A Quarantine Chillaxing Playlist | Teen Ink

A Quarantine Chillaxing Playlist

Lofi hip hop, also known as chillhop, combines calming, ambient music with an upbeat tempo. It's perfect for sleeping, working, and reflecting, however, its primary use is for relaxation. Whether you're tanning on the beach or enjoying a hot cup of coffee, my lofi hip hop music suggestions are perfect to satisfy your stressed-out quarantine mind!

When I first dove into ChillHop, I found “You've Changed” by lophiile. It was love at first sight! The bass synths at the climax of the song bring some dept to the slow piano. Although the lofi tone feels somber, the beat gives the song a melancholy hip hop vibe. This is the type of song I would want to hear while reflecting on my past. I replay past experiences in my head and realize the sheer amount of change that took place over my life. 

The beat in “Overjoyed” by LAKEY INSPIRED gives the song a hip hop feel. The ambient voices and wavering synths give the song a lofi vibe. Overall, the song is bright and colorful. I usually listen to this song to motivate myself. Additionally, I also suggest listening to LAKEY INSPIRED"s “Better Days.” The wonky keys bring me a cultural vibe as if the artist took inspiration from international music. The tone sounds so unnatural and foreign. The bass drop following the calming tones is almost surprising, but not frightening. The layering synths in the background give off this almost eerie vibe, but combined with the wonky keys makes the song vibrant. 

“Crazy Milk” by Dark Cat is the first chillhop song on the list with lyrics. The childlike synths make the song playful, but the bass adds depth to the song. I love the way the lyrics twist like older hip hop tracks do with record players. As a classical musician, I appreciate the combination of hip hop and orchestral instruments. During the instrumentals, you hear the sounds of a violin and cello. Although I believe this is really synths, the sharp cut-offs make the sounds more realistic. 

The beat in “FALLIN” by Origami is what keeps this song popping! As it progresses, the keyboard becomes more prominent. I love the disorganized piano when the bass isn’t overpowered. This song puts me into a reflecting mood. It’s the type of song where you could lie down and close your eyes and let your mind wander. Whenever I listen to this song, I feel as though I am sinking into my bed. For me, this song is relaxing. To my 9-year-old brother, this song is "dope."

“We Ran Out Of Ice Cream” by FOHX狐 instantly gives off childhood vibes. The harmonizing guitar in the background adds an extra spark to the song while the lead guitar keeps the song moving. The snapping makes the song seem like it was written at a backyard party. Also, the little kid screaming about ice cream is amazing! I can only imagine how adorable he is!

Straight off the bat, “The girl i haven’t met” by kudasai is a sad song. The beat almost feels delayed or intentionally slow, probably to give the effect of a somber mood. The keyboard plays a ringing sound that is eerie and simultaneously relaxing. This is the type of song you would hear if the main character in an Anime was listening to music after a heartbreaking experience. 

The song “oneofone_rwk” by eli filosov [ p h i l o ] strongly represents the lofi genre. It’s somber and slow. The voice actress has a beautiful tone. I picture her as someone aching for a lost loved one. This is a lofi rendition of another song called “One of One” by duendita. The original song utilizes a crips piano while this lofi version brings an overwhelming amount of sadness into the song. 

Here’s another sad lofi song that really captures what it means to be lofi. The ukulele in “The Loser” by Zach Farache stands out, which reflects the song’s title. In combination with the sad lyrics, the song is dynamic and depressing. I love the fact that the hip hop portion doesn’t show until the halfway mark when the bass enters. I’ve listened to other work made by Farache, such as "Charlie Brown," but this song is by far the saddest. This type of song compels me to reflect on the failures of my past and might start a long-needed cry-fest. This song proves that not all lofi hip hop songs are sunshine and rainbows.

“To All The Ladies In The Place” by Bassti is a nice transition between somber and bright. The slow beat brings the mood down, but the inclusion of the flute makes the song feel brighter. There is a repeating guitar or synths, however, it’s difficult to tell what it is. Those vibrant sounds bring a soft feel to the song and provide the perfect balance between somber lofi and old school hip hop. 

These are my lofi hip hop suggestions, but the number of chillhop songs is endless. I highly recommend that you listen to some and finally relax during this pandemic.