Those Three Words | Teen Ink

Those Three Words

April 14, 2009
By Color*My*World BRONZE, Bellows Falls, Vermont
Color*My*World BRONZE, Bellows Falls, Vermont
3 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Too often in the hall ways of my middle school I hear the words “I love you” tossed around carelessly. Often I want to stop and ask them what those words mean to them. I’m pretty sure I’d get the fairy tale romance responses, ‘Oh, we are meant to be, that’s why I said it.’ Or ‘I’m just so in love with them.’ Why? ‘Oh, you know. We just like, bond’. Maybe I’d get the peer pressure ‘I feel like I have to’ or ‘Cause everyone does.’ Answers. Well, here’s my opinion. Of course common bonds have to do with love, but so do differences. If you date someone that’s exactly like you, it won’t be very interesting for either of you. Also, love can’t be forced. So if you’re being pressured into saying those three magic words, “I love you”, it’s pretty meaningless. Who would want to pressure someone into saying that? Just cause you make them say it, doesn’t mean they mean it. Love is also about trust. You have to trust someone to have a good relationship. If you start hiding things from someone it becomes a mess and there can’t be love there because that person doesn’t even know you. Which brings me to one of the statements I absolutely dislike, ‘Love at first sight’. How can you love someone the first time you see them? You don’t know anything about their personality, or just who they are. Sure, you can be attracted to some one, or think they’re hot at first sight, but that’s not love. That’s lust. You can’t possibly love someone until you know them. I hate it when people use the word love carelessly. Love is supposed to be special. If you tell every guy you’ve even just thought about hooking up with you love them, it loses it’s meaning. Think before you speak, please.