Those Three Words | Teen Ink

Those Three Words

By Color*My*World BRONZE, Bellows Falls, Vermont
Color*My*World BRONZE, Bellows Falls, Vermont

Too often in the hall ways of my middle school I hear the words “I love you” tossed around carelessly. Often I want to stop and ask them what those words mean to them. I’m pretty sure I’d get the fairy tale romance responses, ‘Oh, we are meant to be, that’s why I said it.’ Or ‘I’m just so in love with them.’ Why? ‘Oh, you know. We just like, bond’. Maybe I’d get the peer pressure ‘I feel like I have to’ or ‘Cause everyone does.’ Answers. Well, here’s my opinion. Of course common bonds have to do with love, but so do differences. If you date someone that’s exactly like you, it won’t be very interesting for either of you. Also, love can’t be forced. So if you’re being pressured into saying those three magic words, “I love you”, it’s pretty meaningless. Who would want to pressure someone into saying that? Just cause you make them say it, doesn’t mean they mean it. Love is also about trust. You have to trust someone to have a good relationship. If you start hiding things from someone it becomes a mess and there can’t be love there because that person doesn’t even know you. Which brings me to one of the statements I absolutely dislike, ‘Love at first sight’. How can you love someone the first time you see them? You don’t know anything about their personality, or just who they are. Sure, you can be attracted to some one, or think they’re hot at first sight, but that’s not love. That’s lust. You can’t possibly love someone until you know them. I hate it when people use the word love carelessly. Love is supposed to be special. If you tell every guy you’ve even just thought about hooking up with you love them, it loses it’s meaning. Think before you speak, please.

on Apr. 18 2018 at 1:08 pm
starrynite57 SILVER, Rio, Illinois
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." -John Lennon

I think some people refer to "love at first sight" as a metaphor in some way, but you're very right on people carelessly tossing around the phrase and same goes for "I love you."

on Dec. 16 2014 at 12:04 pm
Brian110 SILVER, Jonesport, Maine

if life gives you lemons..... squeeze them back in life's eyes!

I agree, you can't truly love someone at "first sight." you have to know as much posible nesasary things about them. I love somone, and its not based on looks, it is baced on her actions.  

on Feb. 13 2011 at 11:48 am
ieshadanai GOLD, Walnut Grove, Mississippi

I love you as much as you love me. So if you hate me then we're even.

I agree how "I Love You' is used in a relationship when you've haven't been together very long.My exboyfriend would say it all the time and it just didn't feel right for me to say it back to him when i did care about him alot but i didn't know him well enough to say those words when it means alot.

xo.forever said...
on Feb. 20 2010 at 7:44 pm
xo.forever, Toronto, Other

And Tomorrow by Tupac

Today is filled with anger, fueled with hidden hate.
Scared of being outkast, afraid of common fate.
Today is build on tragedies which no one want's to face.
Nightmares to humanity and morally disgraced.
Tonight is filled with Rage, violence in the air.
Children bred with ruthlessness cause no one at home cares.
Tonight I lay my head down but the pressure never stops,
knowing that my sanity content when I'm droped.
But tomorrow I see change, a chance to build a new,
build on spirit intent of heart and ideas based on truth.
Tomorrow I wake with second wind and strong because of pride.
I know I fought with all my heart to keep the dream alive.

i'm in love.

-__-

on Feb. 17 2010 at 11:04 pm
NuclearMuse GOLD, Burnsville, Minnesota

"In only two months, Alex became my angel, and in only two months I thought he belonged in heaven, because people like me didn’t deserve to drag him down. But today he is still on earth with me, and now I couldn’t be happier to keep him here." ~ Nikki

I totally see where you're going with this when talking about young couples that haven't been going out very long, etc. etc. However, when friends say it to one another--girl friends to guy friends, girl friends to girl friends, whatever--I think that it's a genuine way of telling someone how you feel.

I tell many people that I love them all the time, because I mean it. There are many types of love and not all of them are romantic.

Also, I feel like when someone says they "bond", they could be totally serious. I know that I "bond" with my best friend, Morey. And not only is he my best friend, but I happen to be in love with him.

And I'm not using that word casually. :P

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
on May. 12 2009 at 7:43 pm
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

Ouch! Oh yeah! Oh yeah! U got totally schooled! oh yeah, she own you! yeah... nice. great work.

on Apr. 18 2009 at 3:23 pm
AliceCullen94 BRONZE, Bronx, New York
u go girrrrl! that was great and so true. keep up da good work!;)