Online Dating | Teen Ink

Online Dating

By theronster SILVER, New Castle, Delaware
theronster SILVER, New Castle, Delaware

" intelligence without ambitious is like a bird without wings"

Nowadays people say online dating is  more difficult than dating in reality. I tend not to believe that but then again this society is a bit messed up now. I have older friends from different sexualities that date online and they tell me that it's so stressful, so being the age that I am now I decided to see if it's actually difficult as people say it is.

I download one of the most famous dating apps out there, Tinder. Tinder is pretty basic. All  that you're doing is swiping left or right to find your  perfect guy or girl. I'm like ok this is will be easy. I put a couple selfies on my profile and simple bio, nothing too explicit.  A week flies by and I already  have three perfect matches. I was ok with that  because I'm the type of guy that knows he's not  the most attractive out there but still tries to have a good outgoing personality. But anyway I messaged one of the girls out of the three. Her name was Jessica, she's 19 and lives in California. I knew that  we weren't going to make a romantic connection because of the distance but she was still an amazing girl to connect with on a friendly level.  I asked what a girl like herself  is searching for love on a dating app for. She told me that most guys out in Cali want a girl with a nice fake body just so they can use them for sex. I was shocked because how can people be only into looks more than a personality on a person. I wonder what gay people felt about that. So I asked my gay friend John.

My friend John  is a real good friend of mine. I've known him since elementary,but after that he moved away to Chicago. We were so close because I was the only one that knew he was gay at the time and when he finally came out he went straight to online dating. So after my tinder experience I asked him how is online dating different for a gay male. He told me that is not different because if you're tall and masculine with an 8- pack you don't receive a message from anyone. I'm just like “wow this society is really messed up.”

We really do need to change the way  we see others in this society. We're human yes and we're not going to be attractive to  everyone we see yes but it's not right that people are attracted to looks more than personality on a person. People will curve a person with an amazing personality and that's not  that  attractive to fall in love with  a person that has a ignorant personality and nice body just so they can treated wrong. It's 2017 and that has to change as soon as possible.

I feel like a lot of people can relate to this.