An Open Letter to the Negative People in My Life | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to the Negative People in My Life

By andi013 BRONZE, Remsen, Iowa
andi013 BRONZE, Remsen, Iowa

Really it's you, not me. 

Anxiety. Depression. Homesickness.

We’ve all felt one, if not all, of these things. Some days are harder than others, and that’s understandable. What is not understandable is why some choose to dwell on these things and let them consume their whole life.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had those days where it is hard to get out of bed, but you have to force yourself to get up because life doesn’t stop. It’s easy to use one of these things as an excuse but not for every single day of your life. There comes a point when you have to tell yourself that even though life may seem unbearable right now, it will get better. You’ve survived one hundred percent of your bad days.

Pardon me when I seem disinterested or the least bit sympathetic with whatever negative thing you’re trying to tell me, but it gets old when that is all I get to listen to when I am around you. It has come to the point where I find myself not even listening to what you are saying to me. It’s exhausting to try and keep up with all the things that are going “wrong” in your life, when I am just trying to keep up with my own life.

I may decide to start being around you less and less as time goes on. Honestly, if you feel offended by this, it is because you should be. You are pushing people out of your life because of the negative energy that is radiating off of you. Just being around you can drag a person down, destroying their mood. Yes, I am happy with my life and the way it is going. No, this does not mean that every aspect in my life is perfect. Everything in your life does not have to be perfect for you to be happy.

We all run into obstacles. We all make mistakes. We all have events going on in our lives that make us feel anxious. We all have some family or friends that we miss. We all have gone through times of being so broken and depressed. But that’s the difference between you and I, I have come to understand that life is too precious to spend it being negative all the time. Life is a joyous thing, and you’re going to miss a lot of amazing times if you constantly have a negative outlook on life. Quit wishing your days by and enjoy every single one of them, whether they are good or bad. Open your eyes before you push away all of the important people in your life.

Sincerely,
The girl who used to be the most negative person, but now looks forward to every single day

Life is too short to spend everyday dwelling on negative emotions. Realize that life it valuable, and one day you're going to wish you could relive the days you wished away.