The English Version of Love | Teen Ink

The English Version of Love

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Love is something that most people desire to, at some point, have.  It is an emotion, or if you prefer, a chemical reaction that is often used when describing the relationship of two humans.  Love is something seen as beautiful… or painful.  It is viewed as something that could start or end a war.  It’s something that is used as a weapon in many cases.  But, at some point everyone desires to feel loved in some way.

My problem is this: the English language has thoroughly ruined the meaning of love as we see it.  I listen to my friends throw it around as if it’s the easiest thing in the world.  “I love pizza.”  “I love going to the movies.”  “I love Harry Styles.”  I internally wince every time I hear it.  Love to me is something sacred, something that should be saved and hidden because it can be a double edged blade, yet they say it so casually.

In other languages… in other places… they understand that.  They see that the sentiment should be something sacred, something saved.  They express the various states of what we English speakers call “love.”

For example, in Japan there are four totally separate ways to say it.  When saying that you ‘love’ something, they say “Sukidesu.  ”When saying that you ‘love’ your friends they would say “Daisuke.”  When saying that you ‘love’ your partner they would say “Aishiteru.”  And when it comes to telling the person that you truly love that you love them, they would say “Koishiteru.”

Love is something treasured, whether it be between family members, friends, or lovers.  It’s something that even the most hardened criminal at some point has thought about or desired.  Love is something spoken about and mentioned in religion, on TV, in songs, in school, at work… everywhere.  Love is something that everyone knows about, no matter how young or where they’re from.  Love is something held in such high regard, yet there are so many misconceptions about it.  Especially in the English language.

English uses the same word far too often in far too many ways.  We use it for the most insignificant things in the most inappropriate situations… at least compared to other places, cultures, and languages.  The lines between “like” and “love” have been blurred by time and cultures. 

Love is an emotion… or a chemical reaction.  It’s sought after.  Desired.  It’s sacred.  It’s treasured.  It’s a weapon.  It’s a curse.  It a gift.  It’s…  It’s love.  So why does the English language blur and maim it so?  That is the problem at hand, something that will bother me… whether it’s at the back of my mind or right in front of me.

“I love pizza.”
“I love going to the movies.”
“I love Harry Styles.”

I love…  It’s just the English version of love that I dislike so much.  It’s the English version of love that I know. 

So what is “love” really?