The Strong Woman | Teen Ink

The Strong Woman

March 30, 2014
By simpleandtrue PLATINUM, Moraga, California
simpleandtrue PLATINUM, Moraga, California
28 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
\'let the life that you live dictate who you are, not Facebook.\'


A strong woman is one who has a clear sense of self. She shines in awareness of her uniqueness and speaks with a steady voice. She does not seek a beautiful place to inspire her footsteps, but makes her community a better place in humbleness. I am not this woman yet; but I want to find her in me.

I want the thorns of my life to lift me into a rose. Each prick is a brick that builds the foundation of my character. And I am past the hurt. I am illuminated by the dark moments that once cornered my memories into shame. These ugly thorns are no longer pitiful; they are the DNA that brings the glow to my face. Today is a new day and I am the only one who can live out my dreams. I am more beautiful than ever, and I need to believe in that.

She belongs to herself and only to herself. Of course, to God too. She is a woman who slips on a ball gown and diamonds on a Monday night for her own fancy. Are you not beautiful if the world does not call you so? Are your efforts wasted if you primp for your own joy, and not for the satisfaction of others?

She blesses her home. Great things come from a beginning. Only God can synthesize from nothingness. Her blessings come from her family and from the power of love.

Last, she must be her own provider. She stands tall in her ability to feed herself, is humble in the strength to steer in her life ship, and breathes her own air. This does not mean that she is selfish, arrogant, or impervious. Her perfume of good affects those around her. Her time is honey, her hands are medicine. Give her some time and she will thrive in the nest of her own.

With eight seconds left in overtime, she’s on my mind. She is in the mirror. Her DNA is mine, and my DNA is hers. Robing myself in faith, I am ready to walk out that door with a greater awareness.


The author's comments:
A strong woman is one who has a clear sense of self.