To The Girls Who Don't Love Themselves | Teen Ink

To The Girls Who Don't Love Themselves

By awestriking BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
awestriking BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Lots of girls wonder why guys can only see them as a pretty face - or even worse, a hot body. Well, I can answer that question. Guys can see how much you value yourself based on how you act — what you say, what you post, etc.

From making degrading comments about yourself to posting an exposing/sensual picture of your body on a social networking site, he can see your low self-worth. He will not see the beautiful personality you may have if all you do is make yourself out to be that pretty face or hot body by seeking attention via conversation or social media. An attention-seeker is ultimately unattractive — it shows insecurity.

Some guys may dig deeper, but most won't even bother. Oh, and ladies, you can't fully blame the guy if he treats you like trash — yes, it's awfully wrong for him to do so, but aren't you letting him do it in the first place? How will he ever learn how he should treat women if you don't teach him?

Anyhow, If you want to be loved for who you are on the inside, and not just the outside, have some sense of self-value. An attractive girl is one who loves herself — for one who loves herself is secure. With self-security comes the ability to love someone else. And isn't that what we're all looking for? To love, and also be loved in return?

If you take away one message from this, let it be this — you cannot love anyone else until you love yourself, and you can only learn to love yourself all alone. True self-worth stems from within.

I wrote this piece after having enough of girls asking why guys won't like them for their personalities rather than their appearances. After seeing these same girls posting 'selfie' after degrading 'selfie' on social media, I finally had to do something about it -- and these words all clicked together so perfectly.

on Jul. 6 2013 at 10:11 pm
awestriking BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
I most definitely will. :)

on Jul. 6 2013 at 4:02 pm
sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

wait nevermind haha...you're welcome. be sure to read some of my work :)

on Jul. 6 2013 at 4:01 pm

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

i see that u commented back, thanks, but i can't see the smessage. can u repost ur comment here? i cant see the first two original ones..

on May. 7 2013 at 8:35 pm
awestriking BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Thank you so much! I'm glad my writing touched you. That's what I aim to do -- spread messages to encourage personal -- and ultimately worldwide -- change.

on Mar. 13 2013 at 10:38 am

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

thanks for writing this!!!!!! This essay really spoke to me. I don't post "selfies" or try to get attention, but i get what your saying and can apply the ending to my own situations. And the last part, about loving yourself first, is really powerful. You look at things really well and your a great write. I wish you the best of luck in your writing career and stay true to yourself and keep thinking this way. you are very wise. :)