The Rules to Being a Good Boyfriend | Teen Ink

The Rules to Being a Good Boyfriend

By Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia
Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia

Psalm 23.

I’ve had a wonderful life. Yeah, it may not be full of that much romance or even that many relationships. But the experiences have been memorable and I’ve definitely learned so much from them. Ah, but you’re not here to read about my life. You’re here to read the rules! Well in my opinion, you first have to understand the girl you want to pursue in your life. And trust me; there are definitely a different variety of them out in the world. This guide is catered more for getting the classy girls that like romance and being treated very well. So if you aren’t here to pursue a girl like that, then you might want to move onto something else.

I digress though. The examples and situations in this list will be used out of my own life experiences, so I hope you won’t be offended by it. If you are, it is my deepest regret. Now having said that, I would also like to add that I am no expert on women, how they behave, or what they really want. This article is mainly composed of what I know of women so far. So without further ado, here are the rules to abide by:

1.
Love your lady for who she is on the inside, not what she looks like. Now that is a very important one in my books. In my eyes, today’s society makes us want to believe that the looks of a girl matters more than her personality and intelligence. I want to challenge that. Like my current girlfriend that is the light of my life, she has cerbal palsy and has trouble with movement. I don’t even look at that. I see a brilliant and caring woman who I am just head-over-heels in love with. Now what you need to do is look to your girl; get to know everything about her, until there is nothing else to learn for now.

2.
Treat your lady with the respect that she deserves. Never forget that. Just because you’re the “man of the house” doesn’t mean you have to treat her poorly and disrespect her. I mean, you came from a woman after all, so therefore you have no right to ever disrespect them. Another point I’d like to make is that your lady chose to be with you, so never forget that.

3.
Make your lady feel like a goddess. Simply, make her feel gorgeous and perfect. I’m not saying give her everything and spoil her rotten, but treat her with care and love. I’ve found that ladies love to feel like they are our entire life, which I believe they should be.

4.
Say “I love you” whenever you can. Now don’t just say it because you think she will want to hear it. Just tell her that because you mean it, from the bottom of your heart and soul. Plus, don’t do this whole “ILY” junk. I’ve found that it just isn’t the same, and if you really can’t spell it out, then can you really mean it?

5.
Take time and listen to your lady. There is a saying I always have liked. “You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Now shut up and listen.” I believe listening is a key essential for any relationship to survive.

6.
Don’t ever be afraid to show your true emotions around your lady. There are times where I just rest my head on my girlfriend’s shoulders and cry for a bit. An emotional connection pretty much makes up a relationship. So never be afraid to show your feelings around your girl. It deepens the connection so much more. As well, showing your emotions doesn’t mean you’re a weak person. It really makes you stronger, not only as a person, but as a couple as well. So shrug off that persona you built up around yourself and let your lady see your deeper side.

7.
Do little things for her to remind her that she is loved. I’m not telling you to buy her expensive things like jewelry and take her out on expensive dinner dates. Those kinds of things are nice and all, but are they so meaningful? Yeah, you could say “I spend my money on her all the time. That must mean I love her.” Well, you don’t have to. You also put gas in your tanks to drive your car. Do you love your car in a relationship like you and your girlfriends? I’d think it would be silly if you were. All in all, I just think the smallest, simplest gifts or items are the much more meaningful. I mean, all you need is something simple like picking her a flower yourself or write her a small poem. It doesn’t take much at all. I know that I text my girl every morning to tell her I love her and have a wonderful day, and she really enjoys it and loves to read them. Alright, I wrap this one up here in a second. Mainly, just do the simple stuff and make her feel loved. Also, as I’ve said earlier; don’t do all this because you feel as though you need to. Do it because you want to.

8.
Comfort her when she is feeling down. I mean, come on! How hard is it to do? If she is feeling down and you know, don’t just walk over and ask “are you ok?” NO! Walk up to her and hug her tightly. Kiss her forehead and tell her it’s going to be alright. If she is crying, hold her until her tears stop and your shoulder is soaked.

9.
Let go of your ego. That’s just as simple as it gets people. Don’t do the whole “Make me a sandwich” shenanigans. Just don’t do it. Instead make her the sandwiches. If she insists your wrong about something, don’t debate it. It’s not about whether or not you’re right, but that you’re willing to check your ego for the sake of your relationship.

10.
She comes first. Always. Very simple stuff right here guys. Now I’m not saying put her ahead of your family life and school, but mainly things that you could reschedule later some other time. In my honest opinion, you can’t get enough time with your loved one. So try and spend as much as you can together.

Well, that’s it so far. I think it would be totally swell if you read this and drop a comment in so that I could continue this list and make it into a perfect example of how us guys should act. If you can’t think of one or just don’t want to say, then thanks for reading this and I hoped you enjoyed it as much as I did when I wrote it!

I just want to see the men of this world start acting with class again and treat there lady's… with respect

Brad said...
Thanks so much for the advice! Most of this stuff I'm pretty well-versed on already, but thanks for the tips!