The Art of Letting Go | Teen Ink

The Art of Letting Go

Sometimes I feel like we have to give up, even if we don’t want to. It is like when you buy one of those “how to grow a butterfly” kits. When you get it, it is a tiny little caterpillar. It is small and helpless and doesn’t know its environment. So you have to feed it and take care of it. Then it goes into its cocoon, like it’s in hiding. Little kids always ask, “where did he go?” The response is that he formed a shell to become something beautiful. Once the shell falls off, you see this beautiful butterflies with colors. The kids are so amused to look at them and see how beautiful they’ve become. Now they have to set them free, so they can live in their natural environment. They don’t want to get rid of them. They want to keep them and watch them. They don’t have a choice though, so they go to an open field and open the top of the net. All the butterflies fly out and they are free. This is to give up, to let go. You put so much time and effort into one person. Just to have to let them go. You are sad, you think it is unfair. You still want them around, you still want to be able to be there for them and for them to be there for you. Sometimes it is better for you to let go though. Because then you too will become a butterfly on your own. Give yourself food, take care of yourself, until you become wrapped in a cocoon. Once you come out of the cocoon, you will become your own butterfly. You will be free and happy. You will see that sometimes letting go isn’t so bad after all.