Fake Friends | Teen Ink

Fake Friends

October 29, 2018
By Anonymous

I have always hated people who were fake.  The people who would manipulate you. The people who would pretend to care about you. The people whose eyes would twinkle with delight, as they talk in their fake caring voices.  The people who would agree with you, but didn’t actually mean it. The people who you thought were your friends, but truly weren’t. They’re your friend one day, and gone the next.  They’re deceiving, manipulative, and selfish. I had a family-friend like that. I would wonder, Why would she do that?  Why would she need to? After years of knowing her, I finally realized.  She needed friends. She felt alone. She was so scared that her friends would leave her, she left them first.  She was lonely, so she hopped from friend to friend, day by day. She was afraid, but what she did didn’t help her, it hurt her.  She thought that manipulating others, bullying others, and pushing other people down, would get her friends, but they don’t; they never will.  

Sometimes being yourself is what gets you friends. After all, a true friend wouldn’t make you change, a true friend would allow you to be comfortable as yourself.  I might never forgive this person, but I understand her a little better now.