Pollution | Teen Ink

Pollution

May 18, 2018
By WillT BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
WillT BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are many problems that we create as humans that are greatly affecting our world. What we're doing is affecting all of the creatures in our world. What were creating in our environment needs to stop! People in places like India, for example, people are suffering because of pollution. People that suffer because they smoke always affects someone else. Fun fact; according to dosomthing, 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, rainwater, and industrial waste are dumped into U.S. rivers and lakes. While children make up 10% of the world's population, over 40% of the global burden of disease falls on them. More than 3 million children die every year from pollution! We need to reduce pollution dramatically or else we as humans won't last but 2 centuries! Only we who created it can stop it! I will be talking about 3 types of pollution that are very harmful the the environment and people; air pollution, water pollution, and radioactive pollution.                                                                   
          

The first and the most common type of pollution is air pollution.
Air pollution is the contamination of the natural air by mixing it with different pollutants such as harmful fumes and chemicals. This contamination can be caused by gases emitted by vehicles,"burning material, or harmful fumes emitted as a byproduct of industries.  The higher the concentration of air pollutants, the harder it is to remove it effectively through natural cycles. The higher concentrations also result in breathing problems for living things. Some effects include increase in smog, higher rain acidity, crop depletion from “bad” oxygen, and higher rates of asthma. According to U.S EPA, global warming is one of the biggest side effects of air pollution.
            

Another and very harmful type of pollution is water pollution. Water pollution is the contamination of the water on Earth. It includes contamination by pollutants such as chemical, bacterial or particulate that reduces the purity of the water. Oil seepage, as well as littering, is one of the most common forms of pollution. Water pollution occurs in lakes, oceans, rivers and even underground reservoirs. Water pollution is one of the most dangerous form of pollution as it decreases the amount of drinkable water that is available. It can also reduce the amount of water that can be used for irrigation as well as harm the wildlife that depend on that water.
              

The last and most deadly type of pollution is radioactive pollution. This type of pollution has risen in the 20th century with the rise of atomic physics and nuclear weapons. Radioactive pollution results in the pollution of the air and land with radioactive poisoning. It can happen from leakages or accidents at nuclear power plants, as well as from unlawful disposal of nuclear waste. This pollution results in birth defects, cancer, reducing of lifespan, and even death. These types of pollution are all harmful to the earth, so we should be mindful about our future!
        

To decrease air pollution we should create air filters to decrease air pollution in places like India, where they can barely see. It is so bad that they have to wear masks outside. With water pollution, it is simple to get rid of, we all just have to stop letting plastics into our water. We also need to stop dumping into our lakes and rivers. Finally, with radioactive pollution, we will need to quit making materials that we don't need, and if we create materials that we need, we need to find a better way to discard of the waist.
        

We will find a way to stop pollution, people every day are working their butt off every day to get rid of pollution, but people think is ok just to throw out a plastic bottle on the side of the road, thinking it will just break down eventually, but it doesn't happen just like that, it takes years to break down and if an animal eats it that animal suffers because of us! Only we can help stop pollution every day. Doing something very simple, like picking up a plastic bottle and throwing it in the recycling bin will help stop pollution every day!

 


The author's comments:

Seeing hundreds apon hundreds of plastic bottles in some of my favorite lakes in Minnesota gave me a wake up call to do somthing about it!