Society vs. Nature | Teen Ink

Society vs. Nature

By Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

Society vs. Nature

We humans are in some ways trees, and in many ways, not. Trees grow and strive to live. We in this sense are much like trees, we strive to live and progress. And yet trees coexist, and harbor no hate in their souls. We humans on the other hand, not only have an incessant need to separate ourselves from nature, but from each other as well. In my own life included, people are constantly scrutinized and made to feel outcast for their minor imperfections. Over the course of my life I have been told I looked young, which I always took as a complement until I reached high school, where for the first time I truly felt like an outcast. I have a baby face, and people find a desire to target that part of my existence and make me feel terrible for this. I have learned that no matter what, I would be scrutinized for something. Humans must learn from nature, because trees never make belittle each other. While our roots may lie in the same ground, our branches seem intent on killing the surrounding trees.

We all have imperfections, so why do we target others as if that makes our own disappear. Fat, skinny, young, old, pretty, ugly, these are all facts, and weaknesses that some feel. Any human has an imperfection, and yet we cut each other down to match our own size. David Thoreau, a transcendentalist, once believed that “If a man walks in the woods is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days shearing off those woods, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.” (Thoreau) this belief is in itself a multi-pronged trident, for it not only points out one man’s scrutiny towards another, but also the man’s indomitable desire to destroy nature, which ironically enough, we would call human nature. Erich Fromm, a German philosopher, once noted, “The danger of the past was that men became slaves.” And “The danger of the future is that man may become robots. (Fromm)” In both acts, man loses his humanity to another, and therefore himself. If man flocked to nature, than man would learn to nurture and therefore re-introduce himself to nature.

Nature coexists, and it should be human’s goal to do the same. While a large majority of society pushes for a separation from nature, some still care for it. The largest advocates of a future with nature are the group Greenpeace. Greenpeace is an organization that fights for a future with nature and often civilly battles with the likes of gas companies to stop them from polluting our earth. Donations are highly needed to keep these transcendental warriors fighting for our humanity. . To really learn about ourselves, we need nature, so the wonderful people from Greenpeace are our flames to light our passage.

Human nature is dependent on Mother Nature. We must learn to nurture from nature otherwise we will be nothing better than the technology that we create. Change does not occur on its own, change must be aided. And the wonderful transcendentalist’s at Greenpeace are our aids to a brighter future. I believe in a future without hate and much more love. Equality is the key, so are you willing to work for it?