Advancement of Cloning | Teen Ink

Advancement of Cloning

November 8, 2018
By cooper_dinnis BRONZE, Brisbane, Other
cooper_dinnis BRONZE, Brisbane, Other
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero


Let's face the facts, animal extinction is increasing at a dangerously fast rate. Though there are many different ideas without advancing cloning research we are fighting a losing battle. Even with only a mere 10% rate of success for cloning within receiving the right funding for research and the motivation of saving a dying world anything is possible.  There are more than 700 animals facing extinction to only one reason, Global Warming. With just only on reason are there are 700 animals facing extinction due to this reason! Think of how many there are with all these different reasons.

The only way we can ever make up for the mistakes we as humans have made would be to protect and stand up for our animal brothers. After all is said and done these animals are dying and even with this low success rate, animals are still facing extinction so at the end of the day Cloning is option and is one I believe we should take a risk for. "I am addicted to the topic of cloning, and I think it is one of the heights of human biology and science. But, I am also against it until scientists work out the kinks. "What 'kinks?'" You may ask? Well, first of all, most clones end up with mutations, such as Twisted or missing limbs... this is including their faces. Also, they can generate despises, like arthritis, earlier in life. Like Dolly the sheep, most clones die prematurely. Now THIS is wrong. Scientists should not clone at all until they are sure that they have worked out the kink. Some people may say: "Cloning can help endangered species and possibly bring extinct animals back to life!" Professor Archer is trying to clone the extinct Thylacinus, most commonly known as the Tasmanian Tiger. If he succeeds, the clone will probably be mutated unless he figures out the problem with the cloning technique that he is using. So I count this as animal cruelty, though the scientists don't intend on the animals to be mutated. But they should work on the technique, and when they think that they have the solution, then try it. It's much more humane." (Debate, 2018). As pointed out in this excerpt there are many cons that come with these pros. But with any issue there are personal options. In this case they bring out the fact that cloning is not perfected and how with cloning comes mutations. So after having the right funding we can perfect this cloning technique and eventually save animals.

Though they believed cloning should not be allowed others believed differently like jwang64 (username on site, Debate), "I'm not particularly concerned with the cloning of extinct animals because they were meant to die because they could not adapt to the changing environments, I think that we should clone endangered animals that we threaten by our own expansion because the animals are suited for their environment, but we are driving them away from their environment. We are doing this with poachers endangering these animals and with human greed not making sustainable living environment. We can also utilize cloning for study purposes. There has been a lot of debate over whether personality is by nature or by nature. By studying basically, the same identity we can determine which is the actual reason behind our personality." (Debate,2018). As pointed out there is no potential harming the animal from the cloning as though the one before pointed out the possibility of mutation but no real damage towards the animal subject to cloning.

In closing with a dying world due to our mistakes cloning provides a whole new world of research and possibilities as there is a new tomorrow on the horizon. So with the right funding pointed towards cloning we can redo our mistakes and learn from our past. With everything said and done I would just like to point out with everything happening in this place at this time cloning is a solution, it may not always be but for right now it is. The world is ever-changing and with this countlessly changing world there is a price to pay for global warming, but by having cloning we can have these animals around us that are vital to our survival. Thank you for your time today and I hope you enjoyed my speech.