No More Steriods | Teen Ink

No More Steriods

By Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York
Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander The Great

This is to all you teenagers and adults out there. Did it ever come to your mind how professional athletes and your friends are always growing and improving their appearance? Well you should have the right to know that it’s because they’re on steroids, and you will be surprised how many people use them these days. Steroids shouldn’t be used among kids, teens, and adults because they will only lead to disasters, and there is no good reason taking them at all.

Steroids caused athletes like Taylor Hooton to commit suicide. This tragic event happened on a summer before Taylor’s senior year, when Taylor went upstairs to his bedroom and hanged himself. After the police had come and searched his bedroom they had found a stash of anabolic steroids. His parents had seen however before his tragic death that Taylor had really bulked up. They noticed that Taylors been training hard and they believed that his new muscles were a result of his intense weight lifting and the strict regimen of protein shakes not knowing that he was really on drugs. While however the real shocking story was when Taylor was 16, a coach in his hometown had told him that if he wanted to make it in teams he’d need to get bigger. Knowing this Taylor started going on steroids like half of the boys on his baseball team. Doctors told his parents how all the signs of steroid abuse were there: Taylor had developed severe acne and his parents had sent him to a psychiatrist because he had become moody and depressed, but no one had been able to put it all together at that time. So if you get all bulked up and then you kill yourself, what’s the point in taking steroids at all? 

Taking steroids has been the down-fall of many famous athletes. Many professional and Olympic athletes had been stripped of their awards and medals—after admitting to doping. More recently, cyclist Lance Armstrong admitted to having doped for years. He was stripped of all his medals, including his seven Tour de France wins, and banned from cycling for life. Also Baseball stars like Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun have also been implicated in doping sandals. What a SHAME!!! Some athletes take steroids as performance-enhancing drugs to quickly build muscle and endurance. The only catch that agreed with was that it’s banned in professional sports-and it’s against the law. If you win all those medals and awards and then get them taken away from you then all the drugs you just put in your body was for no reason, then don’t take it at all for crying out loud!!!!

Although many athletes, teens, and kids try to maintain their strength, they also try to bulk up using steroids not realizing that they are harming their bodies. According to a 2012 study in the journal Pediatrics how teens (ages 12-18) have used steroids in their “quest” to bulk up. Yet only a few realize what these drugs do to their bodies. For both girls and boys, steroids can cause extreme acne on the face, back, and chest; permanent baldness; stunted growth; cancer and heart disease. It also causes a change in behavior, causing uncontrolled fits of range and irrational thinking, and if you think you can just quit well it’s never that simple in life because if you stop taking steroids without the help of a doctor, you will not like the result because you’ll start having deep and suicidal thoughts. Yet, steroids still continue to make headlines and a big risk to their heath- and to their lives-by using these drugs.

So if you ever think of bulking up do it the right way, without using steroids because you’ll only harm your body. That goes for both boys and girls of all ages including the most popular time for taking steroids which is when you’re a teenager. So before doing something stupid and life changing like using steroids remember everything in this blog, that it’s illegal to use steroids without a doctor’s permission, and that’s likely to get you killed one way or the other. And if you think those are good reasons for taking steroids than you’re wrong because no matter the reason there will never be a good reason.

people shouldn't be on drugs so they can succed in sports its how hard they work at achieving their goals in those sports is what makes them different and more successful then everybody else.