Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

As a fifteen year old student in high school the idea of legalizing marijuana is not so smart. Many of the kids at my high school do drugs, smoke, or drink. Legalizing marijuana will just make matters worse. The number of kids who are doing drugs, etc. will rise in huge numbers, because it will be easier for them to buy it and sell it. Marijuana can be prescribed, for people who don’t need it; it can be bad for their health. I understand the economy is doing badly and once we legalize marijuana in more cities the government will get the tax to help the economy. Once someone uses this harmful narcotic they may not act the same and you could lose them as a friend or a family member. Marijuana can cause people to see differently and act differently. Overall the idea of legalizing marijuana is not a dumb idea, jus the people need to look at it a different way. They need to see the outcome of a person who uses it.

kourtyxx said...
on Jan. 30 2014 at 9:54 am
I'm guessing you're saying this because you smoke yourself. Marijuana is given to cancer patients because they know that they already don't have much longer to live. They give it to them to help numb the pain. Marijuana is harmful, physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and more... It harms your lungs, first off. It increases your heart rate, making it easier for you to have a heart attack. It can cause people that have never had anxiety before to have very bad anxiety/panick attacks. It can cause hallucinations under certain cercumstances. Even if there aren't any addictive properties in it, it is very addicting mentally. Some marijuana users will use cigar wrappers (or blunts) which contain nicotine in them, making marijuana addictive. Most of the people I know who smoke everyday, hate their lives unless they are high. They feel depressed or mad when they are sober, but happy when they are high. It becomes the only thing that matters to them. Next thing you know, you'll forget to buy your family Christmas presents, birthday presents, what time to come home, and where you're even at. You'll start to lose your friends, family, money, home, and your life in general. Basically, it's just not meant to be consumed. The only reason it is given to people as medicine is because it helps numb their pain. I don't think that one little positive thing should be overlooked by all the hundreds of negative things. It is harmful whether you think so or not. You should really do some research and educate yourself before you go posting stuff like that. Haven't you ever wondered why people that used to smoke everyday have STOPPED? There's a reason. Smoking marijuana could be one of the worst mistakes you ever make in your life, trust me.

MasonSherrie said...
Some time ago, I did need to buy a building for my corporation but I did not earn enough money and couldn't order something. Thank goodness my friend adviced to take the mortgage loans at reliable creditors. Thence, I did that and was happy with my collateral loan.

DeleteMe said...
DeleteMe, Nampa, Idaho
I disagree. Marijuana should definitely be legalized. It's not nearly as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes are, and it's not even addictive. There are zero withdrawal symptoms and if it's mentally addicting at all, it's much lower than any drug. Throughout all of history, there has never ever been one single report of someone dying because of marijuana. Think of all the people who die every year from smoking or drinking and driving, yet those things are still socially acceptable. Marijuana can help, otherwise it wouldn't be prescribed. There's a taboo surrounding marijuana because it's illegal, therefore placing it among the much harder drugs such as cocaine and heroine. That's the problem. Marijuana doesn't belong amongst those drugs. Marijuana isn't harmful! Why would they be offering it to cancer patients if it were? The only harmful effects from smoking marijuana is the smoking part. Smoking anything will do a little lung damage in large quantities.

Yessica BRONZE said...
Yessica BRONZE, Everson, Washington

Life goes on.

LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! its not bad for you, it cant kill you. the freakin government can get money out of it if they wanted to! life would be easier if they legalized it!

LilMissTatiana BRONZE, Havelock, North Carolina

Life with regrets, isnt worth living

I think it should be legalized. i mean, if it were as bad as most people say it is, doctors wouldnt prescribe it to people with ailments like PTSD, AIDS and even eating disorders. i believe it should be legal in every state for people over the age of 18. you hear about over 100,000 deaths yearly i america due to overdoses on alcohol and other drugs, but you never hear about a marijuana induced death. economies would be so much better off if Marijuana were legalized as well...just saying

Believe_me BRONZE, Hickory, Mississippi

"Everything the government touches turns to crap." Ringo Starr

So, I'm seeing alot of people saying that marijuana has little health efects. I was told by a professional that it rewires part of your brain... Can someone explain please?

Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

First of all, Marijuana is not really a narcotic, or bad for you. It's only danger is the smoke in your lungs, and that can be counteracted by ingesting it. Don't buy into the brainwash and do some reasearch. Secondly, if you do believe it's dangerous, what gives you the right to take away someone's choice to do it? Why should they be restricted? The government isn't here to protect our health, they're here to protect our rights to freedom. Illegalization of marijuana is a direct violation of that creed, a blockade of the pursuit of happines.

xXsharellieXx BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

"I would die whithout books."-Thomas Jefferson

I thiknk they should. When people smoke and drink they are doing just about the same damage to themselves as if they were getting stoned and at least when you aren't causing any accidents for trying to drive. You are most likely just sitting there. Also, if they legalized it, that is less crime over one less illlegal drug/

bnljack said...
bnljack, Vienna, Virginia
actually, amsterdam has decriminalized marijuana, and they have one of the lowest drug addiction rates in the world...

ricky2013 said...

i see youve been brainwashed pretty well. I guess its too late for you but well try and save the others if we can.

requiescat in pace

videotaped GOLD, Geneva, New York

"Hope and Memory have one daughter and her name is Art, and she has built her dwelling far from the desperate field where men hang out their garments upon forked boughs to be banners of battle. O beloved daughter of Hope and Memory, be with me for a little."
- The Celtic Twilight, W. B. Yeats

I personally agree with a lot of what you say. However, I wish that you would back your opinions up with facts - cite research, newspapers, etc. It's a good basis for the article but doesn't give the reader a lot to dig into. Add more meat to the bones, as my middle-school English teacher told us.

MJ5gram said...
i agree with u completely

DANNY said...
I may have seen close people from my family do this and theur doing just fine they have kids with no problems with health wats so ever.

Hzano said...
on Apr. 14 2010 at 10:53 am
Hzano, Antwerp, Other

Just because you legalize it doesnt mean all the kids in your school would do it- it may in fact be considered to be less cool. It boosts adrenaline to break rules and if marijuana is not prohibited...  what's the fun in taking it? You won't look as cool as if it were. Of course people will do it, with or without the restriction. Marijuana I think should be legalized, that way the reverse psycology might minimize or decrease the consumption. They have done this in the Netherlands, in Amsterdam, and it effected the consumation..

Besides, Marijuana isn't that bad

WhiteWinter BRONZE, Briarcliff, New York

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

I respect your opinion, but some of this is loosely researched, at best. Marijuana has few to no harmful effects (it can lead to respiratory cancer when smoked, but when eaten or "vaporized", the harmful smoke factor is eliminated). As you mentioned, state economies would be helped; medical marijuana, while extremely helpful and useful, is not very beneficiary to state budgets like California, which needs a lot of help. California can save 20,000 teaching jobs with the legalization of marijuana in a matter of a few years, which is groundbreaking. Legal or not, it'll exist in high schools and below, high schools and above, so why send hundreds of thousand marijuana smokers to prison (for life, in a lot of drug dealing cases), instead of catching and harboring REAL criminals. There's my side; what do you think?

MaryJane420 said...
It is completly natural as far as harming you the only thing is the smoke but I don't see anyone making ciggerets illegal when they are WAY more harmful than Marijuana....I think you should do some more research and get a little more facts about it.

Blunt'aq_420 said...
sum people think its like good for you so they could be more healthy but keep it up write about how they effect you

BHUNT22 BRONZE said...
BHUNT22 BRONZE, Glendale, Wisconsin

"Life goes on"

you should check this out, if you actually feel strongly about this issue

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

A very honest opinion that I happen to agree with.

God bless,

...,

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

I totally agree this is vary good marijuana is need for sick people but it shouldn't be abused