Sexism in Dress Codes | Teen Ink

Sexism in Dress Codes

April 3, 2019
By gabyhawk BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio
gabyhawk BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion."
-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


School dress codes are an example of sexism in everyday culture. The battle against this sexism found in dress codes is one fought almost every weekday by girls all over the country.

Often times, the excuse for sexism in dress codes is that girls are a distraction to boys in the classroom when they wear clothing that violates the dress code. However, “Blaming girls for the distraction of boys and male teachers prioritizes the education and comfort of boys and men by exerting control over girls and women and what they do with their bodies.” (Feasby 22) This eliminates the freedom of choice for girls, limiting their options of ways to express themselves. Clothing is a safe way for teens to express themselves without hurting themselves or others. If this freedom of choice is limited, teens may make rash decisions and do something they’ll regret.

School dress codes often support the idea that “‘woman’ [is] associated with the body while ‘man’ is linked with the mind” (Mascia-Lees 210). This is a common belief among society, especially in schools. As seen in many dress codes, including my high school’s, there are many more rules regarding dress for girls than there are for boys. This is associated with the belief Mascia-Lees talks about. According to these people, while the boys should be busy worrying about learning, the girls should be busy worrying about what to wear. This belief enrages many.

These sexist rules affect girls’ attitudes not only towards society, but also towards themselves. As Feasby writes, “the association of girls’ and women’s natural bodies with these negative perceptions [about girls’ responsibility for the school’s moral climate] creates stigmas about certain parts of the body and attire worn” (22). These stigmas often cause teenage girls to develop self esteem issues, depression, and/or anxiety.

Many have attributed sexist dress codes to the popularity of rape culture. Rowena Lindsay Staff writes that many campaigns have, “criticized the school dress codes for making girls responsible for preventing harassment from boys - logic that, they argue, contributes to rape culture where victims are blamed for dressing provocatively.”

When writing dress codes, schools need to consider what clothes are available for girls and boys. Because society has sexualized women’s bodies, clothing manufacturers no longer produce as much modest clothing. This leaves most girls with little choice of what to buy. However, most boys’ clothing isn’t made to show off their bodies. This makes the playing field uneven for girls simply because of society’s faults.

To stop sexism from continuing into future generations, parents need to teach children to stand up against it. As Feasby wrote, “The body is a notebook where cultural meanings of character and value are inscribed, allowing the world to read bodies based on preconceived biases.” If parents eliminate the prejudices, stereotypes, and discrimination early on, these children will grow up to be people who aren’t quick to judge, a trait everyone should have.