The Elephant in the Classroom | Teen Ink

The Elephant in the Classroom

May 18, 2017
By Daniel_May27 SILVER, Buffalo, New York
Daniel_May27 SILVER, Buffalo, New York
5 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is little success where there is little laughter.


Pollution. Deforestation. Climate change. These are all collective issues in modern day society that are enhancing and provoking many challenging obstacles in our central government.  However, there is a single, extensive, problem that lies in our government FOR the people, created BY the people. The children of Illegal Immigrants, or anchor babies, gaining individual access to public education, which in turn leads to a tremendous weight of unfairness not recorded in imperial pounds, but in the neglection of verified U.S. children. In a general basis, children of illegal immigrants should not be entitled to receive public education or portray the role of an American student in an educational status due to the increased amount of stress laid upon the economic portion of the government.  

 

At the present time, more than 50,000 unaccompanied children cross the border each year putting stress on their families, but more importantly, on the stability and endurance of the U.S. Government.  Like a nail striking a rock, they economy slowly starts to “chip away” with the addition of more and more illegal immigrants. According to Genevieve Wood from heritage, it costs the government on average $12,000 per year to educate each student in a public school. Taxpayers spend over $440 million a year just on english instruction classes alone. This does not include undocumented children, which by the way, tack on even more money owed to the government from taxpayers. As the number of undocumented children increase in the U.S., so does the fiscal burden of taxpayers in the U.S. The fiscal burden of illegal immigration on United States taxpayers is ridiculous. Stated directly from fairus, “Education for the children of illegal aliens constitutes the single largest cost to taxpayers, at an annual price tag of nearly $52 billion.” Taxpayers’ single, largest cost, is spent on the education of children we don’t know, don’t share blood with, and most importantly, don’t share the same papers with. These facts alone should be suffice to show how much of a monetary strain is placed on taxpayers and legal citizens of this country.


Equally important to the economic strain resulting from this dilemma is the burden on financial issues of public schools. Public schools are financially circling the drain  due to the prolonged spending  on the education of undocumented children. Once again from fairus, “Public school districts across the United States are suffering under a massive unfunded mandate imposed by the federal government: the requirement to educate millions of illegal aliens, the school age children of illegal aliens, refugees and legal immigrant students.” It currently costs public schools $59 million to serve this lamentable, blossoming population.  Schools are expected to fund programs such as LEP, Limited English Proficiency, in hope of advancing the use of the english language by undocumented children.  But that’s about the only thing it advances.  Programs such as these serve as an “electrical outlet”. Outlets normally serve as an interface between two boundaries, one receiving and one giving. On the receiving end are the illegal immigrants while on the giving end is the taxpayers and public schools of this nation.  Soon enough the fuse box, or the government, is going to blow a specific fuse because of extended use from the receiving end.  This will in turn lead to the shutting down of other and various fuses, some of which may be public schools. The fact of the matter is, public schools are spending so much money they don’t have on programs for undocumented children that they can’t afford to run programs for legal kids of this country. As quoted from fairus, “In many municipalities, LEP programs are growing faster than the school district's ability to run or fund them effectively”.  If this keeps up, the future of public schools will rest in the hands of fate- and for the sake of this country,  let's sincerely hope those hands aren’t the ones of illegal aliens.


In spite of there being many people who are against undocumented children receiving public education, there are those who attach this weight of unfairness to the, “song and dance”, of political correctness. For instance, take freshman Belle Rojas. Once during an interview, Rojas said, “I think regardless of the fact that their parents are illegal immigrants, the children should still be entitled to a public education because it’s not their fault at all, they didn’t have a choice on whether or not to be illegal immigrants.” People like Rojas claim that it’s the parents’ fault that the children  are in the country and that they shouldn’t have to pay the price of their parent’s actions.  Well Rojas,  if the children aren’t  going to pay the price of their parents’ faults, who is? Certainly not the parents. According to Yeileny Lopez from CavsConnect, “Others may think these children shouldn’t be entitled to a public education because their parents do not pay taxes and their education would come at the cost of tax payers money.” Even a sniper rifle couldn’t have been more dead on with that statement. Rojas and company think that taxpayers can cover up the expenses made by the intrusion of immigrants and the act of their children attending public schools. However, vital economic resources such as money will not be able to keep patching up the holes made illegal aliens. Eventually, there won’t be anything left to patch up.


As argued in the above paragraphs, children of illegal immigrants should not be allowed to take up the role of an american student due to the negative effects it produces on our economy and public schools. Instead of allowing them to attend the schools run by taxpayers of this nation, the U.S. should build separate schools paid for and run by the Mexican government specifically for the children of illegal immigrants.  Until this problem is fixed, however, the U.S. government is going to continue to allow undocumented children to attend public schools regardless of the damage it causes. That damage, as insignificant as it may seem, could have the potential to alter our government- or even our country- for the worse.  Sonya Levien puts it perfectly, “Small things have a way of overmastering the great. This small press can destroy a kingdom”.


The author's comments:

This argument is striclty based on opinion. No harm is meant.