Respect Our Right | Teen Ink

Respect Our Right

By lil04 BRONZE, Coulee Dam, Washington
lil04 BRONZE, Coulee Dam, Washington

"No rain, no flowers." -unknown

The Second Amendment has been a huge debate in America for quite some time now. People are confused about how to feel anymore... are guns dangerous? Or is the person who possesses the gun dangerous? I believe in the right hands, we have the right to bear arms. Guns are part of the Constitution, and I will fight to protect them.
Guns are helpful to us simply because we can't always be 100% dependent on the police. "The average police response time for verified (audio or video) alarm police dispatches is around seven minutes, nationwide, according to Chelsea Mitchell from Secure Pacific Corp." (DeMille). For a real life example, Sarah McKinley is a teen mom who lives alone with her 3-month-old son. An intruder came to her house, and she had time to call the police. However, he was threatening and almost to the point of going inside and attacking. As she was on the phone with a dispatcher, he came in, and she shot him to protect herself and her baby (Crimesider Staff). Point being, police will not always get there in time to save you, so make it an option to save yourself.

Not only are guns helpful to us, but we just simply have the right... as stated in the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (U.S. Const. Amend. II). To break it down, "The 2nd Amendment states that people have the right to keep a weapon and to use it to protect themselves" (Alchin). If the ownership of guns really put our country in peril, don't you think the Constitution would be revised? I mean, think about it . . . our government do what they can to keep America safe. Based on the many safety laws we already have, I assume the government would rule out the gun ownership if they agreed it was a hazard.
Guns are a great gadget used for self defense, but what if someone decides to hold a mass shooting? Though there are people who use guns for horrible reasons, there are wholehearted protectors too. Since June 23, 2015 there have been at least 12 different times (in the article I've linked) that high school shootings and other scenarios have resulted in fewer deaths and injuries (or none) because there was an armed bystander (Roosevelt). You don't need to carry a gun with you everywhere you go. However, if you want to be on the safe side, you should at least keep a handgun in your vehicle. It's simply beneficial to your life. If a threatening event happened to occur where a gun would be useful, you'd be set because you own one.

In conclusion, guns are helpful and necessary (according to the Second Amendment) to the human environment. Not only are they for self defense, but they are there for you to help protect others too. Make a safe decision and own a handgun.