Death Of (and By) Guns | Teen Ink

Death Of (and By) Guns

I don't know about you, but I grew up learning that I shouldn't air my political opinions out in public. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and sharing mine could piss people off or unkowingly prevent me from getting a job. But at this point, I can't NOT say anything. Because I need to do as much in my power to fix the gun problem in America. I know their are thousands, millions of articles on this issue, especially after recent events. This debate gets brought up after every large mass shooting, and still, here we are. Void of any change or regulation despite the pattern of people senselessly killed in our nation. I don't know about you, but I'm angry. At shooters for destroying the lives of innocent people, at my lawmakers for their incompetency and inaction, and at myself. For getting used to hearing about shootings on the news. For not sharing my opinion to add to this necessary and lengthy discussion. For being scared to live in a country where anyone can shoot anyone at anytime. Enough is enough.

I don't think I know everything on this topic, in fact I know I don't. I am constantly learning more and am the first to say I don't know what the solution is. This is an incredibly complex problem intertwined with deep rooted American gun culture, ISIS, mental health issues, etc. You touched on it as well, but while I don't have a solution to end all gun deaths, I think gun control is important to at least try and minimize it. If we can minimize deaths, why don't we try to? It seems that our country has made a choice. That we can have our children die in schools and moviegoers in theaters and regular citizens anywhere. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make as long as we get to keep our guns. We've all heard the facts. No other industrialized nation has anywhere near the firearm problem we have, there's enough guns for every man, woman, in child in our country, etc...It seems our nation has heard the facts and made a choice. Maybe not our entire nation, but at least our lawmakers and some of the 2nd-amendment obsessed population. But the sacrifices are becoming more and more frequent, and to be complacent with lives lost is maddening. Criminals may be able to still get guns if we tighten gun control, sure. It may not work. But we haven't tried. We look at other countries where gun control has worked and we make excuses about why it wouldn't work here, when we simply haven't tried.

I think in a perfect world, Americans should not have guns, and this is my rationale. The only purpose of a gun is to kill. When people use the "getting a driver's license" analogy, it's not the same. It's just not analogous. Cars are used to transport people places and deaths by accidents are consequences that result. The main objective of driving is not to hurt anyone. The main objective of using a gun IS.  You can put it in different terms, like guns are meant to defend or just to hurt, but ultimately you defend yourself with a gun by killing/hurting the other person first. Putting a gun in any situation escalates the situation. Most firearm deaths are actually from suicide. Research has shown that suicide rates fall drastically when people do not have access to a gun. Suicide is often an impulsive action that has almost 100% success rate with a gun around. Having a gun immediately and radically escalates any situation, whether that gun be used towards yourself or others. But this is not a perfect world, and the outdated Second Amendment is so ingrained in our nation that this isn't a conversation America is anywhere near ready to have.

I think a conversation we can, and should have is on the EXTRA ridiculous gun rules. Or rather, lack of. I also agree with you-I believe stricter gun control will help reduce (not end) gun violence. Why are everyday civilians able to purchase assault rifles. Why would you ever need a weapon meant to eradicate a large amount of people if it isn't to eradicate a large amount of people? Even the name speaks for itself; It is called AN ASSAULT rifle, not a self-defense rifle. Their is absolutely no reason or purpose any civilian should be able to buy an assault rifle, point blank. Another loophole that makes utterly no sense is the ease of gun access. You can buy an assault weapon without proof of ID in more than thirty states, and only eight states require universal background checks. You can't even vote, in any state for that matter, without proof of ID.  Why is it easier to buy a gun than to vote??? I don't believe a car is analogous to a gun because a gun's purpose is worse than a car's, yet it is the car that needs a license? Why can someone be potentially dangerous, enough where they are on the no fly list and tracked by the FBI or they an ex-convict, and still be able to obtain a gun? These are questions that have no rational answers. People receive background checks for new employment. Owning a gun is like getting a new job: Don't kill anyone. And I know, I know, many murderers who obtain guns don't have anything on their background check. But many do. And why not prevent deaths if we can? If these ludicrous loopholes did not exist, so many people would not have to burying their family member, lover, or friend right now. I just urge the gun lovers to think about if it happened to them. To their child. Would they change their minds? Just because it doesn't happen to them doesn't mean they shouldn't care. Because it very easily could.

To address some of the pro-gun arguments, here are some of the ones I hear the most. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." But people kill more people when they have guns. Could you kill fifty people in a nightclub with a knife? I understand their are other weapons out there and people will then bring out points like homemade bombs or illegally obtained guns. But that seems to be saying our nation has a set number of bad or mentally ill people. And those set people will find ways to harm others or themselves regardless. But that is simply untrue. Yes, there is a small percentage of crazies that will do as much damage, whether it be legal or illegal. Yet that is not the majority. Most shooters are not crazy, they are inspired. The spread of mass shootings specifically is a domino effect. They see the infamy and glory a shooter receives, and that seed is planted. And normal people become mass shooters. People who have had too much to drink become murderers. Healthy people going through a rough time commit suicide because it is available.

Another argument I want to address very quickly is the idea that the only thing stopping a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Unfortunately, no mass shooter in the past thirty years has ever been stopped by an armed civilian. I've read comments saying, "If only the nightclub goers were protected and had guns." Really? You want alot of intoxicated people in one dark crowded room to have guns? Does seem like it would solve or heighten the problem? Wouldn't it be better for the bad guy not to have the gun in the first place? The sad thing is that after every mass shooting, gun sales skyrocket. It's just free goddamn advertising.

I know there are so many points of this debate I haven't covered. I also understand that due to my socioeconomic background, I haven't experienced a life where I need a gun to survive and defend myself. I don't want anyone to have to.There are two sides to every story, and I voice my opinion not to silence others, but to add my perspective into this muc needed conversation.

It's safe to say we have a problem. Now, it is the choice to act upon it or not. The NRA has so much influence in our political system that it seems the public's voice is drowned out by their money. You know, we used to say people were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet that's not true. People can be gunned down anywhere, anytime while living their normal lives. Please, write to your lawmakers. Please do not become desensitized to mass shootings or suicide or death. Because I don't know about you, but I am fed up. Where does it stop?

on Jun. 27 2016 at 9:17 pm
JustAnIdea SILVER, Moraga, California

"Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" ~Friedrich Nietzsche

This is so blatantly put and stated, and it gets straight to the point. I completely agree with this entire article - the only people with guns should be those who truly need them - FEDERAL law enforcement and military.