The Flint Fiasco | Teen Ink

The Flint Fiasco

By BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin
BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin

I am good, but not an angel
I do sin, but I am not the devil
I am pretty, but not beautiful
I do have friends, but I am not the peacemaker

"Politicians get paid to take care of the people," Willester Dunn says. "They let us down in [Flint] Michigan. They lock us up for our crimes, what are they going to do about theirs?".  People are calling this fiasco the next hurricane Katrina.  According to CNN, for the last year and a half Flint Michigan has been drinking lead infested water; because of the city's financial emergency, the state decided to temporarily switch Flint's water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River as a cost-saving measure until a new supply line to Lake Huron was ready. The river is notoriously known for its nasty water and after the April 2014 switch, Flint residents complained their water looked, smelled, and tasted funny.  So who is to blame for this issue?

Who’s to blame?  According to the evidence shown Rick Snyder is to blame.  "I hate his guts," Coco Childress said about Snyder. "I'm not happy at all. I'm ready to move.", many Flint residents are blaming Snyder for the fiasco.  In April 2014, officials from the office of Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder approved funneling water from the Flint River for resident's supply, reports CNN.  Though Karen Weaver is the current mayor of Flint, she was just elected and was not part of the decision.  ABC News reports that suits were filed against Gov. Snyder, Michigan Department of Health & Human Services, the State Department of Environmental Quality, and government and county officials.  Though Snyder has apologized for his actions the damage has already been done. 

Thought damage has been done, there are still ways to make this right.  According to CNN Rick Snyder has asked for $28 million to go towards bottled water, assistance to Flint to help with utility-related issues, testing and replacing fixtures in schools and other high-risk locations, treatment of children with high lead levels, services for the treatment of potential behavioral health issues, support for children and adolescent health centers, and infrastructure integrity study for pipes and connections.  A solution for this problem would be for a part of the money that they receive should go to getting newer pipes that are not made of lead and to use the cleaning solution that was supposed to go into Flint’s water in the first place -According to CNN 2011 study found that before water from the Flint River could be considered potable, it would need to be treated with an anti-corrosion agent, a measure that would have cost the state about $100 a day.  Experts say that water treatment would have prevented 90% of the problems with Flint's water.-.  Was this issue easily avoided, yes, but was it, no. 

All in all, this issue should never have happened.  The person to blame: Rick Snyder because his lack of judgment, when switching over to Flint’s lake that is well known for being absolutely disgusting, and then deciding to not use the anti-corrosion agent.  A solution for the issue would be for some of the $28 million dollars to go towards better pipes and the anti-corrosion agent.  “Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives”- Ronald Reagan.