Is Poverty a Choice? | Teen Ink

Is Poverty a Choice?

By Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York

If you want it, Go get it, no matter what it is in the way or the sacrifice for it.

Do people who are currently in poverty choose to be in poverty, do they put themselves in that situation? People worldwide are living in poverty, so bad that they are uncertain that they will wake up the next day! In America poverty is one of the main focuses that we are trying to decrease, but some say we should not help the poor because they did it to themselves. But can people get out of Poverty.

Do people in Poverty make themselves in poverty? A middle school student says “Yes, if you are spending it on drugs and wrong things, you’re going to be living in the hood with slums, not some big house.” Some poor people do spend it on drugs and then later on complain about being poor, when they do it to themselves. Money in the 21st century is basically everything now and if you are not wise enough or responsible to handle the money you have, then you’re not going to be happy with the consequences.

There are more than 50 million Americans below the poverty line. In 2014 about 46.7 million people were in poverty. In 2014 about 15.5 million children were in poverty. It is sad that children, under the age of 18, are born into the mess their parents caused. In 2014, about 4.6 million seniors are living in poverty. Most of the poor are living with the food insecurity. This is 2014; in 2015 the numbers have increased.

When people are in poverty it affects their social circle. Some people who are in poverty can’t support their children or other people. People who are in poverty need to be encouraged, so that those being in poverty can support other people. 

Can people in poverty get out? A girl student says “Yes, by working, it isn’t too hard”. And a boy student at the same school says “No, I don’t think you can get out of poverty”. My answer is yes and no, because it depends how bad you want to get out of poverty, you have to be determined. If you are lazy, then you are not going to get out of poverty. If you are in Poverty, it has to be your main goal to get out of it, or it won’t work.

Will we encourage the determination it takes to get out of poverty? Most people laugh when they see poor people eating from garbage cans, collecting bottles. And the truth is if it was you, whose home would be an alley; would you like to be the joke of the day? Let’s encourage.

Can people in poverty get out? Yes or no, explain why? Answer this by commenting.

Poverty is a main focus in America.