The helmet debate | Teen Ink

The helmet debate

By EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other

I've recently been skiing in Meribel, in the French alps. This was also the site of Michael Schumacher's recent accident. The ex formula one driver was skiing off piste and hit his head on a rock resulting in a him being in a condition so critical that he had to be put into a medically induced coma. What you may be surprised to hear is that despite the consequences he was wearing at helmet at the time.

When skiing in Europe over the past few years I've witnessed at least half of my fellow skiers and some snowboarders wearing only hats or even worse, only on their heads. Prioritising their aesthetics over their safety. Yet I have to admit I also commit to the crime in question. My reasoning behind this is that as I'm already embracing the mountain by throwing myself down it I'm willing to take the risk. Therefore the helmet hair one has to bear at lunch, and the very hot head force the possibility of serious damage into the back seat.

I'm aware that there are blatant issues with the way I, and many others, excuse our behaviour. However, for me by participating in winter sports I'm taking those risks.