Our Citizen Defense | Teen Ink

Our Citizen Defense

March 11, 2010
By rymoe95 BRONZE, Eatonville, Washington
rymoe95 BRONZE, Eatonville, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine a world where citizens cannot own guns. At first glance, you may think this world would be perfect, but it goes deeper than crime and the law. Guns do not cause crime. In fact less than 10% of criminals actually use guns. Although it has been recently discussed, banning firearms cannot solve the country’s problems. Citizens deserve the right to own handguns and use them in defense, based upon the second amendment. This right should not be taken away.

In 2008, the courts ruled that a former Washington D.C. ban on handguns was unconstitutional, based upon the second amendment, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. The District of Columbia appealed the ruling, but the Supreme Court agreed with the court’s decision, repealing Washington D.C.’s law against handguns. This ruling shows that people should be allowed to own handguns. Even the courts now believe that the people have the right to bear arms.

“…Now, I doubt any of you would prefer a rolled up newspaper as a weapon against a dictator or a criminal intruder. Yet in essence, that is what you have asked our loved ones to do, trough an ill-contrived and totally naïve campaign against the Second Amendment…” As former NRA president Charlton Heston said above, guns do more than get involved in crimes. In fact, every thirteen seconds in America, someone uses a gun to stop a crime. Although guns still are used in crimes, less than 10% of criminal cases since 1993 involve a gun, according to the Department of Justice, and many of those were never used. Some people think that banning guns will bring this statistic even lower. However, many criminals can get guns through out of country, illegal dealers. A ban on handguns would only take them out of the hands of honest civilians, and leave our criminals well-armed in comparison to the defenseless people. Without anyway to protect ourselves, the crime rate would soon soar.

Guns are not the only things with the ability to kill. In fact, only an average of 1500 people die from an accidental gun firing per year, and over 80 million Americans own guns today! Compare this to the average rate of 120,000 deaths caused by physicians per year, and the mere 700,000 physicians in the U.S. Guns are way less lethal than the people whom we entrust our lives to. Since this is true, why are little to no Americans afraid of dieing while visiting the doctors?

Just because the people can’t own handguns doesn’t mean that violence will just go away. Guns simply are not the problem we have here. In fact, more deaths are caused by basic hospital accidents then gun mishaps. It is our right as American citizens to own guns and be secure in our homes and possessions. We must have our own defense against whatever threat may come. Our right to keep and dear arms should not be infringed.