We Needed Healthcare Reform Yesterday | Teen Ink

We Needed Healthcare Reform Yesterday

October 12, 2009
By MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York
MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Anger is a constant equation, Reason is the variable."


Allow yourself to imagine a day where it’s cold and snowy outside; it’s about 5 degrees below zero. There is ice on the ground and you’re making every effort not to lose your footing. In addition, you’re determined to make it to the bank on time so your house is not foreclosed on the next morning. As a result, your stress provokes you to rush making you slip and collapse on to the floor giving you a serious head concussion. On your way, to the hospital you pray to god it’s just a minor bruise. Unfortunately, you never make it to see a doctor because you told the lady at the front desk you don’t have health insurance. You waited in that dirty waiting room with the depressing pale colors. Sitting next to that person who has the H1N1 virus or some other illness you can’t even pronounce properly. Another person next to you on your left is bleeding or already dead from what your observations of his appearance tell you. However, you become unconcerned because lights begin to dim slowly for you. You interpret this effect assuming you’re just tired and decide to sleep it off. You go into a deep sleep not acknowledging the fact that you weren’t going to wake up. An autopsy is performed later revealing that you could have lived if you had been admitted and diagnosed immediately. Isn’t that sufficient for the Healthcare reform process to commence?

The idea of having healthcare coverage that is available and affordable is one less stress for an American citizen. In America, people deal with enough knowing they have an illness. Some adults become obsessed, wondering whether their illness will spread to their love ones. While they are struggling to figure out how they will pay for the mortgage on their house in addition to the surgical procedure. The overwhelming feeling of having to decide between one’s life and the condition of their family’s lifestyle is a devastating reality for some in this country.

With the taxes Americans pay don’t we deserve Healthcare reform? Many Americans wonder exactly where their tax dollars go. Healthcare reform should be a priority that’s put before foreign policy. The government’s responsibility is for the welfare of its middle class people and those that live in poverty. Did our government loss sight of that when we were attacked September 11, 2001? Or did we decide to put on hold? From the rest of the world, we are viewed as the hypocrite policeman that should be worrying about our self instead others.
It seems for almost a decade that middle class Americans have been sacrificed so the rich can stay rich. The republicans have presented the argument that healthcare reform is not needed due to the fact that healthcare coverage is available. They fear such strong reform will bring about socialism by government. Healthcare companies enjoy the privilege to control their rates for coverage making people pay at their discretion. Billions are made by these companies annually. No one can tell them its not right stop this now. Should America be a country that supports the view of those that are greedy?


Several questions have been asked on the need for healthcare reform. An in the hearts of many the answer is simple. The answer is discovered when one listens to the stories of so many Americans across the country. Regardless of whether you are for it or not, the middle class is the backbone of the country. It’s the government’s duty to serve them in addition to others in need. It’s what’s necessary for the people to have faith in their country. As a result, sometimes that faith needs to be replenished by rewarding the people that have kept it continuously without failure. Healthcare reform has been earned by the American people for decades. The middle class has worked hard for it and those who live among the poverty line needed it yesterday. Healthcare reform will be powerful proof of the principles of which this nation was based on.


The author's comments:
I want change now. I hate the fact people are saying we don't need and protesting against it. We should be protesting for it.