We Needed Healthcare Reform Yesterday | Teen Ink

We Needed Healthcare Reform Yesterday

By MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York
MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York

"Anger is a constant equation, Reason is the variable."

Allow yourself to imagine a day where it’s cold and snowy outside; it’s about 5 degrees below zero. There is ice on the ground and you’re making every effort not to lose your footing. In addition, you’re determined to make it to the bank on time so your house is not foreclosed on the next morning. As a result, your stress provokes you to rush making you slip and collapse on to the floor giving you a serious head concussion. On your way, to the hospital you pray to god it’s just a minor bruise. Unfortunately, you never make it to see a doctor because you told the lady at the front desk you don’t have health insurance. You waited in that dirty waiting room with the depressing pale colors. Sitting next to that person who has the H1N1 virus or some other illness you can’t even pronounce properly. Another person next to you on your left is bleeding or already dead from what your observations of his appearance tell you. However, you become unconcerned because lights begin to dim slowly for you. You interpret this effect assuming you’re just tired and decide to sleep it off. You go into a deep sleep not acknowledging the fact that you weren’t going to wake up. An autopsy is performed later revealing that you could have lived if you had been admitted and diagnosed immediately. Isn’t that sufficient for the Healthcare reform process to commence?

The idea of having healthcare coverage that is available and affordable is one less stress for an American citizen. In America, people deal with enough knowing they have an illness. Some adults become obsessed, wondering whether their illness will spread to their love ones. While they are struggling to figure out how they will pay for the mortgage on their house in addition to the surgical procedure. The overwhelming feeling of having to decide between one’s life and the condition of their family’s lifestyle is a devastating reality for some in this country.

With the taxes Americans pay don’t we deserve Healthcare reform? Many Americans wonder exactly where their tax dollars go. Healthcare reform should be a priority that’s put before foreign policy. The government’s responsibility is for the welfare of its middle class people and those that live in poverty. Did our government loss sight of that when we were attacked September 11, 2001? Or did we decide to put on hold? From the rest of the world, we are viewed as the hypocrite policeman that should be worrying about our self instead others.
It seems for almost a decade that middle class Americans have been sacrificed so the rich can stay rich. The republicans have presented the argument that healthcare reform is not needed due to the fact that healthcare coverage is available. They fear such strong reform will bring about socialism by government. Healthcare companies enjoy the privilege to control their rates for coverage making people pay at their discretion. Billions are made by these companies annually. No one can tell them its not right stop this now. Should America be a country that supports the view of those that are greedy?

Several questions have been asked on the need for healthcare reform. An in the hearts of many the answer is simple. The answer is discovered when one listens to the stories of so many Americans across the country. Regardless of whether you are for it or not, the middle class is the backbone of the country. It’s the government’s duty to serve them in addition to others in need. It’s what’s necessary for the people to have faith in their country. As a result, sometimes that faith needs to be replenished by rewarding the people that have kept it continuously without failure. Healthcare reform has been earned by the American people for decades. The middle class has worked hard for it and those who live among the poverty line needed it yesterday. Healthcare reform will be powerful proof of the principles of which this nation was based on.

I want change now. I hate the fact people are saying we don't need and protesting against it. We should be protesting for it.

on Aug. 18 2012 at 7:13 am
joecool101 PLATINUM, Brighton, Massachusetts

Think once and nothing will happen; think again and ideas will flow to your mind.

- Joshua Eibelman

I fully agree with you. Now that we have this healthcare reform, do you think what was done is enough?

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Great article!  I'm glad to see someone standing for the opposite side of this ridiculous debate.

As someone in Canada, a country with a 'free' healthcare system, I can sort of see where Americans are coming from.  Anyone who can afford insurance does not want a 'free' healthcare system because of long waiting times.  But anyone without enough money for insurance wants a 'free' healthcare system.  In short, here's my view on the two systems.

American System: Great if you have money.

Canadian System: Great if you don't have money.

Hooray Natural Rights! Destroying "We Need Healthcare Reform" logic whenever someone acknowledges them.

yea...but it depends on how bad you are injured...if you are are injured seriously they will admit you right away.

Wait...please tell me when this has happened.

katie717 GOLD said...
katie717 GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." -Thoreau

We don't have a problem paying for the war or for the mistakes due to lack of regulation in large corporations. Why are we unable to pay for American lives even when it would be a mere FRACTION of our deficit?

katie717 GOLD said...
katie717 GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

The first problem is misinformation. Nobody will be waiting for years. That's ridiculous.

The second problem is the American attitude. Just because you have money doesn't mean you deserve to be seen now and put someone else on a waiting list.

katie717 GOLD said...
katie717 GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

Hooray Ignorance! Destroying our world since the beginning of time.

on Aug. 19 2010 at 12:27 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
Horray Marxism! Destroying wealth and human dignity since 1917.

Master KFJ96 said...
That I can understand. It may not be the right time and it is being done to fast. That I agree with.

alwayswriting14 SILVER, Northport, New York

"Everything makes sense yet nothing makes sense."

If we get reform of healthcare this way it is the government not listening to what the American people want. It's not just Republicans it's regular Americans too. Also, do you want to be dying of a different type of thing: debt for our generation to pay off the 1 trillion dollars this thing would cost. Doing it this way isn't the right way.

on Nov. 13 2009 at 7:59 am

Look, what the president is trying to do is work towards the first step. Why can't anyone understand that. America may have great doctors,nurses, PAs, and other great people in the hospital but how can some people in the population be able to afford it. Its time to move towards something meaningful. If don't agree its probably because you have to good. In that case you are lucky.

senior2010 said...
Well, obviously the people who are going to lose money oppose it. That's only, what? Over half the American population? Yes, we might could use health care reform, but not in the manner that the President is trying to press on us. I don't want to be sitting in a waiting room, dying, but I'd much rather be waitng there than on some waiting list for who knows how many years...

Maybe the example is to extreme but that doesn't mean it hasn't happen. We need some kind of reform. The only people who are seem to oppose it are the people who are going to lose money.

Yeah but sometimes u could sit in the waiting room for hours. Who knows when they will call your name. Even if your willing to help the patient at the point when they are on the brink of dieing. it maybe still to late.

EstebanV said...
EstebanV, Burlington, Massachusetts
first of all people aren't spontaneously dying because we haven't reformed health care. all doctors take a Hippocratic oath which states that they will treat a patient under any circumstances, even if they don't receive coverage.

on Oct. 29 2009 at 11:22 am

This is shared with many I know that.