Save the Elephants | Teen Ink

Save the Elephants

June 3, 2019
By DietBleachPatty BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
DietBleachPatty BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is estimated that 100 elephants are killed per day. If we do some quick math that's 3,000 Elephants slaughtered in only one month, and if we multiply that by twelve that's a staggering 36,000 Elephants slaughtered in only a year. Let that sink in. You may ask “Why”  and by that, I answer that the reason for all this senseless killing is for their ivory. Ivory is a hard, creamy white substance that is typically sold on the black market. The ivory is located in the tusks of the elephants which requires for poachers to chop them off to obtain the ivory. This process is typically done while the elephant is still alive,  leaving the elephant in agonizing pain. Although there are laws making this act illegal, the demand for ivory is so high that it continues to happen illegally. Ivory is made into chopsticks, jewelry, ornaments, hair accessories, religious figures, and many other items. Although some people may argue, “There are medicinal purposes in the ivory so it isn’t completely useless” But what I have to say to that, is actual facts, “Studies have shown that ivory does not have any medicinal purposes”


My next point is how the demand for Ivory is raising criminal activity. If all the drastic decline in the Elephant’s Population isn’t enough to convince you that the Ivory Trade should be stopped, here is yet another reason. Esmond Martin, a U.S. investigator who spent years going undercover to expose the worldwide ivory trade from slaughter to marketplace, was found stabbed to death in his Nairobi home. As you can see the sale of Ivory has even lead to poachers killing people. So, in conclusion, these are just two of many reasons as to why I believe the ivory trade should be stopped for good. I hope I made you feel the same way.


The author's comments:

I feel really bad for the situation with the Elephants