Does a Younger Socialist Party Threaten U.S. Values? | Teen Ink

Does a Younger Socialist Party Threaten U.S. Values?

December 19, 2018
By DarianT BRONZE, Sacramento, California
DarianT BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The United States is finding a new movement coming to light. One that has a connotation of the former Red Scare of communism. During the cold war the United States had sworn to stop the spread of communism. But now should we stop the spread of socialism? Does it betray what it means to be American?


The answer is a blatant no, we do not need to stop the spread of socialism. Not only is this acceptable but it should be encouraged. More participation from the younger voting groups. In fact, people having a political party to affiliate with goes with United States values. The United States was built on the idea of “power to the people” and “equality,” so why should we limit the political parties available?


This ideology surfacing through the youth is no surprise considering their perspective. Growing up in a society and only seeing the flaws of capitalism. A rising cost of education, a struggle for health care, and the Great Recession in the late 2000s.

The current democratic party was in turmoil after the 2016 election. Many of the younger generations rallied with Bernie Sanders because of his policies on education. He wanted to make college more economical. One of his ideas was to make public colleges free for U.S. citizens. However, Hillary Clinton went on to take the democratic primary leaving Bernie Sanders supporters asking themselves “does this party support what I support?”


The Trump administration has been trying to repeal Obamacare and instate the new Trumpcare. The country struggles to find an answer to the question of universal health care. As the two traditional political parties struggle perhaps it is time to turn to other parties for answers.


Considering the younger age groups are historically the least active voter age are the are the 18 to 29 year olds according to the United States Census Bureau, providing a party to identify with could result in more participation. More participation should be a goal so that our government can truly have a more accurate representation of the population. All citizens should have power to create change. The populations that stand with the two major parties.


The United States has always been built on compromise. Going all the way back to the ratification of the Constitution with the Connecticut Compromise. This event is when founding fathers came together to write the Constitution, and there were two different ideas on the legislative branch. At the end of the day, it is all about compromise. This is a way the United States can balance freedom and security. Not only compromising about having socialist parties but even between the two dominant parties. Without compromise the government shuts down as it did in January 2018. Neither party could compromise on their policies losing sight of what the U.S. was built on.


Power to the people. The people have control over the government which serves the people, that is the point of democracy in the United States of America. Majority of socialist parties do not intend on taking away democracy. Most are democratic socialist parties whose platforms are to bring more equality to everyone. Some platforms are universal healthcare and education. Including not just citizens but residents too. So the real question is what does American “equality” truly mean?


Socialism is associated with the historic enemy of the United States of America, but the two ideologies are still quite different. While both include government control, communism would mean the government having complete control over everything. While socialism has government control, there is still private business. The government does not control everything and the peoples’ rights are not in danger like the communism during the cold war.


During the Great Depression the U.S. increased government programs. One of the programs still in use is social security. A prime example of government control without citizens’ rights being invaded.


The socialist parties are just like other parties in the fact that it is just a group of like minded individuals trying to make change in their government. That does not threaten United States values and should be encouraged like any other party.


The author's comments:

I wanted to feel connected to my topic so I could be more passionate in my work ethic. I favor socialism, and I have always felt like an outsider because of my political belief. When I was researching possible topics I came across various articles about younger generations favoring socialism. I no longer felt like an outsider, and I found my topic.