Reform in Zoological Parks | Teen Ink

Reform in Zoological Parks

December 17, 2018
By ChristianO BRONZE, Sacramento, California
ChristianO BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Cetaceans housed in zoological parks, most commonly seen in SeaWorld, has been a controversial topic throughout the years. Many have debated about the benefits and drawbacks of displaying these creatures to the public. One of the many drawbacks from displaying animals is the inaccuracy showcased about the animal. This results in misleading and false information being given to an audience. Hence, it is important to define why animals are held in captivity and what education should be presented to viewers.


This raises a large concern about animals being displayed in zoological parks. Largely due to the misconceptions surrounding human interaction with animals. Should such false information truly be allowed in zoological parks? While customers do attend these parks for their attractions, customers should be prioritized to walk away with educational information presented by the zoological parks.


The sole reason animals are rescued or held in captivity is to preserve the animal and discover groundbreaking information for further conservation. Would it not be wiser and more morally correct to share this critical information with the public? Zoological parks are meant for improved studies, not for the use of entertainment through exploitation.


SeaWorld over the course of the years, has been notably criticized by a film called Blackfish by Gabriela Cowperthwaite released in 2013. The film in particular, criticized the display of orcas. SeaWorld is famous for its killer whale show however the performances generated mass controversy towards SeaWorld and the conservation of animals. The film highlights the tragic deaths caused by poor regulation of orcas held in captivity. Along with the harsh environment the orcas lived in due to lack of conservation. Furthermore, the public backlashes SeaWorld for its poor representation of the orcas and failure to understand the true nature of orcas during its showings. While the film is based on a biased view, it is a credible source that covers benefits towards keeping animals in captivity with safety and educational measures.


Additionally, a Capstone written by a Southeastern University Student named Kayla Patama. Covers the pros and cons of conservation in zoological parks by conducting mass surveys and detailed research. The most notable topic covered in the capstone is the data collected detailing captivity in zoological parks. The research in particular, leans towards the bold statement of parks needing to act as safe havens for animals. Any marine life should be exhibited in parks and aquariums. Captive animals must be displayed in a realistic and educational way in order to inform the public correctly.


Surprisingly enough, conservation in zoological parks is highly needed and overlooked. This is a huge problem and concern for the animals themselves. Performance animals in particular, suffer the most from lack of conservation. While there may be supportive rebuttals, animals who are displayed represent a false state of the animal.


Conservation in zoological parks would allow for a more natural state of the animal to be observed in display. The solution mentioned to put briefly, would allow for real education to take place in zoological parks instead of non educational entertainment. Which in return, would benefit the public by educating people about the harsh conditions animals face and provide solutions to prevent such unfortunate events from reoccurring. Even more so, the preservation of animals would be put at a much higher priority allowing the animal to have little to no risk while in its enclosure.


As people who coexist with numerous animals. It is the public’s duty to advocate towards such conservation for animals similarly in the way pet owners are responsible for caring for their animals. Rather than treating captivated animals as business property, zoological parks should maintain healthy and proper care its fragile animals.


The author's comments:

Word Count:611

Works Consulted

Blackfish. Directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite, 2013.

Patama, Kayla. “Pros and Cons of Marine Zoological Parks According to Marine Conservations”. Nova Southeastern University, 6 December 2017.