Family Time | Teen Ink

Family Time MAG

Family time is one of the most important times in a child’s life. I am very aware that there are things that get in the way, but nonetheless, all families should make time for something this important.

My family and I spend a lot of time together, including every dinner. Even when my father is away on business, my mother, sister, and I sit down at the table to eat and discuss our day. We don’t watch television, we talk and have fun together. As a teenager, hanging out with my parents is not the most fun thing I do but I feel it is necessary. I learn from them every time we talk, whether it is about my dad’s job or my mother’s day.

I did a little research on the “family table” idea. Statistics show that only 50% of families sit down to dinner together each night. That’s a shame, because researchers claim that kids who have these regular family dinners have better grades, better behavior, and a larger vocabulary. They are also less likely to smoke, drink, do drugs, or have eating disorders. Time with their parents makes kids more stable and gives them a sense of belonging and safety. Plus, they learn better manners.

I have noticed on old TV shows like “Leave It to Beaver” and from my parents’ stories that not long ago sitting at the family dinner table was not just an option, but a requirement. Now with many single-parent families or homes where both parents work, making time together has become harder.

There have been many recent studies showing kids are “wilder” than they used to. I think it’s primarily parents’ fault. Only good things come from taking 15 minutes away from television and five minutes from video games to have this time with your family. By spending 20 minutes with one another, I believe this idea of “wild kids” would decrease tremendously.

I am aware that we all lead busy lives and are always running around to finish homework or going to a sports game, but we should all take 20 minutes each day to eat dinner together and be a little more like “Leave It to Beaver.”

nadjolina5 said...
on Oct. 15 2017 at 3:52 pm
nadjolina5, Sarajevo, Other

Never give up!

This is amazing!!!

Fairyxoxo said...
on Jul. 17 2016 at 12:06 pm
It is beautifully written it almost made tears in my eyes....

on Dec. 24 2015 at 11:52 pm
Umm it is wonderful! But it is not the kind I was looking for ×_×. Plz can u show one more?

on Dec. 20 2012 at 3:13 pm
happyfeet2 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

IT GO BOOM !!!!!!

i think this is the best because i have a family that i love and in the begining is says "family times is inportant" i love that saying keep this up

Amyyy said...
on Feb. 14 2009 at 3:15 am
I do agree with this- but my parents don't do that:( sometimes i wish they would spend more time with me, but at the same time they'd drive me crazy!!! sometimes i can't stand do be in the same room with them. They seem so careless about me and what goes on in my life.