Do we feel less compassion as we grow older? | Teen Ink

Do we feel less compassion as we grow older?

July 10, 2015
By yeyyey BRONZE, Yangon, Other
yeyyey BRONZE, Yangon, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“How can it be that there is such a great difference between people who are only about ten meters apart?” is a question I will remember every time I look out the windows of our school. Surprisingly, these words came out from the tiny mouth of an elementary student that was visiting the high school building. She had seen the poor village near our school through the windows. I still remember the tremble in her voice and the sad look in her teardrop-like eyes. How was it possible that this child could come up with these feelings while high school students, who pass these windows every day, did not care about the village at all? I believe that it is true that we start feeling less sorry for people and have less compassion as we grow older. This is because we become more self-centered and care more about our problems than those of others. Even though we, the ones inside the building, have numerous valuables that the villagers outside may not even dream about, we feel more passionate about buying the newest iPhone rather than about helping the villagers with their basic needs. We see the same view the child sees. The shacks. The children working. The polluted water. However, the thoughts and feelings differ. The child cares and cries while we ignore and forget. Even though we have more chances to help the villagers than the child, we take great importance in our next english test and biology assignment that we do not have the time to consider the need of others. Taking this in consideration, I believe that we can go back and be like the child if we just leave some space for being altruistic. Let’s look around. Let’s care. Let’s help. A smile from an individual we helped is more meaningful and valuable than the satisfaction we get from spending $299, which can be used to feed an individual for a year, to buy that iPhone 6 plus.