Too Much Homework, Too Little Time | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

By LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is:
Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

on Apr. 21 2015 at 7:05 pm
I am so fed up with how much language arts homework we have. My teacher makes us do a journal entry for this book (which is the worst book I've ever read) and a vocabulary chart. Oh, and a proverb chart, a figurative language chat, and a response for every chapter. I'm SOOO busy. To sum it all up, Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Natasha said...
on Apr. 19 2015 at 1:52 pm
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to handle junior year coming up, as its supposed to be one of the most critical and difficult years of your academic career. I'm in almost all advanced classes, and every night I get about 3-4 hours of homework. I'm not able to have a life outside of school. The sad part is my parents don't even care, or refuse to see how much it's taking a toll on me. They think that it's normal for students to get this much homework, and their excuse is, "Times are changing, so get used to it." How ironic considering my parents were never in any advanced classes throughout their whole education..

AnsonL169 said...
on Mar. 31 2015 at 5:02 am
I have a whole speech that I am using for the same purpose as you. My team is arguing that homework is a good thing. I can send you a copy if you like after my teacher gives me feedback after we present to our class.

zingenzombie said...
on Mar. 30 2015 at 10:43 pm
I completely agree, I am in middle school averaging about 3 and a half hours of homework. The problem is parents just think of their old homework, they think it has not changed. This is not true, if you show your parents a math question they are clueless. Things have been discovered and everything gets put In books, this has truly increased homework. Teachers may say students should only need 20 minutes for an assignment, that does not make sense if every student in the class spends an hour and a half on the assignment.

on Mar. 26 2015 at 12:36 pm
Great job!!!!!

SchoolGirl12 said...
on Mar. 23 2015 at 1:13 pm
I'm doing a debate for this and I wanted to have some other people's opinion on both negative and positive. Thanks guys.

on Mar. 17 2015 at 9:13 pm
I'm in middle school (8th) and do over 4 hours of homework. Yeah, so much stress is happening and this is the page where I landed because of that :)

zayna doudar said...
on Mar. 16 2015 at 9:32 pm
zayna doudar, Wisconsin, Idaho
TOTALLY AGREE AND GREAT ESSAY :)

cjs01 said...
on Mar. 16 2015 at 6:45 pm
middle school has its ups and downs, mostly downs.

on Mar. 12 2015 at 10:05 pm
ocean-blue PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams

Really good. Great research, and I totally agree! You have an amazing writing style, too! Keep it up!

on Mar. 10 2015 at 10:15 pm
Freshman in high school, all advanced and honors classes. (advanced is offered for math and spanish, it is harder than honors.) I have field hockey after school until 5 or 6, and figure skating from 7-9. I barely have time to eat, much less finish my 3 or more hours of homework! I can't do this anymore.

Steve said...
on Mar. 4 2015 at 2:54 pm
I fell asleep in class today. You want to know why? Cause im f*cking tired

Steve said...
on Mar. 4 2015 at 2:54 pm
Yup. Ur in for hell buddy. Oh well. Enjoy the rest of ur life in school. It sucks. Homewok, homework, homework. All busywork.

Coolerica02 said...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:38 pm
Wow.....middle school sounds horrible. I'm in 5th grade and homework is mostly easy and usually a paragraph and 5 math questions.

sis.to said...
on Feb. 13 2015 at 5:07 pm
Honestly, it is great that YOU personally are in the position of which doing your homework and still having time for other things. But just because YOU are able to do 2+ hours of homework per night doesn't mean everybody else is. Clearly many are struggling to keep and deal with the amount of homework they are receiving per night as this isn't just a handful of people saying this, but rather a whole generation. Surely that should alert people that the amount of homework given is TOO much. Your ability to keep a balanced social life is great for YOU but it does not reflect how the rest of our generation feel it simply highlights that fact that you one individual are able to do it. And you stating that"students just need to learn to manage time more wisely" does not magically make it easier for anyone as chances are most of us were already trying to do so but were and still are constantly being overwhelmed with homework as well as many other expectations. There needs to be a better system when it comes to homework instead of simply piling and telling students to "learn to manage time more wisely".

on Feb. 12 2015 at 7:25 pm
love_running BRONZE, Douglas, Massachusetts
This is so true! I am a freshman, in all honors classes, and on the varsity track team at my school. The amount of homework my teachers assign is pathetic. I almost always have multiple assignments in every class. I start my homework at 7 and don't finish until 11. We also have tons of tests and quizzes to study for and a surplus of projects to complete.

on Feb. 12 2015 at 2:31 am
this is such an inspirational piece of text. It is nice to know that i am not alone in the 'homework struggle' Thank you :)

Hagahno said...
on Feb. 9 2015 at 8:58 pm
As a 17 year old I agree I have too much homework. I have a job where i get 30 hrs a week. I have to balance this with 3 ap courses. I do feel "crunched for time"

on Feb. 9 2015 at 10:10 am
So true. So true.

on Feb. 6 2015 at 9:57 am
Eric Engel BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
The article “Too Much Homework, Too Little Time” expresses the viewpoint of LAXdoubleK on how students seem to get overloaded with all kinds of homework. I, however, feel I always have enough time to get my homework done and still get to bed at a decent time. I am a junior in high school and play basketball, baseball, and golf, and I participate in marching, concert, and pep band. My GPA is currently a 4.0 and I don’t ever fell crunched on time to get my homework done. When students complain about getting homework done, it usually means they do not start the homework at a decent time, don’t ever do the homework, or don’t use class time wisely to get any homework done. The article stated that 29% of students claim to have two or more hours of homework a night. If the student starts homework at seven, which would be after sports practice and supper at latest, then they would be finished by nine to ten at night, a reasonable time to go to bed. Students just need to learn to manage time more wisely.