Black Expressions | Teen Ink

Black Expressions

By iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
iBunty SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Fear. What is fear? Is it having too much knowledge, or is it the unknown, that scares us? Ignorance is bliss, is it really true? To some, a person or a group of people is a fear. That someone could be parents, older siblings, teachers, police, criminals. To others, an object or something is a fear; Clowns, creepy masks, arthropods, diseases, death. These fears either motivate us to better ourselves, or impede us from improvement. Although it may take some time to overcome some of these fears, it is possible. I, too, have many fears. One of which are spiders; I want to overcome it, because I want one as a pet. But there is also one that I doubt I will ever conquer. That is the fear of mannequins.

Initially, they seem quite normal, being all around clothing stores nowadays. But then, I took the liberty to stare at them for a very long time when I was younger. Ever since then, I have had many questions about them. But as I grew, my mere thoughts became nightmares. At first they were simple human-like figures that would have nice clothes on for you to look at. But I started to delve deeper into the mannequins itself.
What is their real purpose? Why do they look like the way they do? Why did the manufacturers make them expressionless? Their nonexistent emotions, the unknown intimidates me the most. There are shows such as Doctor Who, where statues would come to life and would try to kill you. But they had a horrendous facial expression on them, unlike the mannequins My mind sometimes would go deranged and imagine them coming to life and slaughter us mercilessly. The chilling, unyielding figures snapping the bones with no effort, remorse or empathy.
I recently bought a mannequin model for drawing purposes. Although it may be for grins, the poses or stances I make it do. Sometimes it would keep me up all night, while I just stare at it, afraid that if I close my eyes and open them again, it will move; move in to kill, because they seem to be set to kill. I doubt I will be able to overcome the fear for them, but I will surely try to. As long as the blank expressions manage to preserve my curiosity than my trepidation.

Mannequins are the antithesis of open mindedness.