Euthanasia | Teen Ink

Euthanasia

May 29, 2013
By BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois
BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois
10 articles 1 photo 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say, 'watch me.' -unknown


They know what’s happening. They know they’re dying. That’s why I think that people with terminal illnesses should be able to request doctor-assisted suicide. The correct term for this is euthanasia. People, who are in their right mind, should be able to deicide what they want, and need, to do. People can cut themselves, pierce themselves, and even kill themselves, but people can’t ask to end their lives if they’re terminal? They can’t ask to end the pain? They can’t ask to end themselves before they lose complete control of themselves?

Jack Kavorkian was a doctor who believed in euthanasia. He expanded his belief when he found out doctors in the Netherlands were helping people by lethal injection. He then created a machine he called the Thanatron. According to various websites he assisted in over 100 assisted suicides, including Janet Adkins, a 45-year old, Alzheimer’s patient. Dr. Kavorkian was later charged with her murder by the state of Michigan. However, the case was dismissed due to Michigan’s ‘indecisive opinion’ on assisted suicide. Kavorkian was charged with murder many times after that. In present day, assisted suicide is still frowned upon by some. However, many people, including physician’s, agree with Dr. Kavorkian’s opinion. At this moment, euthanasia is still illegal.

Some of the horrendous diseases that terminal patients suffer from are Parkinson’s and ALS. Parkinson’s does not have a cure. Parkinson’s is caused by the progressive impairment of neurons, which produce dopamine when working properly. A lack of dopamine results in abnormal nerve functioning. Parkinson’s is classified into 5 stages. In the final stage, the person will need one-on-one medical assistance. ALS is progressive neurodegenerative disease that alters nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The motor neurons basically control muscle movement, so when they die a person can’t control the movement of their muscles. Eventually, the deterioration of the muscle neurons leads to death. Sometimes, in later stages, the patient can become completely paralyzed. Some symptoms of ALS are twitching, muscle weakness, and difficulty projecting the voice. Those two diseases are only a few of many, many more exactly like that and some even worse.

All and all, dying with dignity is one of the most important reasons for euthanasia to become legal. When a person is first diagnosed with a disease, they are still in control of their actions and thoughts. They can still decide. This means they can still make their own decisions. They can decide whether they want to live or not. They can deicide how they want their family members to remember them. They can decide whether they want their family to remember them baking cookies and taking the dog out for a walk or if they want them to remember in pain and misery.

Euthanasia is a highly debated topic. Jack Kevorkian believed in it and many physicians around the world believe in it. I think it should be legal. I think people should have the right to choose. So I leave you with this: What do you think?