Pro & Con: Capital Punishment | Teen Ink

Pro & Con: Capital Punishment MAG

By Anonymous

   I would like to say a few words to everyone out there about a subject that has troubled me for a long time. That subject is capital punishment, or rather, the lack of its use.

In our society, it is all too possible for someone to go on a killing spree, slaughter ten innocent people, and get a fifteen-year sentence, with time off for good behavior, and parole in seven years. That is wrong. If you kill someone and are convicted in a trial by a jury of your peers, you should die.

Or consider this. If you are convicted of a crime, and sentenced to death, you'll spend ridiculous amounts of time on Death Row, awaiting your turn to ride the lightning. It is also possible to make appeal after appeal, prolonging your life while the corpse of your victim rots. Perhaps the most famous example is Ted Bundy who spent years on Death Row narrowly escaping his execution by offering to reveal more details of his crimes.

Capital punishment should be used more frequently. Opponents say it constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. However, the Supreme Court has decided otherwise. And the only cruel and unusual part of capital punishment is the wait between sentencing and execution.

One final point. Let's remember that if the penalty for a crime is certain death, who is going to commit that crime? ?