Big Brother | Teen Ink

Big Brother

By 4heberlein SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4heberlein SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Being an older brother comes with great responsibility and the opportunity to influence your younger siblings positively. It requires a combination of leadership, support, and understanding. To be a good older brother, you must prioritize communication, create a sense of emotional connection, and serve as a role model like a celebrity is to a child.

First and foremost, communication is key. David Dobbertin, an older brother of 15 years, claims: “It is essential to establish open lines of communication with your younger siblings.” Additionally, actively listening to their concerns, and offering advice when needed is also important. You can build trust and strengthen your relationship by creating a safe space for them to share their thoughts.

Additionally, a sense of emotional connection is crucial. Show empathy and offer support when they are facing difficulties. Encourage them to pursue their passions and remind them that you believe in their potential. Being emotionally present and placating them in hard times will help them through the challenges of their teenage years with confidence. 

Furthermore, serving as a positive role model is essential. Younger siblings often look up to their older brothers and sisters. “Demonstrating responsible behavior, such as prioritizing academics and making good choices is important for older siblings,” says David Dobbertin, “Your actions will not only shape their perception of you but also influence their own decisions and actions.”

It is important to be a source of guidance and encouragement. Offer assistance with schoolwork, help them set goals, and motivate them to achieve their full potential. Encourage them to participate in extracurriculars that they like, as it can help them grow as a person and build their self-esteem.

In conclusion, being an older brother means actively engaging in your siblings' lives and providing support in various aspects. Through effective communication, emotional connection, and acting as a positive role model, David Dobbertin has had a profound impact on the overall well-being and development of his younger siblings.