Why is art made by AI seen as unethical to artists? | Teen Ink

Why is art made by AI seen as unethical to artists?

January 14, 2023
By maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
27 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"don't let it define you"


There’s no such thing as humans being born with natural talent. I’m human, I have flaws myself. I had to learn how to use a pencil before realizing that I liked to write and draw. Creativity comes from ideas, motivation, creating art; as a person, and an artist, I learned that I don’t have to be perfect. Unlike humans, AI (Artificial Intelligence) is the “perfect tool” that is supposed to make our lives easier. AI art programs like NightCafe, Starry AI, Jasper Art, are used to generate a single piece in a matter of minutes, to seconds. When it comes to art, there are differing opinions of AI being used by artists and non artists. AI art has no integrity, while it disregards most of the efforts made by artists. AI art does not require effort.


Everything is subjective, so is art however- an AI is programmed to follow instructions. In the Op-Ed from Artnet News, “I Make Art With A.I. Here’s Why All Artists Need to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Technology” by Agnieszka Pilat, she says, “...artists should evolve and incorporate the tool in their work like any paintbrush or canvas.” Pilat includes a quote from Kotaku, that the use of AI has “created an ethical and copyright black hole”. AI can be used in some forms, like searching up a question or definition on the internet, it’s a tool. AI technology is basically programmed to copy off multiple artworks, and mix parts of artists' work, to create the so-called “art made by AI.” AI has no mindset of knowing what’s right or wrong, it obeys without getting any personal feelings in the way.


AI is able to be more efficient than humans, by not spending time on too much thinking. When non-artists are able to make AI art, they can call themselves an “artist” in less than a second. Because AI looks through multiple pieces of artworks on the internet to copy from, it takes little time to create AI art. As a human, who loves writing and drawing, I understand how much effort it takes for artists to make art, even in one piece. It’s frustrating to not be happy with something you created, as I had recently made a lot of things: a book, a political cartoon, and a couple of artworks I had painted. I am not prideful or confident of what I made, as I could have improved on it a little bit more, instead of feeling the stress to rush through it and my inspirations to create were very emotion based. However, I know how I had learned a lot to create those things. For example, with my artworks- I had to keep my patience, I had to not waste time and focus on work, and if something I created was taken by someone else or given credit by AI, I would be disappointed that all my efforts were just used to be given away.


Humans aren’t always efficient and don’t always have 100% accuracy, but we are able to make use of our own tools, like our brain. We use our brains to think of what we need to do next, and having the ability to think before you act is an effort and a skill that not everyone has. AI cannot think, it acts according to what it’s programmed to. AI doesn’t have its own tools, unless “copying and pasting” other art. Whether you’re a traditional or digital artist, you both have to use money to buy your own art materials, or technology. I’ve bought tools, like markers, watercolors, acrylic paints, and I’ve also bought an iPad and apple pencil for digital art. The materials bought from my money doesn’t define my art work, but it’s dangerous if people were to sell AI art. NFTs already exist, and people buy them for hundreds to millions of dollars.


We can use AI to our advantage, but for artists, they are discredited for their hard work. As humans, it’s unethical to let AI take credit from artists. How far will AI have to go, for someone with the authority to stop AI from stealing our efforts? Humanity may think that we have an advantage, but we won’t have any work to use if a GPS can already tell us where to go, or if  something is already on the internet. AI technology requires little effort to use, and everyone will soon rely on AI to do something for them, if they don’t learn it themselves.