Drugs | Teen Ink

Drugs MAG

By Anonymous

   Many people think that in the 1980's drugs have become one of the most threatening problems facing the United States. Drugs have shown their ugly faces in the back alleys of Boston, New York, and Los Angeles. Drugs have contributed to the gang wars now prominent in many cities. Drugs have ended the careers of many of today's top athletes, some before they even started. Drugs have played a part in many teenage suicides. Drugs have been accomplices in many crimes. And drugs have cost people like Sherman Griffiths their lives.

Drugs have many parents all over the world. For example, drugs might call Colombia "Dad" and Vietnam "Mom." Drugs can be born as close as your own back yard, or as far away as the other side of the world. Drugs are not bigoted or prejudiced in any way, for they offer their friendship to anyone willing to take it. Drugs are not snobbish, for they will destroy both the rich and the poor. Drugs don't show any compassion, for they will take any life, even that of an unborn child.

Drugs can be seen in the eyes of the addicts. Drugs can be heard in the threats of the drug lords. Drugs can be smelled on the breath of the drunks. Drugs can be tasted in the bitter loss of loved ones. And drugs can be felt by the thousands of people who die from them each year.

Worst of all, however, is the news we've just received: drugs have fathered a new child, AIDS.n