Happiness in the Mountains | Teen Ink

Happiness in the Mountains

May 9, 2019
By ameliaott BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
ameliaott BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Summer camp is my happy place and fills me with great joy. I journey up the mountains with a destination of joy. I step onto the gravel road and hear the voices of the counselors ready to meet me. At camp, time stops and I am content. The second I see one of my favorite people fifty yards away, I run as fast as I can just to feel their hug because I haven't in twelve months. I get a feeling of safety I get when I walk into the cabin I must call my home for the next two weeks. I am abundant in happiness when I taste chocolate milk from the dining hall. I am at my happiest when I am wearing an oversized shirt and crocs or when I am at the campfire singing songs surrounded by the greatest friends. I am most content at summer camp where I have a place and where I can be the tennis star. Camp is where the smell of chicken tenders and apple crisp reaches the tip of my nose and I smile from ear to ear. The moment I hear the laugh of my best friends for the first time in a 365 days or when I hear the melody of a shawnee chant, I instantly overflow with great joy. At camp, the goal of an outfit is to wear the most red or where the only worry is wondering if the cabin is clean enough to receive five stars. At camp I get a rush when the three tribes must compete or the thrill that goes through my bones when I hear the words, Buffalo Rattle. The second I step out of the car and onto the grounds of riverview is the moment my entire world stops and I am the happiest I can be.