We Are Women, Not Objects | Teen Ink

We Are Women, Not Objects

By Lilylove143 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Lilylove143 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

As we all know, women have been degraded and seen as less than since basically forever. The worth of a woman is inglorious compared to a Man. You would think that women would have been honored and showed a lot more respect. Especially since females have to experience carrying another human for nine months then have to deal with the excruciating labor pains. Not to mention the raging hormones women face out of nowhere.

Let's be honest, would the world even last without women? I'm not saying that men are useless but, men have it way easier than a woman.  I'm sure back in the day, a man would have said that life is harder for them due to the thought of always having to play the role of alpha in a household. The main provider and feeling less of a man when they can't do so. I'm sure that must be a lot to deal with as a man but still, that doesn't compare to all the hardships women have to deal with. Such as bearing children, raising children, cooking three meals a day, helping with school work, helping the kids with hygiene, and putting them to sleep. It's a repeated everlasting cycle.

In the 21st-century things have changed for men but not so much for women. In some cases, men stay home with their kids while the Women work, or the women have to play the role of both the mother and father. Once again I'm not bashing men because everyone is not the same. Some men actually step up to play the role of a man and not a boy. Just like some women act mature instead of childish or petty.

Although some women may just ignore or push off the comments of some men say such as “That's pretty good for a woman's work”, “How are you still single”, “oh! you really are smart” or something so little such as “smile, you're too pretty to be upset”. As simple as these comments are, they are still very offensive to women. Women are constantly expected to not know how to put things together, play “guy” games, or drive as good as them. But also they expect every girl to know how to cook, bake, extensively clean, sew, or to automatically be fully mature.

Another thing women face too much is the pressure of trying to keep up or reach society's standards to be attractive. When all you see on tv is females with coke bottle bodies, flawless hair and make-up with the best clothes gets intimidating to keep up with for some females. Every person shouldn’t look the same because if we were the world would kinda stink. Every male and female should have their own style and their own personality because it shows how unique you are. So guys don't criticize or compare a female to another female. Some women may be curvier than others while others might not have any curves. We are all still beautiful.

There shouldn't be a reason to belittle a woman in any way. No matter how young, old, or different they are to the next person. Just imagine if time was somehow reversed to see how your mother grew up. How would you feel if you saw a man disrespecting her by calling her out of her name or practically laughing at any work she did while expecting her to fail no matter how hard she is working. How would you feel if you see another guy sexually harassing your mother or just talking solely about her body instead of her personality? I'm sure you wouldn’t like it so don't do it to other women.

This piece is about how women are constantly belittled and disrespected by a man