Why Is Bethesda Running The Elder Scrolls Into the Ground? | Teen Ink

Why Is Bethesda Running The Elder Scrolls Into the Ground?

By CouLo76 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
CouLo76 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

An argument without fact is a war without soldiers.

If you have ever played a video game, you have to had heard of Skyrim. Made by Bethesda Softworks, and the Bethesda Corporation in general. I won’t go into to much detail about it here, but this is basically a medieval fantasy game where you are a dragonborn, a rare type of being that can obtain magical powers. Being an open world game with dragons and sword fighting and thousands of choices, the series has always been a big hit. The latest installment sold 22.7 MILLION copies. This has no doubt grown since the modding community of the game is HUGE. But that was in 2011, the 5th game of the Elder Scrolls franchise. But June 6th, at the E3 conference, they announced Elder Scrolls 6, set to be released in early 2020.

Now this painstaking wait is going to be hopefully worth it, but here's the thing I don't understand. With a new Fallout game coming out, a franchise I did a review on, I had to look at the numbers. Fallout 3 came out, Then Elder Scrolls 5, then Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4. All together, the Fallout games combined have sold around 36 million copies. That's only around 13 million copies more. Fallout 4 alone, which sold 12 million copies, costed 100-120 million to make. Skyrim cost only 90 million in comparison! By waiting so long before releasing another Elder Scrolls they have lost fans who played for Elder Scrolls alone, and no matter what they put out, it will never live up to the over 10 year hype. It doesn’t help that they have not even started real development.

There is the same problem with many corporations. The reason Half Life 1 and 2 were beloved were because of their story driven narrative and industry revolutionizing gameplay! But they waited so long between 2 and 3 that no matter how good the hype is, it will never be as good as expected. Or maybe it will be, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a great game, one that has already sold 19 million copies in a very short time. That game had a huge gap, but I honestly think Bethesda has killed one of their best game franchises.

But that’s just my opinion, what it’s worth is up to you.

It's my opinion, do what you want with it. Remember to be brutally honest.