The Saint | Teen Ink

The Saint

October 11, 2022
By bcbilbo, Ada, Oklahoma
More by this author
bcbilbo, Ada, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I am a freshman at the Ada Junior High School. I enjoy art and mock trial and my favorite color is blue.

Many people I’ve talked to over the years have heard at one point or the other about the urban legend of the saint of dance. Of course if they aren’t aware of the tale before, they may think it's a positive, fun loving story about dancing since ‘saint’ usually is a positive word. Little did they know the true story. I was one of those people. Like many of my friends, we didn’t really believe in the story but we were dumb teens so of course we had to try and summon the “saint”. Summoning that horrid creature was definitely by far the worst mistake of my life. If you haven’t heard, typical, but the thing I’m talking about is the Saint of Alyssa, the girl who danced herself to death.

 “See I told you it was a real place.” “Are you sure it's the right one though? I mean let's be real Matthew, this is the fifth abandoned dance studio we’ve been to today and you’ve said that every single time.” Kylee said. She knew though that something about this studio is different, different from the other. Almost feeling creepier, like a chill feeling crawling up her spine. “Let’s just get on with it. If this isn’t the right one I wanna get this over with, it's getting dark out anyways.” “Are you sure we have time for this? My curfew is in 30 minutes and I’m still grounded from the last time I came home late.” Nina said with an unsettling tone. “Yes its the right place, god why are all of y’all such prudes, c'mon!” I wish I could’ve gone back to that day and smack some sense into me. The sun was setting and all our curfews were coming up, but nope, so we all began to walk into the old dance studio. Some of us worried, others excited, but either way it was all a huge mistake.

Surprisingly the electricity still works so we all gathered in the center dance room and sat around the Ouija board. “Wait, why are we trying to summon this thing again? If the stories are true then it's not really on my bucket list to dance against my will.” Kylee said. “Oh please, quit being such a baby. And plus, I doubt that the whole story is 100% real. I just wanna say hi.” I said with an overly confident tone. “Ugh. Fine.” Kylee said. The 3 of us put our hands on the planchette and began asking questions. “Who are you?” “Can you see us?” “How long have you been here?” “How old are you?” “Matthew! You never ask a lady her age!” Nina said. 

As more questions were answered the lights began to flicker, strangely enough. At the moment it was fun but I didn’t realize how south it would turn. “You mortals are all the same” “What was that?!” Nina jumped. “Every single time all you want is the same information” “Are you sure we should stay Matthew?” Kylee said, getting worried. “Day after day, year after year, century after century” “All right let's book it.” I said. We all ran to the door but it was locked! The last light shot out. The room becoming dark as pitch. We all hear a lot of shifting and scraping, like tile against tile, wall against wall, like the rooms are shifting around, ever-changing, trapping us.

I reached out for Kylee and Nina but they weren’t there. I sit down and just try to collect myself. In the dark trying to just stay calm, with no one around me, and the walls literally shifting as I was breathing. Just as the noise around me started getting louder and louder, closer and closer, everything stopped, and my watch was beeping 12:00, midnight, officially Halloween.

The lights turn back on and there's again no one around. “Nina! Kylee?!” I yell, no response. I get up off of the cold tile and start to look around the dance studio. I don’t know what walls were shifted around but this was clearly not a normal studio layout. Long hallways, some with one door, others with many. I keep yelling out for Kylee and Nina, for a while I get no response. After what seemed like hours I opened a sliding door and there was Kylee in the very first center dance room. But no Nina. “Where were you! You just disappeared!” she screamed at me. “I disappeared?! It turned black and you two were gone!” “Yeah about that..” and Kylee slowly explained to me what happened to Nina. I was distraught, but there wasn’t time for that, we had to get out of that building. 

We began to search for a way out, opening every door, checking every window, which were all boarded up. From whatever happened when the lights were cut, many walls shifted and changed. The old dance studio on the outside was just a 3 room tiny building, but since we’ve entered, it's been seeming like a mansion. Rooms upon rooms upon rooms, like a maze. “What the hell are we supposed to do, it's like there's no exit?!” Kylee screamed. We both didn’t really know what was going on with the building, we just wanted to get out and put this night behind us. As we’re walking around we quickly learned that whatever this “saint” did isn’t a fun thing to know. There were multiple windows that we couldn’t open, and exit signs that lead to dead ends. *SCREECH* The lights shut off once again.

Me and Kylee held onto each other, as clearly neither of us wanted to be separated like time. Again there's lots of movement around us, but more like something from a person, or at least something that once was a person. The lights slowly began to flicker back on, but this time it was more than just us in the hallway. The “saint” of Alyssa was staring back at us once our eyes adjusted, with Nina? “Nina oh my god what happened I thought you died?!” Kylee said. No response. “Um Nina? You alright…?” I slowly asked. No response. It’s like she was a mannequin, perfectly still, but alive, at least I thought. The lights began to flicker again but this time Kylee and I weren’t sticking around for another surprise guest. We quickly turned and bolted down the hallway searching for anything to either get out through or hide behind. Left, right, right, right, left, many turns that were seemingly endless, but then I saw it. It was a window, no boards, no wood covering it, and daylight. I kept on running with what I thought was Kylee right behind me. I did a quick check behind me, then a double take. “MATTHEW HELP ME!” Kylee was screaming bloody murder. Turning around I see Kylee, on the ground, getting dragged by her ankles, down the goddamn hallway. The evil saint was yelling, screeching, almost breaking my eardrums. So loud I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t even move. It was so painful. Yet I could still see my best friend getting dragged to what I was sure was her death. Though now, I assume all she could dream of is the sweet release. To be free from the Saint of Alyssa. It’s almost like the Saint wanted me to watch, wanted me to survive, to torture me. After I watched Kylee get dragged into the shadows, screaming for life, for help, for anything. The screaming stopped after a bit. Yes, it was terrible but for all I knew in that moment was that I was alone, and was not gonna go the same route as my friends. I turned back for the window, running, sprinting, dashing, and all the other words, running for my life for hopefully anything safer than this dance studio. I dove through the empty window space and landed hard on the quaint little parking lot of the 3 room dance studio. The sun was rising, people were going on morning jogs, like it was a normal day. I turn around, trying to catch my breath, but then I see something. In the far left side window I see the Saint. Backing away at first but then I froze. The Saint practically evaporated into thin air but there was something still there. Nina and Kylee, dancing. I think about it now and I guess Kylee was right, if the story about the Saint of Alyssa really was true, we really shouldn’t have tested the theory.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.