Plymouth | Teen Ink

Plymouth

By Laflamme-harrison BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire
Laflamme-harrison BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire

November 1982

When I was sixteen I was thrown from the back seat of the family Plymouth after my coat caught the door handle. The sheer force and momentum of that two-ton hunk a junk station wagon skipped me like a stone across the pavement. There was no snow yet that year so I was rolled directly into the dirt ditch lining the road and knocked out cold. It took a whole thirty seconds for the twins to yell from the rear seats over Duran Duran to our brother Sean who was behind the wheel. When he finally turned the thing around, they found me bloodied and bruised accompanied by a broken nose. I might have been luckier in the front bench, but Sean had reserved the entire thing for himself and the girl he was going to pick up on our way to Gilford Junior High.

When I woke, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how I had landed in a hospital bed. That atrocious deer wallpaper is still burned into my memory, each of them stared blankly with their beady black eyes from a snow-white forest. The sun was coming through the window casting a warm square of light over the end of my bed. It reflected off the pale sheets and basked the room in a golden glow. They had put a tag with my name, James Baker, across the door.

I didn’t notice anything wrong at first, of course, I was still shaken from the whole experience. My mother had dropped off the twins at the elementary school for their fifth-grade classes and Sean to the high school for his senior year. She quickly filled me in, explaining how Sean had lost his privilege to drive the station wagon and the Pinto for the next week. It was a short punishment, otherwise, she would have to drive us to school every morning, something she didn’t miss after Sean had gotten his license. 

The doctors told her that I was all right other than a “minor” head injury. My nose was forever crooked after that. They let me go fairly quickly with a bottle of painkillers in one hand and some spare bandage supply in the other.

I returned to school a couple of days after the accident. My mom didn’t want me to fall behind in any of my classes. The broken nose became a quick target from the upperclassmen. Out of all the insults my favorite might have been when Sally Thompson said in a snarky tone “bag your face, Baker,” while I was going down the hall. 

Later that day Sean and I picked up the twins from elementary school. Andrew and Sarah explained to us how their teacher had given them massive amounts of homework. They claimed it was child abuse.

The sun set around four-thirty that night, winter was crushing the life out of daylight. We had our family dinner in the dining room, Dad got home late and yelled at Andrew for launching peas at Sean with a spoon. Then I found myself on dishwasher duty while everyone went their separate ways, whether that be homework or watching a game through the rabbit ears.

The steam from the sink rose through the kitchen, blurring the flower print wallpaper and the green appliances that hadn’t been replaced in the past twelve years. It fogged the window that rested above it, but a quick hand wipe broke through the condensation. I always loved staring through the glass whenever it was my turn to wash. The view stretched out into the back lawn where the dried dead grass met the forest wall. The sun was gone leaving only my reflection while the night hung between the thick deep pine trees outside. My silhouette from the kitchen window reached across the yard to where thickets of pricker bushes lay untamed. When I reached for the sponge floating in the soapy water, something moved outside the window. I stopped to look, letting a dish sink to the murky bottom. 

A man was standing on our lawn wearing a faded brown business coat. I squinted to make sure he was real but it only made me more unsettled. His eyes were buried by the darkness that hid in the caves of his skull. His boney white-knuckled fist gripped the handle of a worn briefcase and his maroon tie was stained with what looked like old mustard. Mud clung to his once glossy shoes and coated his pants. I swore I could hear him saying something through the glass but his mouth never moved.

The kitchen phone rang to life, I jumped, dropping the sponge on the floor. In only that quick blur of movement, the man had left my sight.

...

“What are you looking at?” Andrew asked. 

“Nothing,” I mumbled while turning back to the inside of the Pinto. Sean had managed to cram the three of us in the back of the tiny cabin before we drove to school. 

Since the previous night, that man had appeared on six or seven other occasions. Once at the end of our road, then again when we drove past the police station, then again at the corner store gas station just after the bridge. It was worrying me, no one else in the car seemed to notice him. It wasn’t long before he was standing outside the Junior high. He turned to watch me walk inside. 

I didn’t understand. I saw him everywhere. In the library, the English hall, the school darkroom, the parking lot, the leach field outside the auditorium. He was everywhere. The more I thought about him the more he appeared. Was I going crazy? Was I going insane?
“Bag your face, Baker,” Sally hissed. I did care, he was standing right there. Peering over one of the moveable walls. His muddy shoes poked out from the bottom. I slipped by him, went inside, sat at my desk. He was standing in the corner. Even under the fluorescent, his eyes were still tucked away. People walked right by and didn’t even glance. He watched me and only me. He waited. But not a word, not even a single expression came from that man. He only watched.

“Take out your notebooks and turn to a clean page.” I did as my teacher instructed but I kept my eyes on the other side of the room. He was standing before one of the desks.

“I want you to write a paragraph on why you think J.D. Salinger created the scene between Holden and Sunny.” Everyone was already on their papers dissecting the book. I was frozen while his unseen eyes bore into my mind. His mouth did not move but hisses and whispers slipped from his presence. When I finally moved my pen, it had nothing to do with Catcher in the Rye. 

Instead, I wrote a story about a man. It was the only thing I could focus on at the time. It was about a man who worked cubical shifts. A man whose breath wreaked of coffee. A man whose tie was stained with mustard. A man who woke at the ass crack of dawn to shave his five o’clock shadow. A man who drove a shitty Oldsmobile. A man whose desk was piled with spreadsheets. A man whose car broke down on 93 North at midnight. A man who trekked through the muddy forest with his briefcase in search of someone who could help. A man who quickly got lost in the woods. A man who never returned home.

The more ink on the page the less real he became. I hadn’t looked up from my notebook but when the teacher called the end of class, he had vanished. I didn’t see him anywhere around the school after that, or anywhere else really. I believed I was safe. But that was quickly proven wrong.

It didn’t take long for another one of those bastards to appear. We had a late dinner that night and it was close to midnight by the time I had actually finished my homework. I went down the stairwell to grab some water before turning in for the night. Somehow, Andrew had shut all the lights off but he left the T.V.  on. The color bars tinted the room with strange hues. The screen flashed one last time as I shut it off and went to the kitchen. 

I dug through the shelves for a cup and filled it from the sink. My brain still hurt from crunching math equations for the last hour so I leaned against the counter trying to ease the pain with some cold water. 

Even from there the whine of the RCA reached my ears as it came back to life. The living room was filled with dull light that spilled across the floor into the kitchen. I was completely frozen, the glass shook in my hand. It must have just been Andrew or Sarah messing with me but something in the back of my head told me this was wrong. 

Creeping across the kitchen I leaned into the living room. There was a figure standing before the T.V. Its shape was outlined by the screen. Too tall to be Andrew, it was even too tall to be Sean. I searched to find where the silhouette ended but its head had been swallowed by the shadows clinging to the ceiling. 

Two narrow white eyes open from the dark and glared down at me. I dropped my cup, it shattered on the floor, water everywhere. I ran slipping on the vinyl floor in the hallway knocking pictures from the wall. It chased after me, crashing the stairs. I probably woke the entire house slamming my door and throwing a chair under the knob. 

After a couple of minutes, I peered through the keyhole. It was standing at the end of the hall waiting. Stumbling to the back of my room I knocked several things off my desk while digging for some paper. This had happened once before, maybe it would work again.

This time I wrote about a shadow. A shadow that crept through the dark. A shadow that chased after kids past midnight. A shadow that glared at the milky way with hatred. But in the end, I wrote about a shadow that was too afraid of the light.

To my relief, it worked. And after a night of no sleep, the chair was removed from my door. The shadow was nowhere to be seen. 

He wasn’t the last one though. More appeared soon after. My notebooks were filled pretty quickly. I wrote about a butcher with a bloodied ax. I wrote about a fifteen-foot creature with a bleached skull and huge antlers. I wrote about a light that glowed from behind the trees on hiking trails. All of these stories were tucked away, never to see the light of day. I didn’t write for any sort of enjoyment, I was fighting to keep my sanity.

August 1983

For the next ten months, I only continued to use up all the paper in the house. In hopes of speeding things up, I stopped by an office supplies store in Laconia, the next town over, by the sandwich shop on Main Street. I had my eyes set on one of the Macintosh computers. I had seen those ads on tv, I dreamed about how easy it would be to store everything I wrote on a single floppy disk. But my summer job wages couldn’t stretch that far. In the end, I settled for a used Brother typewriter with a jammed Q key and faded beige paint. It didn’t take me long to realize how god damn loud that thing was. The keys slamming against the paper sounded like a dogfight from one of those old war movies on T.V.

But with Sean off to college, my parents graciously handed me the keys to the Pinto. I hated that car, even before they started the recalls but my parents kept it because nothing had gone wrong, yet. Despite this, it proved to be a safe haven for keeping things quiet. I hid my stories about crazed gunmen, a janitor gone insane, a half-man creature all locked in the glove box while the typewriter slept in the trunk. It was getting easier and easier to wipe those nightmares out of existence. Most of them were smited as soon as my fingers reached those keys. 

...

On one particular summer day, the sun was being magnified by the Pinto’s windshield as I drove past the water tower. I pulled that dusty rust bucket into the Globe Plaza outside the Circle K store next to the movie theater. The pavement was so hot you could feel it through the souls of your shoes. It was Sarah and Andrew’s birthday but halfway through making the cake mom realized that we had completely run out of eggs. So she sent me out to get some as quickly as possible. I didn’t want to buy them from where I worked but it was the closest store. 

It was cooler inside, the AC was blasting throughout the building. I knew exactly where to find them, I had only stocked that section about a million times. When I turned back to the registers, I got a sense of a strange presence. 

Across the near-empty store, I watched as a single deer stepped out from one of the aisles and stopped. Its reflection gleamed off the polished floors but its hooves made no noise against the tiles. It shifted its head and stared me down. Its huge black antlers left cracks in the cereal shelves backdrop. It sent a chill down the back of my neck, it felt so real but I knew that there was no way it could be. The two of us were locked for what felt like hours before it turned and strolled down another aisle without a sound. When my stupor was broken, I found myself drifting over to the row of shelves it had ambled down, but it was gone leaving me stuck in dreamy curiosity.

“Hey, Roy.” I was jerked back to reality. A fellow employee and classmate had spotted me and was waving me over to their checkout lane.

“Hey Martha, how’s it going?” 

“Good, good,” she paused for a moment before looking around to make sure we were out of earshot. “Are you going to Jamie’s party tonight?” 

“There’s a party?” I tried to sound intrigued, I really didn’t want to go to one at the time.

“It's gonna be huge! Her older brother is stalking all the drinks!” she whispered with excitement.

“Sounds coo-”

“You should totally go!” She scanned the eggs and tossed them in a paper bag. “I think it's gonna be a lot of fun.” 

“I’ll… I’ll see if I can make it,” I said while grabbing the bag. I waved as I went out of the glass doors into the frying pan parking lot. The heat was soaking into the pavement as the day went on.

I heard the screeching tires before I saw the speeding car. It was a couple of kids in my grade so baked they couldn’t tell their ass from their elbow. One of them had stolen their dad's Mustang and thought it would be a good idea to take it for a drifting joy ride through the plaza parking lot blasting the Scorpions. I had to jump out of the way as they shot by the store exit leaving me in a trail of tire smoke, looping around another row of cars. 

This was one of those moments where you could see the collision before it happened. Like when you’re watching a car chase in a show and you can see the back tires slip just a little too much. They lost control, I could see my car, thirty miles an hour, first contact, a spark. 

I stood in the parking lot turned pale yellow while flames danced through my car. The eggs had dropped to the ground where they shattered, spilled, and cooked on the hot pavement. I could hear Them hissing and howling as the pages from each story became crisp and chard. The ink was being burned to ash and whatever words bound them to the paper were gone. Everything seemed to blur while those idiots ran from the car. I just stood there, jaw dropped, unable to comprehend what had happened.

I didn’t pay much attention to what the police told me. Something about everyone being ok and stuff. The Pinto was totaled but that did not matter to me. Some of the typewriter keys had melted together and all the paint had burned away in the heat of the trunk. There was nothing left to speak of in the glove box. 

They followed me back home that night and circled the inside of the house. The birthday party was a blur. I found Them all cramped into my room waiting for me. Muddy shoes, bleached skull, a shadow on the wall. They were getting closer. They tugged at my shirt and pushed me around. They were using me as a puppet shoving me after I had tied Them up with a typewriter ribbon and locked Them up in a glove box. They taunted, They hissed and whispered trying to push me over the edge of insanity. They wanted payback. I wanted nothing more than to be left alone. 

“Are you going to Jamie’s party tonight?” The line bounced around my head. I knew it would work. It didn’t take me long to find the wagon keys. I was out of the house in a matter of seconds and speeding down the road. I could see Them lining the pavement. Some of Them sat in the back seat of the Plymouth with me hissing and screaming.

I stormed through the front lawn, the grass was coated in a thin layer of dew from the sprinklers. I could already hear the English Beat blasting through the large windows. The house looked like a circus tent with big lights and angled, pointed, roofs. It was bright, it was loud, it was everything I needed at the moment. I stood in the open doorway trying to take everything in. The entire class of 83 was in attendance. They danced and cheered without a care in the world while whispers slipped over my shoulder to my ears. It didn’t take me long to find the drinks out by the pool. An entire rainbow of glass and shapes lined the booze stained table. I didn’t hold back. 

As for my stories? Ohhh They were there alright, every single one of those bastards. The stained tie, the narrow white eyes, the half man-creature, the bleached skull. They hid between party guests playing lawn darts and outside windows pressing against the glass. They replaced my reflection in the windows and the face at the bottom of my cup.

I was going to drown Them, push Them out in a tipsy haze. The pine floors were moving under my feet. The world shifted and spun leaving me leaning against the sheetrock wall. I tried and tried but no matter how hard I went They still watched me. I clasped my eyes shut, They were waiting for me to slip, fall into the pit of insanity. The closer They crept the more time seemed to slow down. Minutes became hours, hours became days. The Thompson Twins were distorted. I was tired of this. They were filling the house, In the hallway, in the living room. There were more than I had ever seen at once. They were in my face, They hissed, They chanted.

“Bag your face, Baker.” I hated Sally. I hated that house. I hated the muddy shoes and the bloodied ax. They were only getting worse. They were reaching out with their cold hands, They brushed against my face and pulled at my clothes. I tried to fight back but They stepped away and I would stumble to the floor like a fool. They were pulling me around and pushing me into things. 

A table lamp fell to the floor and shattered into millions of pieces. I guess that was it for me. I was thrown out of the house by angry classmates. Face first in the grass I lay there while They continued to poke and prod me. The lights from the house extended across the lawn while I stumbled to the sardine tin with wheels. I turned it over, the engine rattled to life and choked on air. I glared at the windshield but I couldn’t see my reflection in the dark glass. 

The roads were empty, I saw no other headlights other than the pair of white eyes I could see sitting in the back through the rearview mirror. They pulled at the wheel and played with the lights. I had done just the opposite of what I had wanted. Rather than drowning them out, I had fueled them to torment me more. I wasn’t watching the speedometer, I wasn’t following the lines. I tried to force Them out, make Them go away, but I only shouted and screamed at Them, with Them. They didn’t care for the words that tore through my mouth like broken glass. They had finally done it, I had slipped, I had lost.

They flipped the headlights and messed with the windows. When the lights came on again, a pair of deer’s eyes were illuminated on the double yellows. I tried to swerve. I hit it straight on and went flying off the road rolling the car.

Twenty minutes later a couple heading home from a date at the roller rink found the wagon wrapped around a tree. When the ambulance came I was pulled from the car, I should have died but through some miracle, I was still breathing. In the police report, they stated that they never found any injured deer near the accident. They claimed that it must have just been my eyes playing tricks on me.

I’ve spent a good month and a half here in the hospital recovering from my head injuries. They put me in a room with pale blue walls and a single window. My driver’s license was revoked by the state and the Plymouth was beyond repair, but none of that matters. In the past couple of weeks, I haven’t seen a single one of those bastards. No man with a stain mustard tie, no shadow with pale white eyes, no fifteen-foot creature with a bleached skull. There’s nothing. I  finally got what I wanted. But after weeks of sitting in this bed, one question remains stuck with me. Is it true that they’re gone, or can I no longer see them, just like everyone else?