No Deal | Teen Ink

No Deal

May 20, 2020
By Via, Altadena, California
More by this author
Via, Altadena, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece is a short story and six google doc pages. At first it just started out as an English narrative but I decided to take shot and send it to a publisher!

I hear a knock at the door. Sahara looks up at me. 

“It’s fine. It’s probably no one,” I say wearily. The door shudders uncertaintly as they knock again. 

“OPEN UP!” a man’s voice yells from outside. 

I take Sahara’s arm and pull her away from the door. “Go wait in the closet while I deal with this.”

“But daddy-”

“Go. Now.” She hesitantly looks at me, and then runs to the back room. 

“OPEN UP, OR WE’LL-”

“Shut up, Harrison. He’s not going to come out of there with you threatening him,” another man’s voice says. 

My blood runs cold. I’d recognize that voice anywhere. I slowly unlock the drawer next to the door, and retrieve my gun. I hear a loud explosion as the man shoots open the door. “Oh, Kronos…?” He says in a sing-songy voice. “Where are you?” 

I step out of my hiding place and aim the gun at him. “Don’t move, Tanyor,” I snarl.

He laughs. “Oooh. Scary,” he says and flings the gun from my hand. It hits Harrison in the head. 

“What do you want?”

He looks at me. “I just wanna… chat.” He sits down at my table. “Have a seat.” One of his guards poke me in the back with his gun. 

I hesitantly sit across from him, where I can see Sahara poking her head out of the closet. I quickly motion for her to go back in when Tanyor’s not looking. “What do you want to chat about?”

“I have a project for you,” Tanyor smiles. “An experimental project.” 

I shake my head firmly. “No. I don’t do that anymore. I don’t want to risk it.”

“Don’t you want to hear the project first?”

I glance at the guards. “Does it matter? You’ll just kill me anyways.”

Tanyor laughs. “Oh, no. We won’t kill you,” he says motioning at the back room. Sahara comes, hovering off the floor, tranced by Tanyor. 

“How did you get the magic to work? It failed years ago.”

“No, it failed you. The experiments worked on me, however, it can only work on people...” he looks at Sahara. “... that I want to kill.”

“Your bluffing,” I snicker. “You wouldn’t kill an innocent kid.”

He peers at me. “Watch me.” He puts his hands around Shahra’s neck, choking her. She gasps.

“No! Stop! Please! I’ll do anything.”

He releases her and she runs to my side. “So you’ll help me with my project?”

I look at Sahara and then back at Tanyor. “I won’t make that mistake twice,” I say, reaching behind me and grabbing the gun from the floor. But before I can shoot it at him, he raises his hand towards Sahara. She floats off the ground, clutching her neck. 

“Choose Kronos,” Tanyor smiles, looking at me. “Kill me and the girl dies, or help me with my project and you get to keep her.”

“I won’t help you ever again. Just please, don’t kill my daughter.”

“No deal,” he sneers and closes his fist. Sahara drops to the ground. I run over to her, throwing myself onto her.
“No… NO!” I say, cradling her head in my arms. I look up at Tanyor who’s making his way out the door. “You will pay for this.”

Tanyor looks at Sahara and then me. “Thinking back to all those years ago… you should have killed me when you had the chance.”


I wake up to the smell of metal burning. My eyes flutter and my body tenses when I remember where I am. Still locked up in a cage. 

Dr. Parcelous is staring at me from the other side of the room. He walks over, a tray in hand. “Here’s breakfast.”

I don’t meet his eyes. “Let me go.” I’ve said this every day for the past nine years. And every day he replies with the same thing, “No deal.”

“What do you need me here for? I want to go back to my family,” I say looking down. “Of course you know nothing of family.”

He puts his hands around the metal cage. “You don’t know anything about me.” He stands up. 

“A long time ago my daughter was killed, because of me.”

“I’m sorry.”

He sneers. “It’s okay. Because finally, I’ve found someone to take her place.”

“Me…?” 

He laughs, dangerously. “Don’t feel so flattered. You aren’t going to become her. You’re going to… avenge her.” 

I gulp, backing into the corner of my cage.“What are you going to do to me?”

He sneers. “Don’t worry. I won’t kill you. I’m just going to take your radioactive blood.” 

“But I’ll die.”

He chuckles. “Well then I guess I will kill you,” he says taking a gun out of his pocket. “It’s a tranquilizer gun. Won’t hurt a bit.” 

Pain shoots through my left arm and I feel my eyes forcefully close. 


When I wake up, I’m in a dentist’s chair. I shift in my chair but my arms and legs are tied down. 

“Well, well, well. Look who’s up from her beauty nap,” Dr. Parcelous says, putting on rubber gloves. He pulls out a long syringe.

I struggle against the ropes on my arms. “Aren’t you going to put me to sleep first?”

He strokes his chin. “Nope!”

I sigh. 

“Ooh this is going to be fun,” Dr. Parcelous says, giddily and stabs the syringe into my arm. I scream. It stings my arm making my whole body flare in pain.
“Gosh. Don’t be too loud.”

He soaks up my blood and to my surprise it’s bright yellow. 

He laughs to himself and grabs a knife. I flinch at the sight of it. Then, surprisingly he cuts the ropes binding my arms and legs. 

“Y-you’re letting me go?” 

He laughs. “Please. You’re too weak to run away. In fact the only thing that might feel good right now is your cage. Huh?” 

I nod, and stumble out of the room and then quickly sprint off down the hall. Dr. Parcelous was wrong. For some reason, I wasn’t weak at all.  I turn the corner at the hallway and… come to a dead end. There’s a room to my right. I try the door but it’s locked. I hear footsteps turning the corner. Suddenly the door opens and an arm grabs me and pulls me in. 

There’s a young boy inside. He puts his finger to his lips. Once the footsteps retreat, I sigh in relief.

“Thank you.”

“No problem, sister.”

I stare at him in awe and then embrace him in a hug. “Logan? Is it really you?”

He nods. “Kronos kidnapped me too. Now I live here, making weapons for him.”

“Why? What does he plan to do with them?”

“He wants to get revenge on the people that killed his daughter.”

“We have to stop him. He’s evil!”

The door swings open. “I’m afraid it’s too late for that,” Dr. Parcelous says coming in. “Ah. A family reunion.”

I grab one of Logan’s weapons off the shelf. “Stay back.”

“Oooh scary,” he sneers. “And your little plan isn't going to work. I’ve already created the weapon. All I needed was your blood.”

I look back at my arm, but the wound is gone. “So what are we still doing here?”

“When I kill the murder’s of my daughter, I need you two to watch.”

“Why haven’t you killed him already?” Logan asks. 

“Well, after his memory was washed by yours truly, he doesn’t remember a thing about his past life. Or his magic powers,” he looks at me. “I don’t want him just to die. I want him to feel the pain that he caused me when he took my daughter’s life. And that can only be done with Leah’s blood.”

I glare at him. “You’re. A. Monster.”

“Why, thank you!” he says cheerfully. “Now let’s go. We have a… massacre to get to.”

He takes Logan and my hands, binds them with rope, and drags us down the hallway. Then he turns around. “Whoops! I almost forgot,” he says and reaches into his pocket. He stuffs wool cloths over our heads, blinding us. “Can’t know our location now, can you?”

After a while of walking and driving, he takes the bag’s off our heads. “Oh, look he’s outside. Must have been waiting for us.”

“Leah?” My blood run’s cold, for standing in front of us is Tanyor. Our father. 

“No...” I say, shakily. Father looks at Kronos, his eyes wide. 

He smirks at Tanyor. “Long time, no see.” Kronos takes out his gun and points it at Tanyor. “You should have killed me all those years ago.” Then he pulls the trigger.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.