The Note | Teen Ink

The Note

April 25, 2019
By loveoncoffee, Atwater, California
More by this author
loveoncoffee, Atwater, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
There is no living without surviving."


Author's note:

My friend went through something similar.

    It was dark outside. We had just left the movie theater and were walking home. Justin Slabb had just left to his house, leaving him and I alone in the dark. He was talking about what he wanted to do after high school at Texas University. I yelled at him playfully for him going so far away. Then we got to my house and he left for his. I was never expecting what he did when he got home…

Chapter 1

    “Today, we honor Jacob’s decision, even if it was not the right one. If anyone wishes to speak on his behalf, do it now.”

    “I want to speak.” I yelled to the pastor. “He was my best friend after all.”

    “Honey, are you sure? You’re very emotional right now.”

    “Yeah mom. I’m sure.”

    “Okay honey.”

    I walked onto the stage and looked into the cold dead eyes of my best friend. He was laying in his coffin, completely unsettled. He looked as though someone had struck lightning right before his eyes.

    I inhaled, “Jacob was the best kid and friend you could ever meet.” I said, fishing my speech out of my pocket. I had scribbled it down in such a rush that I could hardly read it. “He has been through thick and thin. And we have stood by each other’s side forever. I will honor Jacob and h-hope that all of y-y-you will-l do th-the same. Th-than-nk y-yo-ou.” I said, sobbing. I knew that Jacob wouldn’t want me crying but, what choice did I have? He was my best friend.

    After the funeral, we went home.

    “HONEY! TAKE A BATH! WASH THE BAD INFLUENCE OFF OF YOU!” My dad yelled. He didn’t care that my best friend just died. To him, Jacob didn’t exist anymore. Just because he killed himself. He looked down on people like that. He hated them with all of his heart. After he heard that Jacob killed himself, he told me that I was better off without him. That he was a bad influence. I yelled at him and told him that he could go to hell and that I hated him. He looked hurt and I smiled, then walked away.

    “OKAY! AND THERE IS NO BAD INFLUENCE! IF ANYTHING, YOU’RE THE BAD INFLUENCE!” I hoped he could hear me.

    I walked over to the closet where we keep the towels and grabbed a towel and walked to my room. I then grabbed clothes and ventured to the bathroom.

    I turned on my shower and took off my clothes. By the time I opened the door to the shower, there was steam everywhere.

    I went inside the shower and I broke down. I was crying my eyes out. I wasn’t making noise though.

    “HONEY,” my mom called, “WE’RE GONNA GO TO TARGET®!”

    “O-OKAY!” I croaked back. My voice cracked and felt raw.

    “Are you gonna be okay?”

    “Y-yeah mom. I’ll be-e fine.”

    “Okay. Be back soon.”

    Once I got out of the shower, I went to my room and got dressed. I always go to my room. I don’t know why I bother bringing my clothes to the bathroom.

    Once I was dressed, I turned on my phone to look at pictures of Jacob. I know it was sad but, he was my best friend. Key word, was. He freaking killed himself because he had such a bad life. Why didn’t he tell me. I’m was his best friend. As I keep saying. He used to tell me that his life was great. Then he just… killed himself?

That makes no sense. Unless… No that’s the stupidest idea. But what if…

No, Alice. That’s impossible. He killed himself.

But maybe he didn’t. Maybe there is a possibility that he was murdered. Or maybe he’s still alive!

No! That’s the most hopeless thing you can say Alice!

But… UGH! STOP THINKING LIKE THAT! HE KILLED HIMSELF!

“Honey!” I jumped. I hadn’t heard them come in with my thoughts swirling around in my mind. It’s a never ending tornado of depression, anger, and grief.

“Y-yeah?”

“Are you alright in there?”

I had then realized that I had not left my room. I walked out to my mom and dad on the couch. Mom smiling, dad scowling.

“Honey. We came across some news…”

“Yeah?”

“Jacob didn’t kill himself. He was murdered.”

“BY WHO?! I’M GONNA KILL THEM!”

“His parents. Apparently, they abused him and he threatened to tell the police if they kept abusing him. They killed him as soon as he got home that night.”

“The night we went to the movies?”

“Yes.” Dad grumped. Mom elbowed him in the side and he winced. I had to fight the urge to laugh.

“Your dad has something to tell you.” Mom urged.

“UGH! I’m sorry.” Dad said, rolling his eyes.

“For?” I pushed.

“Calling Jacob a bad influence and making fun of him and making you cry and all the other stuff I did…” He said, sighing.

“Thank you. You’re forgiven.” I turned to look at mom. “What are we gonna do with this information? Are we gonna go to the police? Or get them ourselves?” I said, raising an attentive eyebrow, smiling at the thought of twisting Mr. Kebroed’s (Key-bro-d) arm until it popped out of its socket.

“Neither? We aren’t gonna do anything. We are going to stay home, and watch you make the world burn for your best friend.”

“So… you’re making me do this by myself?”

“Yup.” Mom winked at me and dad looked like he just wanted a nap. I kind of did to.

“Okay then… I’m going to their house.”

“Be careful. They could hurt you if they found out that you know.”

“I know mom. I love you both so much…” I walked over to the red, furry couch we have, and hugged them. It could’ve been the last time.

“We know. Now go and beat their ass’s until there isn’t any ass left.” Mom winked at me and I smirked. Dad surrendered a small chuckle.

“Yes ma’am. Will do.” I snickered and walked out of the door. Before closing it, I yelled, “I LOVE YOU SO MUCH GUYS! FOREVER AND ALWAYS!”

I heard mom and dad’s faint voices behind the door yelling, “ALWAYS AND FOREVER!”

I laughed and stepped off the porch. “Here I come, you filthy murderers…”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.