I Forgive You | Teen Ink

I Forgive You

By SJTrefz, Brunswick, Ohio
SJTrefz, Brunswick, Ohio

Author's note:

I wrote this in my creative writing class, and it is a short story.

It was a dark night in Chicago. The sky was a wonderful shade of grey, polluted with all kinds of gasoline. Rain started to sprinkle down from the gloomy clouds, hitting against the window of Zak Edwards’ apartment. Inside, there he stood, over a pimpily faced teenage boy. In hand, Zak had a pistol, which was pointed at the boy’s shoulder.

“Why did you kill those people?!” Zak yelled, his voice rasp.

Bags of exhaustion rested under his eyes, a tint of red circling around his irses.

The ginger boy swallowed, hard. Tears burned bright in his eyes, his whole body trembled from anxiety.

“I-I didn't do it!” He yelled, as he struggled against the bounds of the chair. “I just work at Big Joe’s for cash, man!” His voice cracked under the pressure.

The door opened of the apartment, which revealed Ashley Kane, Zak’s partner in crime. Ashley’s dull blue eyes widened, confusion startled him.

“What… What are you doing with this kid, Zak?” He asked when he took a few steps towards his friend.

“He’s the one that killed those people,” He muttered under his breath, his voice was coated in disgust. “And he won’t talk!”

Zak pressed the metal of the gun deeper into the boy’s shoulder.

“I didn't kill those people!” He cried out, the tears poured from his eyes and onto his rough cheeks.

“All of the clues lead to you, just admi…”

“Zak, stop!” Ashley demanded after he stomped over to his friend, a firm grip placed on the brunette’s arm. “Put the gun down. He’s just a kid.”

Zak didn't say anything for a moment, his eyes looked the teenage boy up and down. He scoffed, ripping his arm away from Ashley’s grip. The blonde sighed of relief while Zak put the gun down, turning his head away from the two male’s in front of him.

“Sorry.” He grumbled out of frustration.

“S-Sorry?! That’s all you have to say?!” The boy cried, anger hinted in his tone.

Ashley laughed nervously, quickly untying the bounds that held the boy to the wooden chair.

“What can I do to make it up to you?” Ashley asked sympathetically.

The boy thought for a moment while he took his forearm and wiped away the tears. He sniffled.

“$300,” He looked up at Ashley’s soft face. “Pay me $300, you’ll be forgiven. Pay me $500 if you don’t want me to say anything to the cops.”

Ashley’s eyes widened. Neither him or Zak had that kind of money, hell they both lived in a run down apartment that they can barely pay for.

“Hey, Zak?” Ashley asked.

Zak turned to Ashley, the blonde motioned his head towards the gun. Zak nodded, a small smirk formed on his face as he pointed the gun at the boy. The ginger’s eyes glazed over with fear.

“O-Or $300’s good! Yeah, that’s good! I won’t say anything, p-promise!” He held up his hands. “Please, just don’t kill me!”

Ashley nodded once more to Zak, who placed down the pistol.

“Thanks.” Ashley smiled, lifting himself up from the ground, a wave of relief washed over him.

He walked over to one of the draws on a nearby desk, opening up a checkbook. That’s when his anger started to settle in.

“You know how to deposit a check?” He asked the boy, clearly frustrated.

As Ashley looked up, the fearful ginger nodded. The blonde wrote down $300, handing it to the boy.

“Here.” He muttered.

As soon as the boy had the money in hand, he dashed to the door, closing it with a loud thud.

Ashley then turned to Zak angirly, exhaling with annoyance.

“Why didn't you consult me first?” He accused Zak, who currently had his back turned to him.

Zak sighed while he shook his head, eyes followed the ginger boy who just got out of the apartment complex. The teen was running, the rain started to come down harder.

“I was sure that it was him. All of the signs pointed to him,” He looked back at Ashley, brown eyes shined with confusion. “Taking the heart of the woman who used to be his teacher,” He started to count off on his fingers. “Taking the sword from the museum, which reminded him of his favourite time era based on one of his essays I read. And then, the dead scientist who just went to Big Joe’s…” He trailed off into nothing, falling into the same wooden chair the boy was tied to. “I just don’t get it.”

Ashley shook his head, then walked over and placed his hand on Zak’s shoulder.

“I know, brotha but, you still can’t go and kidnap people. How did you even tie him up, anyway? More or less get him here?” Ashley asked curiously.

Zak took out rag from his pocket.

“Chloroform.” He muttered.

Ashley let out a sigh, taking the rag from Zak’s hand. He opened his mouth to speak, but, Zak shot up from the chair before he could get the chance.

“Brother!” He exclaimed, looking down at the relatively shorter male. “That’s it! Brother!”

Ashley shook his head, even more confused than before.

“What?”

“You said brother earlier, to me,” He pointed out. “The little girl, she was spared! She had the exact same facial structure, the same everything as Amy!” He ran his hands through his hair, letting out an exasperated laugh. “That’s it!”

“Amy?” Ashley asked.

Zak wasn’t listening, he was already in motion of putting on his shoes and hurriedly putting on his worn out sweatshirt.

“Zak, I don’t understand, what’s goin…”

“It’s Zane! Zane did this!”

Zak ran out the door with flying colours, followed by Ashley.

“Zak! Zak wait!” He, once more, got a grip on Zak’s bicep. “Zane is dead, Zak. We found his body two years ago after the Hockey Jock case.” He informed his friend.

Zak shook his head as he pulled himself away from Ashley. The rain fell onto the ground, and onto them.

“No, no Ash you don’t understand, listen to me!” He pleaded. “Amy was Zane and I’s sister. She died a long time ago, and Zane… well, Zane never got over it,” He took a deep breath. “We found his body, but you know what we didn't find?” He asked, though, he didn't give time for Ashley to answer. “We didn't find the noose that was supposedly the thing that killed him. We only found him on the floor.”

Ashley’s eyes widened, though, he shook his head. Water came off from his hair.

“Zak this is… this is too crazy! You’ve lost your mind about this case! It’s just the one that you can’t solve!” He groaned. “Just let it go!”

“No!” Zak yelled into the night. “Ashley you don’t understand!”

Ashley sighed, as he grabbed something out of his pocket.

“No, Zak, you don’t understand,” He brought it behind it back, which caused Zak to draw back a few feet.

His feet splashed in the new puddles that were created.

“Why couldn’t you just have listened to me?!” He sighed. “I didn't want to do this.”

In that instant, Ashley brought a fist to Zak’s jaw before the taller male could even react. Zak was knocked to the pavement below him with a groan. Zak’s world was starting to get blurry, taking his hands as he tried to push himself from off of the ground. Ashley’s foot stepped on the brunette’s back, pushing him back down onto the pavement.

“You know, sometimes, you’re so stupid smart, I think you’re going to kill me half of the time,” He laughed, looking down at a half awake Zak. “But, I just can’t have you snooping around anymore,” He got lower and lower to the ground, taking his foot off of Zak’s back, lifting up his head by his hair. “Sweet dreams.” He smirked, placing a rag over Zak’s mouth.

The last thing Zak saw was a black car approaching them, and then, his world went black.

---

His head was pounding, his back started to ache.

Where… where am I? Zak thought to himself.

Memories of hours earlier had started to flood back into his mind. His eyes shot open, only to be faced by the exact person he’s been missing.

“Zane,” Zak breathed out as he laughed softly. “Zane. What’s going…”

Zak realized his brother had a smile plastered on his face, and it wasn’t a comforting one either.

“Zane?” Zak asked, half hopeful that his brother was only putting on an act.

“Zak,” His brother finally uttered back. “Surprised to see you like this. Didn't think this is how the family reunion would have gone.” He drew away from Zak. “Thought I’d see you all in hell.” He spat.

Zak flinched to his brothers words. He looked down, only to see that he was sitting on a rather uncomfortable chair. His hands were cuffed behind his back, feet tied to the legs.

“Why did you do this?” He asked while he tried to struggle against his bounds.

Zane laughed once more, a deeper emotion was hidden throughout.

“Why? Are you just asking why?” He looked his brother in the same chocolate brown eyes. “Because! You had to be so much better than I was.” He scoffed, his smile started to fade. “Mom and dad? They were going to give me that treatment. But no! No you had to do all of the firsts.”

Zak shook his head, confusion swirling around him.

“Zane, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Mom and dad didn't treat you any less. They told me so.” He explained.

Zane scoffed again.

“So that’s what they told you?” Zak nodded. “And you believed them?!” Zane asked louder.

Zak nodded again.

“I’m sorry to break to you but,” He walked closer to his twin. “Mom and dad didn't. Infact, we were just apart of their little experiment.”

“What experiment?”

“Oh, right,” Zane laughed. “You didn't know.”

“Know what? Zane, what the hell is going on?!” Zak yelled, his shoulders shifted, hands fiddling with the metal cuffs that kept him there.

“Mom and dad killed Amy!” He yelled, tears burning in his chaotic eyes. “They wanted to see which child would have taken it better! And it was the one they spoiled!”

Zane’s hand collided with Zak’s right cheek, anger burning throughout his very soul.

“What? No… Zane, that’s insane.” Zak stated,  his loyalty to his dead parents started to fade.

“Why would I say that if I didn't mean it?!” Zane started to laugh. “And you know what the best part is? You fell right into this mess, Zak!  I got your attention, loud and clear,” Zane smirked. “All I had to do, was help Ashley with his little plan… now all we need,” Zane pulled out a knife. “Is you.”

Ashley emerged from the shadows of the seemingly abandoned warehouse.

“Ashley?” Zak asked, heartbreak filled him.

“Sorry,” Ashley laughed, edging closer to Zane. “But, your brother here? I’ve known he hasn’t been dead since the very day we found his body. You took so long to figure out there was no noose… That was the only flaw, wasn’t it?”
Ashley looked towards Zane, which the one holding the knife gave a grunt in response.

“You see, I couldn’t simply just, kill you,” Ashley started. “In fact, I hated your very guts from the moment I met you.” Ashley shook his head. “After all, you sent my father to death row. You really think I could’ve forgiven you?!” He yelled. “I realized you like puzzles, games. So, I gave you one. One that ran on for 3 years,” He laughed. “Each case got harder and harder. I honestly thought that you wouldn’t be able to sovle this one, and I’d just have to kill you in your sleep,” Ashley shrugged. “But, this, heh,” He chuckled. “This was much better. Seeing you lose your mind because of this? I gave no clues, barely any. You caught the fake but, you never suspected your dead brother and your best friend to do this. Now wouldn’t you?”

The tears started to fall from Zak’s cheeks eyes. The broken male looked up to the two standing in front of him.

“Why?” Was the only question that emitted from him. “I gave you a home, Ash. Your father? He was abusing you!”

“He did it because he loved me!” Ashley yelled back a fit of rage.

“And Zane?” Zak looked to his twin, who seemed to be avoiding eye contact. “I didn't know. If I knew… I… I would’ve done something. I would’ve made sure you were okay but we were so far,” Zak breathed out. “And Amy?” The tears overflowed once more. “That’s hard to forgive them. I forgive you. If I die today, right now, I forgive you. Hell, I forgive you even if I don’t die. Our parents? They’re not our parents. You’re right, they were monsters.”

Zane looked to his brother, finally. His were overwhelmed with tears.

“Well,” Ashley chuckled. “Great speech. But,” He tapped on Zane’s shoulder. “He’s not gonna fall for that. Ain’t that right?”

Zane didn't respond, only walked closer and closer to his brother.

“You… you forgive me?” He asked in disbelief. “Why? Why do you forgive me?! I killed 3 people, Zak. I killed our parents! You forgive me?! You say that now when it shouldn’t matter?!”

“Yeah,” Zak laughed weakly. “After all… you are my brother.”

Zane’s eyes widened. He dropped the knife.

“What are you doing, idoit?! Kill him!” Ashley yelled. “We’ve been planning!”

Zane look at Ashley.

“Deal’s off.” He murmured.

“You… you!” Ashley screamed, pushing Zane out of the way and kicked away the knife. He pulled out a pistol. “Fine! I’ll do it myself!”

Zane tried to push himself up from the ground. His eyes widened. It was happening so fast.

“NO!” Zane yelled, the tears spilling.

In that moment, Zak was free. Zane pushed the chair down, taking the blow to his stomach.

“I said, the deal was off!” Zane yelled through gritted teeth.

The chair that Zak was sitting on broke, the cuffs were lock picked. The ropes broke along with the chair. Blood seeped through Zane’s shirt, the twin coughing up blood.

“You dolt,” Ashley scoffed. “I’m going to really have to kill you, won’t I?” He grinned. “I’ll teach you a…”

Ashley was cut off when a knife went through his throat. As the body fell, so did Zane. Zak was standing behind Ashley, tears rolling down his cheeks. He ran to his brother, heartbreak and distrust filling him.

“Hey… hey stay with me,” He muttered to his brother. “Stay here, okay? I lost you once, I can’t lose you again.”

Zane laughed weakly, the blood spilling from his wound.

“Hey… it’s okay,” He chuckled. “I forgive you.”