The Newcomer | Teen Ink

The Newcomer

An introduction to the story.

On a cold dark night, people asleep all threw the neighborhood, except for one, a girl who decides to stay up all night attached to the internet chatting with people all over the world on facebook and listening to her favorite music on YouTube. Unfortunately staying up all night might not be such a good idea for her because the following day she starts her last year of school. She isn’t like the other teenagers at her school and she doesn’t mind to stay up all night. This may be her last year of school but she doesn’t care what will happen for many reasons, such as she’s a senior and she can finally be free from all the drama and the hell she faces from everyone who is around her. Before giving her name away she must be described completely. She is the type of girl who changes her attire every day, it’s the way she expresses herself, and for example she would wear black clothing to comfortable clothing to professional attire like dressing as an attorney or someone in congress even though she doesn’t understand politics. One thing she does understand is that she knows who she is as a person. Most of all, her favorite color is purple including black and red. She also loves to do her eyes by putting eyeliner on them and taking her time at it too. The type of eyeliner she uses is a black with a thin brush that is precise and makes her eyes more noticeable and beautiful. This girl has friends but she really doesn’t fit in with them or any crowd of people at her school which makes her the kind of person that she is. Also she doesn’t really care for the friends she has because of how they treat her as a person who may seem rude of her but really she doesn’t like being treated differently but as an individual. Her name is McKayla Emerson; the girl that stayed awake while everyone else was sound asleep on the cold dark night. That night was the night of a new beginning and the last for her high school year. The following morning on her first day of her last school year was the day that her life will change forever.

getting to know Leo.

Today, September 1st was the day I never knew would happen to a girl like me. It was my first day of my senior year and I didn’t get enough sleep last night because I wasn’t sleepy and I wasn’t ready to another year of high school even though it was my last. I knew this day wouldn’t change and be similar to any other day but then later during the week something unusual happened. A guy by the name Leonardo Pohl transferred to my school from Germany. He was quite odd and mysterious with his bright blue eyes. What I found ironic and odd from him was that he was in every class that I had. He would stare at me constantly and I felt sort of violated and intimidated from him staring at me. I wasn’t sure if he was staring at me for a reason or just to make feel uncomfortable. It was unlike guys to stare at people because it would be impolite and not right. After a few weeks has pasted he mysteriously came up to me and told me, “I think I know you,” I said to him, “No, I don’t think we know each other, but I do know is that you’re the guy that constantly keeps staring at me and I want you to stop or I will report you, because it not polite to stare if want to look at me take a picture it will last longer.” He commented, with innocence and sad because he didn’t want to harm McKayla or have her to hate him, “I apologize for starring I don’t mean no harm to you but your beauty attracts ma and I feel like I have known you.” I replied with regret for attacking him when I don’t even know him. “Known me?”….”Like I said we don’t know each other but I guess with your apology we could get to know each other and thanks for that random comment.” He replied, “Your welcome, and please let me introduce myself properly,” as he take hold of my right hand and kiss upon it he then says, “My name is Leonardo Pohl.” With the amazing accent I’ve ever heard. I then introduced myself with flattery from his introduction, “oh my,” along with the red appearing on my face as I blush with an appeal of starting to like his gentlemen appearance. But instantly I brought myself back to reality and abruptly pulled my hand away and said,”Thank you for the charming action but sorry I don’t know you and I don’t think I want to know you,” but really I did I wanted to know more than his name I wanted to know where he came from and what brought him here. I had so many questions but I didn’t want to ask him because of what he might do or say. There was some part of him that had my gut feeling raging about him might be something bad that I might not like. That night I decided to stay up again late and do a little research of my own then homework. I wanted to see if he is too good to be true or its just an act. I researched all night long until I fell asleep and I found nothing on him. As I had fallen sound asleep I had the strangest dream ever I was in some sort of forest running from something and I didn’t know what I was running from, only that I was running with no shoes and in my black silk dress. The next morning I had to tell someone about my dream to see what it meant. One of my closest friends told me that it could just be stress or something. Well that didn’t helped. So then I decided to follow Leonardo to where he lives after he came up to me again out of nowhere to tell me,” I remember where I know you from.” But he didn’t tell me where or how just that he remembers. Once he left my sight I followed him the day was beginning to darken, then I found myself at a cemetery where he was standing by a bulky tree in the shadows. I couldn’t exactly see him anymore; it was like he vanished in thin air, so I walked closer where I saw him last near the tree. I walked closer and closer without making a sound, as I came in contact with the tree it seemed like it grew in front of my eyes, I got a chill in my spine and I began to shiver as I never shivered before when I reached the tree, then I turned around and he was standing their behind me with a strange look on his face as if he was a predator about to kill me. As I looked nearer to his face I saw what I may not be able to take away from my memory, and that was blood dripping from his face his eyes changed from blue to beat read from when I saw him last. His structure changed too from thin with a little muscles to super strong and his skin was pale as white to a rush of red which darken to a normal tan that everyone has from the summer. I would be scared of what I witness from Leo but I just stood still and stared at him as he would to me. He spoke to me in a voice that didn’t sound like him but a voice that sounded evil on top of evil. It was so low, strong and deep it sort of frightened me and I made me think I was listening to the devil himself. But it was Leo I knew it was him because from what he was wearing when we were talking at school earlier. When he talked to me he said, “McKayla run go away and don’t look at me or else.” I replied with concern and bravery, “No I won’t leave you now I’m too involve I didn’t like you before because you would always stare at me and I was feeling creped out.” And then I said to him, “I need answers about a lot of things why did u say u remember where you know me from, I hardly go anywhere.” And he said with guilt, “I knew you from two years ago and a very long time ago.” I said with curiosity, “how, where, and when” he replied to me, “you wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” and he just vanished again in thin air without my questions answered. So then I ran out of the cemetery and head home with the same chill on my back as if he were still following me or staring at me. As I head home I couldn’t get rid of that image I saw of Leo. That night all I could see is his face dripping of blood from someone or somewhere. I wanted to know what he was because I got this vibe that he wasn’t human, he had to be something inhumane, evil then I thought of Vampire.

The following day I went to school hoping he would be there but as I look around in all my classes which he would be in, he was nowhere to be found. I brought a cross just in case to school and kept it in my locker but as I found out that he didn’t come to school I just left the cross there until the end of the day. The day was normal as usual, everyone being themselves and for once I didn’t have to feel as if someone was watching me. When the average day ended I head to my car and Leo was leaning upon it with his head facing down toward the dirty ground of asphalt beneath him. As I walked closer and closer to my car with my dominant right hand holding onto the cross ready to raise it up toward him, which was between two of my books. As I reached my car I asked him where he was today at school with a good amount of distance away from him because I didn’t know what he would attempt to do to me. Then I pulled out my cross in a flash as I walked closer towards him. Then he flashed behind me and whispered in my ear, “I would never harm you and your silly cross won’t affect me it’s a myth, I know you know what I am and if you want answers come back to the cemetery,” then he vanished and I just stood still for a moment as if I was frozen when he whispered in my ear and left with a shock still in my system. I did want answers from him including my questions about how he knew me and why I don’t remember knowing him. Those questions kept bottled up in me for days and days before I head back to the cemetery. I was scared inside but on the outside I was fierce where I can do anything. I really wasn’t aware what can or could take place when I reenter the cemetery again. That night I chose not to go to the cemetery because I didn’t feel ready to face what I would hear from Leo. Instead I went home and just thought and wrote about what he may say to me and what can or couldn’t happen. I enjoy writing very much it is what I do to feel better about what had happened and to change it in my writing to where I wish could have happened then what had occurred. The next day was Saturday a day where I can just relax and do nothing. Well unfortunately I did do something I was on the computer again trying to find something more about Leo before I go back to the cemetery where I laid eyes on someone who didn’t seem human but appeared evil and dangerous. As I was researching yet again I thought of looking up old newspapers from the old times when they first began to see if they still have newspapers that talked about killing or maybe even something about Leo and who he is. I found one newspaper that seemed very old that dated back to the 1600s when they first began in Washington D.C. before it was even called that. There was a picture on it with a man who looked similar to Leonardo. Along with a woman who looked young for her age well so did the man, they both look young as if they could be my age. As I look at the woman’s face again it gave me a chill she looks just like me in a strange dajavu kind of way. I couldn’t understand why or how that could be possible. Then I start reading about the picture with the man and the woman. It talked about many rumors about this couple. It said that some people thought that the man killed his wife, while others say that she died by child birth and then one big rumor said that the man vanished and never returned as if he killed himself without the body being found. I was beginning to be more curious than usual about what I have found on the internet. As I glance at the picture again I was certain that the man behind the woman looked exactly like Leo and the woman sitting in the chair that could resemble the color red. I said to myself am I a doppelganger or something I hope my life isn’t going to be like my favorite show Vampire diaries oh my, because the woman look so similar to me when I had dark hair. I decided to color my hair blonde because I wanted a new look for myself. Then I told myself from thinking for a while that I am glad Leo doesn’t sparkle like the movie Twilight I do like the movie just not about the sparkling part of it find it a bit funny including the actress who played the lead girl role in it. All of the information that is sunk in my head from reading the article about the man and the women who resembled both Leo and I gave me the determination to finally step up and ask Leo about that I read and witness with my own eyes. So I decided I would finally head back to the cemetery and get the answers that I am looking for.

I drove to the cemetery where I first witness the horror of what Leonardo is. As I entered the cemetery which would possibly be my death I was stunned of what will happen. As I came closer to the tree I realized that Leo wasn’t there as I thought he would be so I just waited their hoping he would show. I waited for about 15 minutes and then I decided I would call out for him in suspense that he would finally come and answer the questions that I have to ask him to be sure that he was what I thought he would be and to find out how he knows me and about the picture I found on the internet about how the woman and I look so much alike. I called out for him again and he stood behind me and whispered yes, which made me jump in panic and gave me a chill sensation as if he was there the whole time. He then asked me as I turned around, “So do you know what I am?” and I said, “I’m not sure of what or who you are but something evil I assume.” Leo replied, “then what questions do u have for me?” I answered, “What are you really, how do you know me, why do I look like this woman in this picture?” He answered, “I’m not human, and yes I am evil but not the kind of evil you may think I am, I do not harm people I had long ago when I was first reborn to this kind of world. I’m a VAMPIRE an IMMORTAL…LIVING DEAD. I knew you long ago until you died in front of me before I became what I am that’s why you look like this woman here her name was Ebony she was my wife.” I asked, “How did she die,” in concern. He replied in sadness, “my maker killed her to get to me which I found out ten years ago which my friend who was also a vampire but got killed by my maker and I fled here hoping for a new life because my maker didn’t like that I haven’t had human blood for a long time.” I then asked, “How old are you?” He said, well I been 17 years old since the 1600s just what you found here which makes me about 500 years old total. “How do I look like your wife?” I asked. He answered in an unsure voice, “I don’t know how but I think it is just fate, are you adopted,” In a question. “I don’t think I am,” I answered. “Oh,” he answered in a sigh. We talked for hours and I wasn’t concern to go home because I really didn’t want to all the information that I’m getting answered from Leo was starting to become interesting to me I all I wanted is to know more and more for so many reasons. He told me about his wife a lot as if he really missed her in every humanly possible way. He didn’t sound like a killer one bit but a harmless individual lost in a world that never ends to me I think he was only looking for a friend again, a friend he used to have before his life changed. All the information that I heard from him sound so tragic and horrible. He had told me that there were many times he had a good life through it all and some horrible times as well. He also told me that he lives here in the cemetery and that the sun doesn’t affect him only the light hurts his eyes time to time but that people stereotype what vampires really are. He said that not all vampires are killers and that they can eat human food and that vampires like garlic because it attracts them and that they are known for staring at someone that they either wants to kill or to get to know and like. He told me that he wants me because he feels that im the one even though he hardly knows me. I was sort of uncomfortable what he said because I didn’t know what to do or how to react to that statement. He said that he can take me any where I want give me a life that I would like but I wasn’t sure if I really want that sort of life all I wanted is happiness just like what he wants. I know he wants me but I told him I don’t know if I want to be 17 for the rest of my life which I told him. He then said that he understands and started to walk away and as he walked he then said something I never thought any guy would say, “I will somehow get you to like me and want me as much as I want you, I will be your prince you’ll see.” And then he just vanished like that. I went home with a bit of a satisfaction and thinking of what he said to me. All day the day after the incident with Leo, I had been thinking non-stop and unsure if I should give myself to him. I didn’t know how he knew that I always wanted a prince to save me from this life I am living in. Somehow he gave my hope of what I could consider. That day I was hoping he will bump into me to try to pursue me to be with him but instead he done something else. He came to me at lunch and quiet down everyone in the lunch room to get their attention which embarrassed me a bit of what he was about to do. He said, “May I get everyone’s attention please, I want to say that this girl McKayla Emerson is the best girl in the world and the most beautiful girl too, I also want to say this”….as he kneels down and holds my hand again he ask me, “McKayla Emerson will you be my girlfriend.” I replied with a blush and embarrassment, “Um, um, um, YES, yes I will Leonardo Pohl I would love to be your girlfriend.” Then he said as everyone awed and clapped, “I will always protect you and never lose you ever again I won’t let that happen twice to me I LOVE YOU.” Then he picked me up and carried me out of the school building and somehow got the principle to let him take me. He done something that I never knew would happen to a girl like me because I knew for a fact that I had never lasted long with any guy ever and I wasn’t sure if Leo and I would last long. After that day, every day was becoming more and more amazing already my life changed for better my parents didn’t care about that I wasn’t home a lot they were happy for me for once then a month went by and they died in a car accident and my life changed from happy to back to sadness. Leo told me their death wasn’t your fault but I think I have an idea who was at fault, my maker. I was scared and Leo had me to stay hidden so his maker won’t kill me. Leo and I stayed together for a long time longer than I imagined. I was happy I had someone who really loves me and proved his love to me by doing the things I’ve always wanted a man to do, like kiss my hand give me my shoe, even put it on when I don’t expect him to. He was the guy I been searching for, I just never knew it until now.