The Teal Door | Teen Ink

The Teal Door

November 16, 2011
By TopHatLover BRONZE, woodbridge, Virginia
More by this author
TopHatLover BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note: i had a dream once ;)

The author's comments:
its not edited yet im sorry my editor has to take over :)

Hi, my name is Katherine Mendez, or at least it used to be. I’ve been a sleeper for the last 20 years, but ill get into that later. This is my story.

Running unable to stop till she thought her heart was going to explode in her chest. Unable to think about where she was headed next, running away from the voices chasing after her. Her skin was crawling, the cold sweat beading on her fore head. Her heart raced as her eyes scanned the lowly lit room that was growing dimmer by the minute. The luminescent dancing balls of glowing light floating carelessly around her taunting her with every movement. With her breaths getting shorter and staler it seemed to pull the black walls drawing nearer to her. Her eyes filled with envy of the feeling of wanted to leave this horrible place never to return. Each of the beautiful yellow white orbs a faded memory, floating further away from leaving her in this strange dark cold place. Sweating and panting she stopped with an exhausted stop, the voices were growing nearer with every instant. Unable to think unable to breath she collapsed to the floor falling, sinking into the dark.

Katherine awoke on her back staring up at the creaking old, dust covered fan ceiling circulating the air slowly. Unaware if this was a dream or reality she laid in silence. As time passed ever so slowly she sat up trying to regain her breath. She whipped the sweat off her forehead and looked down at her clothes that wear now drenched in cold sweat. She took off the warm sheets and walked across the old cracked wooden floor. The floor creaked with every heavy stomp, still not completely awake. She stumped into her small bathroom and turned the rusty hot water nozzle. The steam rising into the atmosphere. She undressed dropping her sweat stained cloths on the floor, getting into the tub. Katherine dipped her hand in the hot water and splashed it on her face and took a sigh of relieve. Her memories foggy but flowed like the rippling bath water. She remembered her dream as a perfect memory, the fluorescent lights surrounding her, both beautiful and grossly disturbing, both taunting and inviting. The round orbs containing a single different memory captured only by a picture, floating away to never be seen again. She thought once more of the long lost memory of her parent flying away and wanting desperately for it would return.


After Kat’s refreshing bath, she got ready in her uniform and slipped on her dress shoes. She walked the nailed filled wooden floor and paused, dreading the day ahead. She put on a fake smile and went in the unsafe sunlit outside. The air was fresh and crisp and smelled just like fall. She took a deep breath and shielded her eyes from the blinding light; she quickly turned toward the shadows and waited for her eyes to adjust. Blinking rapidly she saw for an instant, just out of the corner of her eye. She saw a very tall, odd looking man. She only caught a small glimpse of him, but when she turned her head and he had vanished. Turning back to the light quickly raising her arm to hide her eyes her from the brightness of the sun she looked at the small watch on her wrist and the small ticks had moved buy with out her. She was already late for class. Kat forgot all about the man and hurried to science class. The hallways were almost empty except for a few teachers roaming the halls, trying to pick up the pace she bumped in Alice. The various mix of books and paper covered the halls. “Oh hey Kat. early happy birthday ”Alice said with a smile bending down to the ground.

“Oh crap, I am so sorry.” Kat said in a hurry, gathering up the last of her papers. “No it’s no problem but hey come to outside area at study hall alright.” before Kat could answer Alice was long gone. Still kneeling on the floor she sighed to herself as her heart sank a little bit more “ birthday…” thinking to herself as her heart sang a little bit deeper. She picked herself off the dirt stained hallway and ran toward science. Her determination seemed to slow with each step. Reaching the breaking point she ducked behind the corner and whipped the cold tears off her face and continued on. Not looking she bumped into the hard head banging door. “Ouch.” She said rambling and rubbing her newly bumped head. “No pass, no enter” the heartless Ms. Meclevey said with a smirk. Slamming the door shut. “What else can go wrong to today” she thought to herself in desperation.

Dragging her finger along the creases in the faded brick walls, lost in her thought she let her feet lead her to where they wandered. Block by the door, she returned to the world of the living and lost her train of deep thoughts. She turned her head to look at the broken clock meaninglessly hanging on the wall just to be ignored by everyone else. “That clocks been broken as long as I can remember always stuck on noon exactly.” She thought. Looking around her, the halls were empty no one else but her and the fluttered piece of lost homework on the ground. Getting lost in her thoughts again she was brought to attention by the sound of a large bang and a scream coming from behind the door.

“Hey!” she yelled trying to open the door but it was locked from the inside. “Hey! You ok?” she repeated jostling the doorknob. Still no reply, she banged against the door with all her strength and it burst open to reveal her friend Katie unconscious under the tall book shelf. “Katie!” she screamed in shock. Running over trying to pull her out from the towering bookshelf, she tried pulling and tugging her every way she could think of. She tried to pull the bookshelf but she was never very strong. “HELP!” but she was in the older side of the building this place was going to be torn down next year along with her moldy old room.

She bent down on the floor franticly looking over the pile of book and random leftover science equipment; looking for a gripping place. She gathered her little strength she had left and grasped the edge of the heavy bookshelf with all her might. Stressing and puling her finger tips to and extend. She managed to get it her knees. Knelling to the floor she got under it hovering over her old friend. The monstrous bookshelf leaning against her back, groaning in pain with her knees shaking violently the dusty untouched books fell left and right. And as she was trying her hardest, with her heart pounding the test tubes and beakers started falling from the top shelf. Unable to focus on anything else but the throbbing pain in her joints as the final test tube came trembling from above crashing upon her head. The shards flew in every direction. Falling seeing the earth fly upward as she fell. Her strength vanished, she and bookcase landed with a thump on the very friend she was trying to safe. Blood over flew on to the now open pages with the blurred words. Staining the floor red she let go consciousness and fell into the deep hole in her mind.

Once again, she awoke on the floor on the black obis. “Hello…” she yelled trying to stand, but fell back to the floor. With a few more failed attempts “Crap” she said felling lightheaded. She looked at her spinning white hand that stained the darkness. She held her head and sat for awhile and tried to stand again. With little trouble, she was able to stand. Bored and dizzy she walked the hazily familiar darkness. “Hello? Old lady? You here?” she asked but no one answered. She walked until she thought her mind was going to explode from boredom. Listening to any slight sign of a noise beside the echo of her incisive humming. But all was quite. She walked until she saw the hazy white line that separated the two worlds. Sitting down in front of the bordering line with nothing better to do.

“I spy with my little eye something black” she whispered in a low sarcastic tone. With a sigh she lay down and thought the thoughts she had thought of a million time sense she woke up in this uninhabited world. Her stomach growled breaking the silence in half. “You can get hungry in a dream go figure” she tried waking herself as best she could. After listening to the low rumble emanating from her stomach she got up and tried to leave. “up up and away! Wake up now, Bam, awaken when I snap my fingers! uhg these is annoying” sighing with boredom. She rubbed her and trough her black wavy hair. Trying to cradle her aching head “what the?” she said alarmed. She looked on her hand that was no stained red. She felt the cold dampness of her head and looked down in shock. She was covered in blood. She tried to scream but the sound got dragged into the dark fading world with her.

Her open eyes only seeing black, unaware if she was falling or merely lying on the floor. Blinking rapidly but when she closed her eyes opened in a different world or place. She saw not black darkness but instead light. That light, hurt her eyes, she covered her eyes with her hand and waited patiently for them to focus. “Damn what?” still unable to see in the blinding light. The beeping coming from beside her made her more and more aggravated. Her eyes came to focus after what seemed to be forever. She looked around the unfamiliar room and saw medical equipment and some small chairs. To right she saw Katie with a few bandages and IVU “oh god Kati...” she tried to say but was stopped by unimaginable pain. She whaled in pain the few seconds felt like years “My god” she managed to say through the screams of pain. Flopping around on the bed like a fish and holding her head so tight the nurses had to hold her down while she got her medicine.

She was still curled in a ball after several minutes after the pain receded. She eventually stopped hugging herself and whipped away the tear of her face. With a few deep breaths and a lot of courage she turned and asked the wide eyed Katie “are you ok what happened?” “You don’t know?” she answered with a puzzled look. “I was getting a book from the old science room and the dumb old shelf fell on me. If you didn’t show up I’d be in some trouble. The doctors said I only got a couple of fractures they said I’m pretty lucky.” With an even more puzzled look on her face Kat turned her head and thought. Rubbing her head, “Ouch! Gahhhhh that hurt.” Groaning, “That’s all awesome and everything but that doesn’t explain what I’m doing here.” She said questioningly. “Well I was unconscious when you came in I guess but Ms. Skeller said when she found us that you had fallen on top of me. They said that you should be able to go home tomorrow and your memories loss should only be short term isn’t that great?” Katie said with a smile. “Great? She’s always so positive.” Kat thought skeptically.

She smiled back and read the black an white captions on the sightline random TV new report they always had on in hospitals. “Wednesday on news channel 11…” it read. “What!?!?!?!? Wednesday? It was Monday a few hours ago!” Kat protested. “Calm down you were asleep for awhile and on meds for the other half.” She joked. “Not funny dude!”she said angrily Katie brushing her off as she continued humming humbly. Kat could only return with a funny face but the two just laughed. “Hey you up?” Ms. Skeller said with fake concern while she knocked on the door. Alarmed, the two giggling girls straighten their posture answered in unison “yes Ms. Skeller.” “Thank you nurse, I’ll watch over them now.” She said with the same fake smile that Katherine had seen thousands of times. She did it so often that they even had a name for it, the crocodile smile Ms. Skeller flashed the fake smile again to the doctor and all the girls could do was share a look. “Oh god not again don’t leave us!” they thought desperately. The doctors left the room with Ms. Skeller’s eyes glued onto them until they left the room.

She pivoted back in their direction with lose of expression in her face, but that laid back expression quickly turned to raged quickly when she closed the door. “What the hell were you doing in there you…” ranting into a low mumble. “Well I was getting some lab equipment from thee untouched stuff in the room.” Katie said trying to defend herself. “And I heard a scream coming from the room and I saw her on the floor” Kat said, -her memories had came back after the drugs wore off-“Useless” she said under her breathe, but the girls could still hear he low ranting mumble. Kat bit her lip from blurting out in angry rage. “I’m coming to get you tomorrow be ready.” she mumbled in a low groan she left the room as quick as she came “not quick enough” Kat thought as Ms. Skeller flashed one more final smile on the way out.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Dec. 19 2011 at 6:36 pm
TopHatLover BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
thank you!:D

on Dec. 5 2011 at 7:47 pm
I Loveeeeeeee This!!!!!!!Gr8t Job!!