The Castle of Blood | Teen Ink

The Castle of Blood

By hanksun2173, Beijing, Other
hanksun2173, Beijing, Other

Author's note:

I was initially inspired to write an urban fantasy novel about myths from reading Percy Jackson. The heroism of the books inspired me and I wanted to create something similar. However, I soon found a new purpose for the book. I want to write in stories and myths from different cultures, and not just the predominant Europe-centric stories we know today. I hope that this way, more stories can be preserved, and the culture not lost, as well as introducing them to the general public. Although this book is set in Europe, the rest of the series spans seven continents and collects myths from all of them.

This is an excerpt of my novel: Seven Continents, Seven Heroes II, The Castle of Blood. The setting of the story is that seven heroes from each continent had been chosen to defeat seven monsters on each continent and save the world. The except below happens at the end of the second book. They had just confronted and defeated the vampire, who is a monster that was launching an attack on Europe. However, Amy, one of the seven heroes tasked on the quest, had been captured and bitten by the vampire right before the fight finished.

“Amy!” Frederick rushed towards her. “How are you alive? Are you feeling ok?”

He turned around towards Silena, “Help!”

Silena rushed towards them and put her hand on Amy. Frederick’s father stared, unsure of what to make of the situation. For a moment, it all seemed to be fine. Frederick held Amy’s hand and looked at her, who was still looking dazed and unsure of what’s going on. Suddenly, Silena retracted her hand, staring at Amy was terror in her eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Frederick demanded. Silena shook her head.

“She doesn’t have any life inside of her. It’s like she’s dead, but…” her voice trailed off. Frederick knew what was going on.

“She’s turned.” Frederick’s father finished his thought. “Your friend is a vampire now.” A fireball formed in his hands, and he threw it at Amy.

“No!” Frederick roared in rage, and jumped in front of the fireball, taking the full force of it and getting thrown back, not before summoning his phoenix and standing in front of Amy. Frederick’s father was about to lecture him when Amy finally stirred, standing up towards the dark sky, her black hair shining in the barely visible light.

As Frederick looked, Amy’s eyes turned blood red, like the other vampires, and in a flash, she disappeared, only to reappear next to a Ventus clan member, biting down hard onto his neck, puncturing the artery and sucking the blood out of him. She lifted her head from his shoulder, blood smeared across her face, and laughed maniacally, something Frederick thought impossible coming out of Amy’s mouth. She dashed away from all the attacks of the other family members’ magic and sucked the blood out of another Ignis mage. Wind, ice, fire and rocks were thrown at her, but she stopped them in mid-air with her mind and threw them all back, killing several of her attackers. She tried to attack another Aqua member, but Frederick’s father summoned a serpent of fire, forcing her to back off. He willed the serpent to dash forward, but Amy stopped it with her mind, which seemed to have been enhanced after she became a vampire. Frederick’s father held his serpent as Amy slowly built up a whirlwind around her. Rocks, grass and other things were swept into it, slowly churning and shredding away at the fire serpent, until it was suffocated to nothingness. The Terra tried to build a wall, only to be sucked into the wind as well. Lucy managed to close herself, Silena and Justin off with another igloo, while Michael was too high up in the sky to be able to hear them, and he wouldn’t be able to do much either. Frederick’s father desperately tried to attack her, but the whirlwind sucked everything in.

Frederick was grief stricken. For a moment Amy had been found alive, died, and came back as a vampire. He wanted to fall down, but he knew he had to be strong for her. Even with her situation like this, Frederick believed that Amy was in there, and he had to grasp onto that last straw of hope. Because if he could not save her, then there was no point in defeating the vampires at all. He had to believe.

“No father!” Frederick shouted at him, “I can get to her!”

He stepped towards her, shielding his face with his hands, and moved step by step, towards Amy.

“Amy!” Frederick cried, “It’s me, Frederick! You remember me, right?”

Amy simply snarled. She tried to leap at him, but he managed to move out of the way.

“I know you’re in there Amy. You don’t want to keep doing this. Come on, remember who you are, this isn’t you.” He tried to step closer, a shield of lava in hand to block the rocks and twigs flying towards his face. Amy turned towards him, and he almost lost his footing seeing her eyes like that, fangs out and blood smeared on her face. She stared into his soul, and her voice appeared in his head.

“Too late Fred.” Her voice echoed in his head. “I can’t stop this need for blood, and nothing can stop me, not even you and your magic. Now let me go before I tear your arteries out.”

“No Amy, I’m not leaving you.” Frederick said firmly, stepping even closer. “You’ve always been here for me, for us, and we’re not going to leave you like this. I swear I won’t let anyone hurt you, no matter if you’re a vampire or not.”

Amy looked at him, and for a moment it was as if her eyes had cleared a little, less blood thirsty and more of the girl she was. Then, her eyes reddened, and she howled into the night, spinning the whirlwind even faster, and Frederick was almost thrown out. He encased himself with a ball of lava, and slowly marched towards Amy.

“Remember that time, in summer camp, when we went to see the stars in the middle of the night, and there was a meteor shower and it was beautiful, until it rained and we got all wet?” Frederick recalled one of their favourite memories, one so long ago when time was so different, and none of this monster fighting nonsense has been their life. He spoke out, though he doubted Amy could hear him over the storm, yet he said the words anyways. Amy would hear his thoughts, and he felt that this was something that needed to be said.

“And this other time, when we snuck out to get a snack and only to bump into a mountain lion. It was the first time you discovered my powers? We sat there on the porch of the common room, eating chocolate with shock blankets, and got yelled at by the dean for hours on end the next day. We laughed so hard afterward, and it was the first time I told anyone about my powers.” Even he smiled a little with that memory. The wind died down a little, and he slowly removed his protection, standing bare against the wind. The wind slapped against his face, twigs and rocks scraped at him, but he stood his ground.

“Or how whenever I received calls from home, you always seemed to know what was going on with me and were able to comfort me when I was forced to go back home. That last time before we left, I cried so hard in your room while you packed, and you just sat there, telling me everything is alright, that we’ll see each other again, even though I might never come back.” He now stepped next to her, and her eyes were clearing of the blood-red hue. She stared at him with a hint of the sparkle in her eyes he remembered from so many years ago when they first met.

“We called so many times over the school year it was crazy, and the one time your parents walked in on you dancing like crazy with me on FaceTime, and they looked so scared for a second. And that one time on our last trip to fight to Yeti you came to my tent and we talked about magic long into the night, about our journey, how impossible it seemed then, and now it looks so much easier. We got through that, and we can go through this, together. I will never leave you, and I’ll always be here for you, like you were there for me. I swear it Amy, I swear it on the fate of the world I’ll never leave you behind, or let you get lost on your own. Whatever challenge comes, we’ll always face it together, as we have always done.”

He now stepped towards Amy, until he was next to her, and now he could see that it was Amy. The whirlwind had died down, and Amy looked up at him, with a mixture of feelings. Frederick held out his arms, and hugged her tight, close to his body. Despite all the blood, he could smell her, the scent of Jasmine that Amy somehow always carried.

“Frederick,” Amy’s voice quivered. “What are we going to do?”

“I don’t know,” Frederick answered, “But whatever we do, we’ll do together. Amy, I love you, and nothing is going to change that.” He bent down his head and kissed her. A long kiss, and despite the blood he couldn’t taste anything but the sweet taste of flowers on Amy’s lips. For the moment, Frederick closed his eyes, and pretended that they were all alone in a field before dawn. The whirlwind died and exposed the rest of the world. As the sun slowly rose, light suddenly flooded the field, and the rays of sunlight filled him with warmth. They stopped, and stared at each other, full of love in their eyes. Suddenly, Amy bent down on her knees and screamed. It was a moment before Frederick realized what was happening. Now a vampire, Amy could no longer stand in the sun without burning up.

“Lucy!” Frederick cried, “Get Amy some cover!”

Lucy rushed over and made a dome of ice, covering Amy from the sunlight. She stopped screaming, and sat down on the ground, panting. The burn marks quickly fading away.

“I love you too Frederick.” Amy managed to say, before she fainted.