The Boy Who Saved The World | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Saved The World

Errowhren is a lovely place, Reader. But you must know it does have flaws. Lovely flaws of course. But as the word flaws suggest, Errowhren is not perfect. And there was one family in Errowhren, in particular, that was imperfect. 

The last name was Tempus. Caerwyn was the mother’s name. She was from a long line of important enchantresses. She married Asher Tempus, who was from a long line of warlocks. Together they had 6 children. 

Miya was the oldest. She was talented at art and could perform household magic. Next came Holston. He was good in combative magic. Then came Aiden. He was a warlock, like his dad, gifted in the talent of the elements. Next came the last girl: Zarya. She was a sorceress like her mother. The next boy was named Raven. He was gifted with the tongue of animals. 

But the youngest Tempus was Jorryn. Jorryn was an unusual boy. He hated anything to do with outside and loved his school work. And he was endowed with the gift of Time. 

In this story, Reader, we focus the 12-hour event that took place on the 5th day of the 13th week of Jorryn’s 15th year of life. 

“Jorryn, now,” Caerwyn Tempus snapped, angry, for she had told her son 3 times to get to school. Jorryn picked up his things and left for school. 

It was a 13.338-minute walk from the Tempus household to Ammaherst Institute for Gifted Children. Believe me, Reader, Jorryn knew that it was a 13.338-minute walk from the Tempus house to Ammaherst.  He was talented in that way. Jorryn arrived at school at exactly 7:59 am Errowhren time. 

“Jorryn, over here,” Chasm called. 

Chasm Vorago also attended  Ammaherst Institute for Gifted Children, and he came from a newly introduced line of magicians. He was good with void magic, the kind that bleeds dark and evil. But no one knew that except for Jorryn. What Chasm showed the world was his talent with the arts. He was very good at carving and was a danger with a paintbrush in his hands to even the best artists.  

“Hey, Chasm,” Jorryn said, his scowl turning into a half-smile. They walked into the school and into Mr. Attica Malum’s room. He was a terrible teacher and had a horrible attitude. Jorryn and Chasm, quite frankly, hated his guts.

The bell rang at exactly 8:12 and Jorryn dropped into his seat in the back of the room. 

He was a smart boy, with good looks: black hair and green eyes, and a tall kid. But he certainly didn't use that to his advantage

“Settle down,” Mr Malum said, sternly. He walked to the front of the room and then began to teach. “As I was talking about yesterday, magic is complicated. And to control it, you must keep all emotions in check…” He started. He paused. “What Jorryn?” He said gruffly. 

I will remind you, Reader, that Jorryn did mean well. He just… had different thoughts about things.

“I disagree, sir,” He said promptly, “I think you control magic WITH your emotions. If I withheld my emotions, I couldn’t control my magic. And therefore, you are wrong.” 

The class murmured in agreement and Mr. Malum growled. “While that may be true for you, it doesn’t happen for everyone.” he grinned sinisterly, and said, “Using emotion is only for unskilled and immature little brats.” 

Jorryn fired back and said, “ Oh, well then NOT using emotions is for, cold-hearted, mean and terri...” That’s as far is Jorryn got before Mr. Malum stomped to the back of the room, picked him up, and hurled him out of the room. 

“GO TO THE HEADMASTER’S OFFICE NOW!” he roared. Jorryn picked himself up and walked the all-too-familiar path to the Headmaster’s office: Up the stair, down a corridor, in through the office, down a short hallway, and into the Headmaster’s Office. 

“Well well well,” The Headmaster said dryly, “Jorryn Tempus, I think you set a record for being in the Office 761 times in the last year. Man oh man what a record.” 

Jorryn smiled grimly and sat down in the worn leather chair. “Listen, Child,” the Headmaster said, “I have to send you home. You can’t be here and get thrown out of every class. Go home, and think of how tomorrow you will BEHAVE like a normal citizen of Errowhren. Now!” 

So Jorryn got up and went to his locker. He grabbed all of his stuff and began the 13.338-minute journey home. He got home and put his books up.. And that is when he noticed the clock. 

“Mom. MOM!” Jorryn Yelled. 

Caerwyn Tempus flew down the stair, her face twisted with fury. “Jorryn Christopher Tempus, why on EARTH are you home and what is the matter?” she shouted. 

“Well, I’m home because I got kicked out of school for calling the teacher cold-hearted and vile creature!” 

immediately, his mouth was filled with soap. “What did I tell you about talking bad about people,” his mother scolded. 

Jorryn spit out the rest of the bubbles and shook his head angrily. He then pointed at the clock. “And that’s what else that happened.” 

Caerwyn gasped and immediately tapped her knee thrice. A hologram appeared and a monotone voice said, “Hello, you have reached the Council of Errowhren. Please state your business.” 

“Caerwyn Tempus, From the line of Parcells’ and Jorryn, minor, to report impaired magic. 

“Thank you,” the voice said. 

A frumpy man appeared on the hologram and said, “Ah dear Caerwyn, what seems to be the problem. 

Mrs. Tempus justed pointed her finger to the clock. 

“Oh.” the frumpy man said, frowning, “Me and Stitchzel will be over in five flat.” Caerywn nodded and ended the hologram. 

“Oh Jorry, what did you do?” She sighed, sitting on the sofa. 

“Ma,” Jorryn protested, “I didn’t do nothing.” 

“Anything dear.” his mother reminded him. 

Jorryn nodded his head and then walked to the clock. It was a rather nice Grandfather Clock and it was the biggest clock in the house. But now, the numbers were backwards and the hand moved counterclockwise. 

He traced the face of the clock and noticed a tri-lined note.  It read: you have 12 hours to fix the clock: or else the world will churn to a stop. Tempus child, you must save the lives of your people from the curse of the Voids and their evil plot.

“Ma, read this,” Jorryn said, His mother quickly scanned the note and she turned to him. 

“Child, you have 12 hours to save the world. 

“What… why… how.. Not me… I don’t know how...” Jorryn Stuttered. He just flopped down onto the couch. “I can’t even do sufficient magic!” he stressed. 

He glanced at the clock. It read 12:52. Only 11 hours and 8 minutes until the destruction of Errowhren.

“Mom I can’t do it,” Jorryn Said in tears. 

His mom looked at him in the eye and said, “Jorryn, I have always thought you could do whatever you want.” 

Tears poured down Jorryn’s face. “I have to try.” he thought. 

He wiped his tears and raced to his father’s study. “Magick’s Most Evile, The Eye of Maginimnon, Hocus Pocus; Guide to Advance Magic, Where is it?” He Mutters, skimming through his father’s books. “Ah found it,” Jorryn said, pulling out a thick volume of Magic VS Time. 

He opened it and turned to Page 790 for the chapter Misfortuned Magic and reversal of Time spells and potions. He then turned a few more pages for Time reversal. The page said in spidery handwriting:

Time may be the hardest thing to reverse. But a nifty little spell will do it all. Ingredients include

The eye of a Grapiner Beetle
The Wings of a Nixie
The stone of a Bestiale(Crushed with a silver blade)
Powdered lacewing
The essence of lavender
Crushed montackes
The horns of a horned vacliuressed
Poison of a basilisk
Poison of a Monalift
The saliva of a Nikarnj
Hair(Tail) of a unicorn
Estimated Time- 8 Hours

Boil water in a cauldron. Add Powered lacewing, The horns of a horned vacliuressed, The essence of lavender and The Wings of a Nixie. Stir this in 8 times counterclockwise and the water should turn a shade of teal. Then let simmer for 2 hours 

Then add both poisons and the Saliva of a Nikarnj. The solution should now be a Light shade of lavender. 

Stir 3 times clockwise.

Let simmer for 1 ½ hour

Press the juice out of one stone of a Bestiale with a silver knife. The best way to get the juice is to crush the stone with the flat of the blade. The Solution should now be Indigo. Stir once both ways and let simmer for ½ of an hour

Add The Hair of a unicorn and the crushed monalifts. Stir once both ways. The solution should now be a deep maroon. Let simmer for 2 minutes & 22 seconds and then add the eye of a Grapiner Beetle. Stir 5 times clockwise and 19 times counterclockwise. The solution should now be blood red. 

Let simmer for 4 hours       

For this spell to work, you must sacrifice a life force as well. Any life force will work, from a plant to a human. At the end of the spell before the sacrifice, you must chant “Tempus est restaurata, resituit enim fluxus normali sitam.”  After this chant, sacrifice the life force and a drop of “blood” must touch the spell in order for it to work. Best of luck. 

Jorryn bolted down the stairs and into the living room and found his mother occupied with George Bolinger and Gavin Stitchzel, from the Council of Errowhren.

“Mom,” Jorryn stated, “I found a spell to reverse time. I have to go, though, because it takes a long time.” 

His mother took one look at the predicted time and said, “Go!” 

Jorryn took off. 

Reader, If you didn’t know already, He was headed to an Apothecary. Bert’s Apothecary to be exact. 

“Bert, Bert, where are you?” Jorryn yelled, dashing through the dusty aisles of the store. 

“Jorryn me boy,” Bert said, waddling to the front of the store. He was a chubby man with a little beard and a large chin. 

“Bert, I need all of these things,” Jorryn said, showing his list to his friends. 

Bert’s eye widened when he saw the list. “This will cost ‘ah a fortune ya know.” He said, cocking his head. 

“Don’t worry about the money,” Jorryn said sternly, “Just get me the items.” 

“Aye,” Bert said, “I jest can’t get you Powdered Lacewing, the eye of a Grapiner Beetle, or the Poison of a monalift.” 

“Okay,” Jorryn sighed. 

Bert measured out everything needed and gave it to Jorryn. “Eighty-five whrens,” he said, ringing up the total. 

“EIGHTY-FIVE WHRENS?” Jorryn gasped. He had only brought 120 whrens and still needed 3 ingredients. 

“I told ya it wouldn’t be cheap,” Bert said, shrugging his shoulders. 

Jorryn counted out the money and left in a hurry, dear Reader, for he had to sprint to his grandmother’s house for a cauldron and for the three ingredients he was missing. He rang the doorbell, and his grandmother, Elouise, answered it. 

“Jorryn my dear, what a surprise!” She said happily. She welcomed him inside and gave him some water. “What brings you here, child?” She asked. 

He explained his situation and his dire needs. “Do you have Powdered Lacewing, the eye of a Grapiner Beetle, and the Poison of a monalift, as well as a cauldron?” asked Jorryn. 

“I do,” she said cheerfully, despite the troubling news he had brought her. She sashayed out of the room and Jorryn heard her rummaging through her supply of items used for witchcraft and wizardry. She gracefully leaped back into the living room and gave him three labeled vials, which he added to his collection of things he had bought from Bert, and a cauldron. 

He put all the items in the bag into the cauldron and got to his feet to exit his grandmother’s house. “Thanks, Grandma!” he said, nearly flying out the door. He hurried the street and nearly bumped into someone. 

“Sorry,” he mumbled. 

“Jorryn?”

Reader, Errowhren had many coincidences. Ones like this always happened.    

“Chasm? Why are you out of school?” Jorryn asked, shocked as his friends stood in front of him. 

“I just left,” Chasm said, shrugging his shoulders, “I hate school.” 

Jorryn nodded his head and explained his troubles. 

Chasm widened his eyes and said, “Wow, it must be hard. Can I help you.”
“Why sure, it will make things easier,” Jorryn agreed, glad not to go through the labor by himself. 

They hurdled back down the street to the Tempus household and set up in Jorryn’s unfinished basement. They lit a fire underneath the cauldron and put water to boil in it. 

“First, we have to add the Powdered lacewing, The horns of a horned vacliuressed, The essence of lavender and The Wings of a Nixie to the pot,” Jorryn told Chasm. 

While Jorryn ran to get a wooden spoon, Chasm carefully added the lacewing into the cauldron. He then added the essence of Lavender and watched as the solution turned a nice shade of lilac. Jorryn came back and added the horns of a Horned Vacluiressed and the solution bubbled vividly, and it turned a lovely Baby Blue. He lastly added the Nixie wings and then the solution turned turquoise. 

“Can you stir it eight times counterclockwise?” Jorryn asked Chasm. He walked over to the pot and stirred it 8 times counterclockwise. It began to thicken and darken to become teal. 

After Chasm stirred it eight times, Jorryn said, “We have to leave it to simmer for 2 hours. Do you want to see the clock?” 

“Sure,” Chasm replied. They emerged, sweaty from the steam pouring out of the cauldron, into the living room. Jorryn pointed to the clock. It now read 2:37. 

“2 hours have gone by since I last checked. Only 9 hours and 23 minutes until the destruction of Errowhren,” he whispered, troubled. 

Chasm shook his head in disbelief. “I still cannot believe this is happening,” he murmured. 

“Ah, this is freakin’ me out. Let’s get outta here.” Jorryn said with a shutter, “My mom told me that all the clocks in the whole province of Errowhren have changed like ours. Anyways, do you want to go get ice cream? We have exactly 1 hour, 54 minutes, and 14 seconds until we have to add more ingredients.” 

“Sure,” Chasm said with a smirk, “whenever I’m sc-sc-scared, I always get ice cream.” 

Jorryn punched Chasm in a place you can imagine would hurt, reader, if you are a boy. If you are a gal, thing of where boys get hurt the most. Yep. That’s where.

Chasm doubled over, crying in pain. Jorryn walked out the door with a smirk on his face. “You coming?” he asked wickedly. 

Chasm just groaned and mutter, “You jerk!”

Jorryn and Chasm got back to the Tempus household and went straight to the basement. The clock read 4:40. “Three minutes left until we have to add the saliva of a Nikarnj and both poisons,” Jorryn said. 

Chasm looked through the book and said, “Notes on the margin of this book says for a better solution, mix the poisons with some armadillo bile for it not to explode.” 

Jorryn shot to his dad’s apothecary cabinet and got some armadillo bile. He grabbed a large flask and mixed the poisons with the bile. He stirred the mixture together and poured it into the solution. It turned a deep shade of violet. 

“Chasm, can you get me the Nikarnj Saliva?” Jorryn asked, working a sweat. 

Chasm handed him the bottle of saliva and Jorryn poured it in. The solution inside the cauldron suddenly turned lilac and gradually turned into a beautiful lavender. 

“Stir it 3 times clockwise,” Chasm told Jorryn, who picked up the wooden spoon. He stirred it and then put the spoon on the counter. 

“We have another hour and a half until we add the last of the ingredients,” Jorryn said, glancing at the last ingredients. 

“Yeah, let's go do something,” Chasm said. 

They shuffled up the stairs and Jorryn read the clock. It was 5:15 

“Only 6 hours and 45 minutes left,” Chasm said fearfully. Jorryn shook his head and walked out the door, Chasm following.

*****************************************************************************

Dear Reader, you must think everything was going good for the two young boys. But I must assure you, Reader, that Errowhren is faulted. Something bad would come.              

“Chasm, crush the stone please,” Jorryn asked. 

Chasm crushed the stone into a funnel that led to a small glass vial. He picked up the vial when the stone had been pressed completely out of the liquid and gave it to Jorryn. 

“Another note in the margin says to add a spring of lemongrass for best results,” chasm added helpfully. When Jorryn didn’t answer, Chasm got the lemongrass himself and added to the small glass vial. 

“Oh, thanks,” Jorryn said, shaking his head, “I was in a daze.” He shook shoulders, wiggled his fingers, and added the mixture in the vial to the cauldron. It pleasantly bubbled and turned a lovely shade of indigo. 

“Man, we have to wait again?” Chasm wailed. 

Jorryn just looked at him. Chasm’s eyes widened and he shook his head. “No, that’s unstable,” he argued. 

“I can do it,” Jorryn pleaded, “It will help.” 

Chasm just sighed and said, “Fine.” 

Jorryn placed his hands on the cauldron and on Chasm and closed his eyes, concentrating his emotions of fear and excitement. 

The room began to spin and Chasm screamed, terrified. Jorryn stopped the overflow of time when his mental mind got to 28 minutes past the moment before. He brought the cauldron and his friend to the real world, 28 minutes past the last moment. 

“I hate when you use time,” Chasm groaned. 

Jorryn smiled and got up from the ground.

Chapter 5

Jorryn went to the table of ingredients and added the Unicorn horn and Chasm crushed the monalifts. He poured the powder into the mixture and with the spoon. It turned to a deep maroon and Chasm smiled at the correct solution color. Jorryn stirred it once clockwise, then counterclockwise. 

“We have to let it simmer for 2 minutes and 22 seconds,” Chasm said, reading from the book. 

“Okay,” Jorryn respond. 2 minutes later, Jorryn added the last ingredient: The Grapiner Beetle’s eye. As he dropped it in, it bubbled vigorously and turned a blood red. 

“Just four hours until we have to add the blood!“ Jorryn said excitedly. 

“Oh joy,” Chasm crowed, “Just FOUR more hours.” 

Jorryn scrambled up the stairs and glanced at the clock. It was now 7:39. “We’re cutting it close on time,” he called down the stairs. Chasm appeared onto the landing. 

“Oh no,” he said. 

Miya, Jorryn’s older sister, appeared in the living room. “And what do you think you're doing home?” she asked snidely. 

Out of all of Jorryn’s siblings, Jorryn disliked Miya the most. She was bossy and stuck up, and acted like everyone else knew nothing. 

“Um, saving the world,” Jorryn replied. 

“Hmmph,” she said, glaring at him. “Does MOM know you’re home, ‘saving the world?’ Huh?” 

Jorryn rolled his eyes and said, “Yes Miya, queen, Mom knows I’m home. Now get your nosy butt out of my business.” 

He walked out of his house with a look of triumph when he saw his sister’s look of horror on her face. Chasm followed. 

The afternoon sun was fierce in Errowhren, Reader, but today, there was no sun in sight. Only darkness. Everyone in the providence of Errowhren was curious why the stinging sun was not indeed out to torture. 

As Chasm and Jorryn walked down the street to kill time, Mr. and Mrs. MaConney stopped them. 

“Have you stopped time again, boy?” Mr. MaConney barked. 

“No sir,” answered Jorryn. 

“Then what happened to the dear darling sun?” sniffled Mrs. MaConney. 

“I don’t know ma’am,” Jorryn responded, untruthfully, “I was wondering the same thing myself. Going to see my dad down at the council's headquarters.” 

“Boy, give us the new if you get any,” growled Mr. MaConney. 

“Yes sir,” answered Jorryn, continuing down the street. 

The two boys hurried to Mr. Asher Tempus’ office in The Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He was the head of that department. 

“Hey, Dad,” Jorryn said, entering his office. 

“Hey, buddy,” Asher Tempus said, “Hey Chasm. Whatcha doing?” 

“Waiting for the solution to simmer for a couple of hours,” Jorryn said casually. 

“Yeah, I heard what you’re doing for Errowhren. Your ma told me,” His dad commented. 

‘’It gets really boring just waiting,” Chasm said. 

Jorryn’s dad laughed, and with a twinkle in his eye, he said, “You could always use Jorryn’s ability to twist time.” 

“Yeah, we could,” Chasm said reluctantly.

Reader, for some time now Jorryn had been summoning enough strength to jump 3 ½ hours. So when chasm finished his comment, everything went black.

Chasm got up, groaning again. “I hate when you do that,” He complained. 

Asher threw his head back with laughter. Jorryn glanced at the clock and told Chasm, “We better get back to the house. It’s getting close to time.” 

The two boys bid Jorryn’s father goodbye and left at once. They arrived back at Jorryn’s house with ten minutes to spare. 

“Let’s find something living,” Chasm suggested. They scouted around the Tempus property. They found a small mouse and a fox and brought them into the house.  

Chasm opened Magic VS Time and said, “Hey Jorryn, the book says that the solution needs to be continually stirred as we add the life force.”

“Okay,” Jorryn said, shrugging his shoulders and grabbing the wooden spoon from the counter 

“Now boys, Imma afraid I’ll have to stop you there.” 

Chasm and Jorryn turned around in shock to see Chasm’s father, Daemon Vorago, stood at the base of the stairs in the tempus’ basement. 

“Dad?” asked Chasm, puzzled. 

“I can’t have you finish that potion,” Daemon said steadily. He turned to his son. “We’ve worked so hard on this. We can’t stop now. 

Jorryn’s blood went cold. “What do you mean?” He asked with a look that could kill a thousand men. 

Chasm gulped. He looked at His Dad and he nodded. “Um,” Chasm said nervously, “Us Vorago’s have been plotting to take over the world for several generations. And my dad found a way to do it. That’s why I offered to help you. But now, after your hard work and desire to save the world, it really inspired me. And I want to be good.” 

“What?” roared Daemon, enraged. 

Chasm turned to Jorryn and said, “Finish the potion, I’ll fend off my dad.” 

Jorryn nodded, hurt by his friend's betrayal, and continued on to the cauldron and slaughtered the fox. 

Meanwhile, Chasm rubbed his hands together and shot a bolt of dark energy towards his father, who easily deflected the energy. Daemon shot his own bolt of energy. It flew past Chasm and hit the wall, melting it. Chasm had secretly been practicing the art of Dark Magic and Had improved, while Daemon had been out of practice for several years. But they were still evenly matched

Reader. The fox’s blood was within the pot and Jorryn was chanting. But the fox’s death wasn’t strong enough to reverse time. Jorryn could just feel it. But he kept going. 

He chanted “Tempus est restaurata, resituit enim Fluxus normali sitam!” over and over again. But nothing worked. 

Jorryn glanced at his watch. It was 11:55. “Five minutes until it’s too late.” He muttered to himself

Now reader, if you hate terrible endings, you may as well just shut the book cover of this book, lie down, and take a small nap. 

Jorryn frowned at the uncooperative potion. He thoughtfully sat there, trying to think of a solution

Chasm was in trouble. He had fallen and his dad had taken advantage. Daemon threw bolt after bolt after bolt of dark energy and He was not tired, unlike Chasm himself. He had to make a decision, quickly. 

He summed up all he had left and threw the energy at his dad. It hit him and the big man went down. Chasm sighed with relief as he got up, exhausted. But that was a mistake. 

“I won’t die until you do, blood traitor!” He screamed, throwing one more bolt of dark energy. It hit the ground close to Chasm’s feet. It knocked him off balance and he sailed through the air. 

He screamed in anguish and hit his head on the wall next to the cauldron. It gashed his face and broke his neck, killing him immediately. 

“NO!” screamed Jorryn. He had 2 minutes left, and he jumped to his side to hold Chasm’s lifeless body. He closed his eyes, focused on Chasm’s body, and reversed time. 

Chasm’s bones joined back together and the blood seeped back into his face. He was raised back to life. He breathed once and twice and then his eyes fluttered open. 

Jorryn hugged his friend and said, “Welcome back.” 

Chasm smiled. 

Jorryn, sapped from his big time reverse, laid his hand on the cauldron. A droplet of blood dripped into the cauldron. The cauldron roared to life and Jorryn leaped back. It smoked and bubbled, and whistled and popped. 

Jorryn and Chasm hovered over Misfortuned Magic and reversal of Time spells and potions. 

“What did we skip?” asked Chasm. 

“I don’t know I don’t know!” Jorryn stress, scanning the pages. Then he spotted the answer. “The cauldron will blow up when the solution is ready.” 

“We’re going to die,” Chasm said sadly. Jorryn nodded and put his arm around Chasm, scared. Then, the pot blew.

Errowhren is a lovely place, Reader. But you must know it does have flaws. Lovely flaws of course. But as the word flaws suggest, Errowhren is not perfect. 

2 year ago, from this very day: The 5th day of the 13th week of the anniversary of the Savings day.  

2 years ago, two brave boys, Jorryn Tempus and Chasm Vorago, saved the world of Errowhren. Their memories are stored in a quiet, quaint cemetery down Mychal’s Court Road. The plaque between the two graves says: Here lay the two saviors of this world: Jorryn and Chasm. These brave boys fended off Daemon Vorigo, an expert in Void magic. They saved Errowhren from destruction.

Asher and Caerwyn Tempus were a very lonely couple after this incident. All the kids had moved out after the death of their baby brother. 

But within their dark world, they remembered what their son had done for them. 

For Errowhren.