Kin-dness | Teen Ink

Kin-dness

By LisaO, Riverdale, Maryland
LisaO, Riverdale, Maryland

Author's note:

I worked on this sci-fi piece for an English assignment. 

This is a sci-fi short story. 

People couldn’t do anything but cry. 

“Some alien species smarter than humans came to earth with a technological virus that infected all the devices on earth” was the buzzword “the virus somehow stops the movement of electrons in closed circuits.” In the year 2364, everything was done electronically. Humans haven’t walked since the year 2050. Electronic hover chairs became the norm. Humans stopped developing most major muscles since the 2200s, right after assistant androids became accessible to the middle class. “What do we do??” cried Susan, the president of the United Nations. “Where is this alien thing?? Go kill it!” she commanded her assistant droids. Until she realized nothing works, the droids can’t talk back.

Everything from flying cars, stoves, teachers, stores, everything was electronic. People stopped going shopping, people didn’t work in shops; humans didn’t work at all period. If you needed something your droid assistant went to get it at the factory. With these human droids around, people didn’t use money anymore. It’s been so long that most people haven’t even seen money before, they’ve only learned about it in their digital history classes.

“So every human on Earth is done for, there’s nothing we can do, no one knows how to walk, cook, kill, anything, we’re all going to die!” exclaimed Mark, the US representative in the UN. “Not a soul” Susan replied “Except. Remember the Greenlandian people who moved to the North Pole after the caps melted in 2126?” 

“Yes Susan, i remember.”

“And how they moved there to create their own society that lacks most of our new technology.”

“Oh yeah, they basically live in 2001” he chuckled.

“Mark this is not the time for jokes.”

“Sorry” he replied.

“Anyways, if we can find a way to communicate with these people, they can help us kill this alien and remove the virus like they would’ve 300 years ago; we’ll be alright after all.”

“Maybe we could mail a letter with a gas boat.”

“Wow Mark, you actually suggested something intelligent, how fast can these boats go?” 

“Lets just say it can get there in about 3 1/2 hours,”

“Perfection” Susan replied. 

By the time the letter arrived in the North Pole most people already found a way to get places around the house, mostly to the fridge or pantry. They knew that’s where food was kept, but have never been in it. People learned to fall out of their chairs and roll to get where they needed to go. 

Although the most they could get to eat was a couple snacks or some bread, it sustained them for a night.

Once the Greenland people received the letter, the prime minister of Greeenland, Mr. Walker, flew over on a plane to meet with the members of the UN the next day. Since hover chairs could also fly long distances, there was no need for planes in this modern day world anymore. 

“Good morning Ms. President and UN members, it’s my pleasure to be here.”

“Good morning Mr. Walker how are you today?”

“Good, and yourself?”

“I’m doing fine, thank you” She replied. 

“I received your letter miss president, how exactly would you like me to help?”

The meeting lasted about 20 minutes. Everything was clear and concise, Susan had already had an idea on how to kill it; It was Mr. Walker’s job to figure out what mechanism will be used for his death. The alien was located somewhere in New South Wales, Australia. After it’s aircraft entered our atmosphere yesterday morning, everything electron based stopped functioning. They’ve seen one head shaped object peek out a window, and it hasn’t moved since then. 

“So you’re going to kill this thing from outer space with Kin-dness, a danish term right?” Susan asked. 

“Yes” Mr. Walker replied “This method of extermination has been used since the year of 2015.”

“I trust your decision Mr. Walker, how quickly can you complete this extermination? The people will soon begin to die.” 

“As soon as 5 hours, would you and someone else like to join me Ms. President? I have a couple more seats in my private plane.” 

“Well I'm not sure, I’ve never been in a plane before” Susan trembled.

“Don’t worry it’s fun” he replied “Let’s go.”

“We can’t walk remember” as she pointed to her legs.

“I have some wheelchairs on my plane, I thought you would need them, we’ll push you.”   

“Vi går sammen med denne magtfulde fremmede og overtager verden” Mr. Walker whispered in Danish to his assistant that flies the plane. “Taking over the world has never been easier.” He thought evilly. 

Little did Susan and Mark know, ever since the Greenlandic people moved to the North Pole they became curious about finding people, or things, similar to them. They’ve been doing alien research for over 2 centuries and know a lot about them. This day was a dream come true. Greenlandic people never liked the rest of the world, and this was their opportunity to take it over. They realized how powerful this alien is and decided to take advantage of that. 

When they arrived in Australia, they landed far from the alien aircraft so it isn’t disturbed. 

“Stay here and take this” Mr. Walker said as he handed them a large shiny microscope. “It’s called a microscope, you can watch as I kill the alien.” 

“We know what this is, we’ve been using it to keep track of the alien movement. Although ours is more advanced, it can calculate distance and things of that sort.” 

“Ok so you know how to use it.”

“Yes sir” Susan replied. 

“Alright, I’ll go over there with my assistant and handle the alien, you stay right here, don’t move.”

“Ok don’t forget the Kin-dness protocol” Susan reassured as he walked away slipping a gun in his pocket. They didn’t know what a gun was either so Mr. Walker didn’t bother being slick with it. 

“Are you ready?” Mr. Walker asked his assistant.

“More than ready” he replied. 

They were more than prepared to handle this alien. 

They approached the space craft. 

The interaction was quick. The alien made an earthly name, Broderick they saw in the window, meaning famous power.

“Greetings oh great one” they bowed fearfully. 

“I will annihilate you, 10 feet!” it commanded from the window. The alien had already adapted to the English language the two days it was here. The alien spoke English. 

“I have come to surrender, but the people of this earth want you dead-“

“Sssss” it sounded. 

“But I have a compromise.” 

It suddenly became intrigued. 

“Let us destroy the entire human race, sparing my people of course, and you shall become King” Mr. Walker explained.

“Yess” it said with a hiss “With your knowledge of this planet, and my master intellection, I can-” it cleared its esophagus, “We can take over this entire planet!” 

Mr. Walker was very shocked, Broderick was being very compliant. He stepped out of the aircraft and Mr. Walker grinned. 

“It’s coming out of its aircraft, look!” Susan exclaimed. “Operation kin-dness has commenced.”

Susan watched as Mr. Walker removed the gun from his pocket. “Our first victims are over there” Mr. Walker told his assistant and Broderick. “With that shiny microscope next to them, I could make a shot from a mile away” he said cunningly. “The don’t even know how to move in those wheelchairs, foolish humans” Mr. Walker’s assistant added.  

*Boom boom*, Susan and Mark went lifeless. 

“Impresssive” Broderick remarked. 

Hours later, the alien restored electron movement in the North Pole and already wiped out half the human race with crazy rays that come out its aircraft. 

5 years later…

The radioactive material from the aircraft stayed in the earth’s atmosphere and began to break down. The people of the North Pole slowly got cancer and died out. Those who were treated successfully inbred. The resulting population couldn’t live for more than 10 days due to mutations in their DNA. That was the end of the human race. 

Little did they know this was the plan of the alien the entire time. It and it’s family have been taking over the galaxy, one planet at a time.