to be continued | Teen Ink

to be continued

By jstarr098, Eugene, Oregon
jstarr098, Eugene, Oregon

Henry

In a room without curtains, I felt drained. It was like my battery had run out. All I really did was focus on writing this new book. Other than that I spent a lot of time sleeping, sleeping it all away. Sleep, sleep into wonderment, drown out the sensations that plague my day. From the sounds of the walls holding their breath, away from the ash clung air that seems to penetrate my nose and mouth at every inhalation. Let the dream fade it all away. Yet, for some reason it seemed I would get even more tired every day. 

Despite the endless effort that drained life from me to finish this novel I was caught off guard to find out the book I had been working on didn’t sell as much as I’d hoped. Getting up from my slummy bed, I tried to see if there was any food in the fridge. Nothing. Not even instant noodles, I’d have to go shopping.      

In the town where I lived there are only warehouses, companies, and factories. The only way to get food and daily essentials is by crossing this bridge over the wide river, and going to the supermarket on the other side. I wished there was at least a McDonald’s nearby. I’ve always hated going by myself to diners and street stalls. 

In the brisk winds of November I tried to analyze my thoughts on the walk down to the market. It felt like I had swallowed black ink. I understood the story in my head, but why couldn’t I write it? I feel like I have no reason to write now, but why is it so painful if I don’t? No matter what I do, I fail.

With everything.

“Henry?!” Nina’s voice breached my mind with footsteps quickening towards me as I turned to see her. Her face lit up so brightly it was blinding. It reminded me of the blinded light mirrored off of a river. No matter where I walked, it felt like I was in a dream. I couldn’t hear the sounds of the city very well, and the town seemed to flicker in black and white tones, but as soon as I saw her running, happy to see me, it felt like the world lit up in living color before me. “Are you going to the store” 

“Well, uh-“

“Me too! Let’s go together!”

She lead, and I followed, who would not have followed. On the way back we stopped at a cafe, the sign glamoured a house made chicken soup, which I’m sure tastes just like any other kind, but how Nina’s eyes sparkled with wonderment. That sight of excitement alone made me happy, and that loneliness I previously felt doesn’t feel so strong anymore. 

“I’ll buy you some.” 

“WHAT! I couldn’t let you do that!”

“It’s alright, it’s only $10, don’t worry about it.”

We talked the moments away, and what her voice said, laced with happiness, took me back a little. 

“Listen!” she half yelled “We’re having tempura tonight! Tempura qith pumpkin and onions, and when Sis deep fries them they’re so delicious! So I thought -- you should come over to our house! Let’s have dinner together!” 

Guess I won’t be having instant noodles tonight.